Ashley Barnes - Enough is enough......

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Winning and stiil not happy, Barnes now playing in his proper position today and takes 2-mins to score can't do better than that

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Let's not get carried away.Barnes did ok today but he scored a goal which he couldn't miss but missed 2 pretty good chances as well.
Played ok but no one should be raving or slagging him off.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Did well enough, but then didn't even get a shot away at least twice, in good positions.

Same old ambivalent Barnes for me.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Let's not get carried away.Barnes did ok today but he scored a goal which he couldn't miss but missed 2 pretty good chances as well.
Played ok but no one should be raving or slagging him off.

Yes he did miss a couple, but his all round play and ability to hold the ball up is what we have been missing. His contribution to the team throughout the season, has been excellent, he does a great job wherever he plays, but like all players has his off-days.

I am sure Ulloa will be the first choice and if Vicente comes back, Barnes may not even start, but he is an undoubted asset.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Never been his biggest fan, but he was great today.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Absolutely terrific today. MotM for me. And for Gus, as it goes.

Exactly.

Some people on here drive me mad.

"his goal was a tap in" - yes, the exact type of goal people like YOU have a go at CMS for not scoring.
"one swallow doesnt make a summer" - oh shut up. You'll clearly never like the guy if you can't recognise a good performance on its own merit.

Barnes impressed me for 2 reasons:
1 - finally he is allowed in his preferred centre forward position and he scores in a minute and then occupies the defenders for the second. It was an absolute JOY to see the ball knocked up to the front man and have it STICK to him. Chest control was lovely and some excellent little lay offs. I remember one bad pass by him in the first half.

2 - second half he is clearly swapped with Buckley to halt the threat of Jamie Ward who looks dangerous on the Derby left. There is no head down after being moved. There is the same old barnes running all the way back to help his team out. Heading away 2 or 3 corners also in the second half.

THEN after all that he STILL gets up the pitch for a break away (even though he's shattered), is caught by the defender but still has te awareness to play in another attacker (I believe orlandi eventually missed from close range) and people COMPLAIN about what he did! He's just cleared a corner and run the length of the PITCH.

If he'd scored a hat trick of tap ins people would complain they were easy. It's sad but it's true.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Held up and laid off the ball better than CMS does most games, got into good positions, fluffed a few but seeing as he hasn't played in that position for ages, I was we'll impressed with him today.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Exactly.

"his goal was a tap in" - yes, the exact type of goal people like YOU have a go at CMS for not scoring.
"one swallow doesnt make a summer" - oh shut up. You'll clearly never like the guy if you can't recognise a good performance on its own merit.

1 - finally he is allowed in his preferred centre forward position and he scores in a minute and then occupies the defenders for the second. It was an absolute JOY to see the ball knocked up to the front man and have it STICK to him. Chest control was lovely and some excellent little lay offs. I remember one bad pass by him in the first half.

2 - second half he is clearly swapped with Buckley to halt the threat of Jamie Ward who looks dangerous on the Derby left. There is no head down after being moved. There is the same old barnes running all the way back to help his team out. Heading away 2 or 3 corners also in the second half.

THEN after all that he STILL gets up the pitch for a break away (even though he's shattered), is caught by the defender but still has te awareness to play in another attacker (I believe orlandi eventually missed from close range) and people COMPLAIN about what he did! He's just cleared a corner and run the length of the PITCH.

If he'd scored a hat trick of tap ins people would complain they were easy. It's sad but it's true.
Completely agree. Barnes and Bridcutt are the backbone to the team. At last Bridcutt is getting the praise he is due. Hopefully Barnes will soon get the same overdue gratitude.

Silk

May 4, 2012
Uckfield
Exactly.

I think people just don't watch him. Maybe it's harder to appreciate what he does because he tends to play in different positions, but we always look a better team when Barnes is in there.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Nice to see Barnes back in his proper position and thought he played well, held the ball up and won some important free kicks. However didn't effect the game as positively when swapped in 2nd half with Buckley.

Shows how much better we look in our system with a striker who can hold the ball up and bring others in to the game.

Made me wonder where CMS and Barnes fit in after yesterday's game however, reading about Ulloa he seems to play that type of role so if he comes in would imagine CMS and Barnes will find themselves on the bench or sold.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Exactly.

Spot on, sir. Well put.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Barnes was ok,did what you would expect a forward to do.cant understand why people big it up like he was exceptional,and no I am not a Barnes hater.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Barnes was ok,did what you would expect a forward to do.cant understand why people big it up like he was exceptional,and no I am not a Barnes hater.

You're so correct, he scored a goal, thats what we all want and was in and out during the game. Why some want to lionise him and others want to slag him I don't know. Is it not possible that he had just a good game, right down the middle?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I can see with Buckleys speed, why Gus switched Barnes and Buckley just before half time, but thought we looked so much better with Barnes in the middle at the beginning and end of the match. I wasn't convinced before yesterday but am coming round to thinking that Barnes can play the single striker role. He certainly did a good job of holding the ball up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports