Ashley Barnes, The Latest: Ashley Barnes Signs for Burnley *Confirmation*

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Barnes is the biggest enigma I have ever seen play for Brighton.

I have never felt he is striker. He is a just a hard working utility player who when on form can score goals.

He has limited ball talent, but yet can score great goals, as Bournemouth away shows for example.

He has improved this season in the role of holding the ball up, but never really looks a threat in the way Ulloa does.

He doesn't ever look like a Premiership player.

I suspect in the right type of team he looks good, in the wrong type he looks rubbish.

Overall if he left for a good sum of money I wouldn't be disappointed, and I would be fascinated to see where he goes and how he does. Burnley strike me as a good fit for him, Leeds I think would be a nightmare as I don't think his style would endear himself to the home support.

I agree with most of this. I really like the kid, he worked very hard, scored some important goals and somedays was fantastic. Hard to leave him out, but at the same time I felt it was tough to fit him into either Gus' or Oscar's style and perhaps we'd be better off going down a different route.

He reminds me a lot of Dirk Kuyt at Liverpool, or Jon Walters at Stoke, not quite a striker, not quite a winger, can't really play in the hole behind the striker - good footballers that manager's like but without an obvious place on the pitch.

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
No - this is against the rules. We are absolutely not allowed to reach such an agreement, for a permanent transfer. Of course, should Barnes pick up a minor injury in training, the day before the game, that would be okay..

I'm not going to say it but I'm not looking forward to us playing at Burnley now :(

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
Good luck Barnes if he goes. Not the end of the world. Players will come and go but the club keeps moving in the right direction. If he and Bridcutt are gone, move on - we still have a good squad and plenty of time to bring in another player or two.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I've some shit on NSC this week but that is the biggest one yet. He never fitted Gus's tactics, but I can see him working amazing well in Oscar's more direct team.

IF he comes back as fit as he was before, and that is a big if, I can see him having a huge impact for us.
Thanks for the glowing reference. The main downfall with CMS is that he can't shoot, he surprises us now and then with a worldy but when it comes to bread and buttet finishing he has no technique and no composure. Sure he can run and run and run but his striking of the ball is atrocious. You can't teach striking instict. For me he's just a very impressive athlete that can play a bit of football.

D

Deleted member 22389

Who are the Barnes haters going to target now, at least they have got their wish. Not surprised he has gone, he took a lot of crap.

The Legend that IS Lawro

It's 'canard' Del
May 8, 2013
Burgess Hill
Thanks for the glowing reference. The main downfall with CMS is that he can't shoot, he surprises us now and then with a worldy but when it comes to bread and buttet finishing he has no technique and no composure. Sure he can run and run and run but his striking of the ball is atrocious.

Gotta say from what we've seen so far, that is a reasonable précis. Hopefully a different system will reveal new skills.

seagullsdaz

May 3, 2009
Brighton
Time for someone to make a youtube video compilation with all the goals Ashley Barnes's scored for the Albion with some shit music to accompany it!

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Who are the Barnes haters going to target now, at least they have got their wish. Not surprised he has gone, he took a lot of crap.

Wonder who they'll focus their attention on now.

I'm sorry if Ashley does leave, its not just the goals he brings, but defensively he is outstanding, his ability to find the 'soft under-belly' of a team in terms of space is excellent and he also can cross a good ball as well.

Could prove to be a big loss as well at this level.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
I am a real fan of Barnes but along with most others, I think if he's stalling on a new contract with is or we don't want to offer him one then it's the right time to cash in for 1M or so, a player I really like as he has that never give in attitude but it's the right time to sell, that can't be argued.

Cheers Barnsey :clap:

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003

Spanish Dave. He's already the reserve target for the Barnes haters who sit near me.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Singing Bye Bye Ashley Ashley Barnes :-(

If it is Burnley and he teams up with Vokes, there will be quite a few with egg on their face when two players, dispelled by many on here, bang them in.

Bridcutt I can get over(although he is obviously quality). Barnes has hit me HARD.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Spanish Dave. He's already the reserve target for the Barnes haters who sit near me.

Id say Bruno could be it when he returns.

Very disappointed Barnes is going and I reckon he will be a hit at Burnley. We will certainly miss his versatility too, though signing Joe Mason from Cardiff would cover us on the striker front.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Id say Bruno could be it when he returns.

Very disappointed Barnes is going and I reckon he will be a hit at Burnley. We will certainly miss his versatility too, though signing Joe Mason from Cardiff would cover us on the striker front.

As a point of interest, if Joe Mason is any good why isn't there a queue of Championship clubs looking to sign him?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports