Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashley Barnes saves Leo from yellow card

TheDuke

Oct 28, 2011
Arundel
Don't know if somebody else has mentioned it somewhere but I was watching the highlights on seagull player and when Barnes was on the floor after the red card challege the Brighton player next to him (can't remember who it was) looked like he tried to kick Barnes in the back, he seemed to kick the ground just underneath him. Anybody else notice that?

Funny you bring that up 'cos I noticed it and it seemed it was a teammate pissed off with Barnes giving it too much writhing on the floor. It was a player wearing Black boots with 3 'Adidas' white stripes. I've looked and looked at the Seagull Player but cannot figure out who the player was. Any better 'eagle'-eyed fans... if you'll excuse the expression.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Funny you bring that up 'cos I noticed it and it seemed it was a teammate pissed off with Barnes giving it too much writhing on the floor. It was a player wearing Black boots with 3 'Adidas' white stripes. I've looked and looked at the Seagull Player but cannot figure out who the player was. Any better 'eagle'-eyed fans... if you'll excuse the expression.

Black boots are usually only worn by Upson and Bridcutt from memory although they seem to change every game. so who knows, i doubt there is anything in it.

TheDuke

Oct 28, 2011
Arundel
Black boots are usually only worn by Upson and Bridcutt from memory although they seem to change every game. so who knows, i doubt there is anything in it.

Yes it was definitely Upson. The other black boots were Painter but his are Puma. So it was our Matt trying to give Barnesy a reminder not be silly!!!!

Apr 12, 2011
Well played barnsey for doing what he did. That being said, with playoffs being secured and Leo I believe being on 4 yellows it may actually have worked in his favour to get his suspension out the way before they start.

It has come up on here before but I can't remember how the card situation works, but is there a truce for the playoffs on cards? If Leo was to get his 5th card vs Wolves would he still miss the first leg of the semis?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Well played barnsey for doing what he did. That being said, with playoffs being secured and Leo I believe being on 4 yellows it may actually have worked in his favour to get his suspension out the way before they start.

It has come up on here before but I can't remember how the card situation works, but is there a truce for the playoffs on cards? If Leo was to get his 5th card vs Wolves would he still miss the first leg of the semis?

The cut off for 5 cards was MONTHS ago!

He'd need to get to FIFTEEN to get a ban at this stage of the season!

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

I wondered if it was that reason as well

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I am pretty sure Upson was just flattening a divot of turf protruding just under Ashley's back :smile:

Magic Sponge

Jun 17, 2011
House In The Hill

I think Painter was wearing black boots with white emblem on them?

Edit: No, just checked, Painter in Nike I think and Upson In Adidas

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As a slight aside.

Matey who kicked the ball out from under the Swansea ball boy, got mentioned the other day on Football Weekly.

Everybody had to pause for a few seconds until the remembered the massive front page news, national story, from just 3 months ago.

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
I think that the length of Ashley Barnes' ban has given him time to reflect on his silly ways, and has hopefully come back a better player for it.

Just imagine the improvement if he had bitten the referee instead of trip him!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
As a slight aside.

Matey who kicked the ball out from under the Swansea ball boy, got mentioned the other day on Football Weekly.

Everybody had to pause for a few seconds until the remembered the massive front page news, national story, from just 3 months ago.

That overage surly big girl's blouse of a ballboy deserved a kick imo :shrug:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
That overage surly big girl's blouse of a ballboy deserved a kick imo :shrug:
It was funny the way James Richardson, Barry Glendenning et al had completely forgotten about the whole event, even though they must have dedicated half a podcast and a full Guardian front page too it.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I liked how Spanish Len kissed the invisible tattoo on his arm :lol:

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Agree with the sentiments about his disipline. Think he'll take this last chance.

As for the he'll shine if we go up part........... think we were all confident he'd step up to the Champ and he has, but I do think the Prem is a different thing all together. The jump is massive and while some will do it just fine I'd be amazed if he's a 35 game a season starter

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
There was another incident near the end when Barnes and a Leeds defender went for the same ball. It cannoned off one of them and went behind - the Lino indicated goal kick, although I was pretty sure it was a corner. Barnes just turned round smartly and ran back to the centre line. A month or so ago he would have been mouthing off to the Lino and possibly got a booking.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
There was another incident near the end when Barnes and a Leeds defender went for the same ball. It cannoned off one of them and went behind - the Lino indicated goal kick, although I was pretty sure it was a corner. Barnes just turned round smartly and ran back to the centre line. A month or so ago he would have been mouthing off to the Lino and possibly got a booking.

That is good news. He will be a better player if he concentrates on the game and forgets the perceived injustices that seemed to upset him. I always think that is a load of old tosh when they say "he won't be the same player if you take that out of his game".

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here