Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashley Barnes - Enough is enough......

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Would like Barnes to play where he causes the most damage and that is next to CMS in the other teams penalty area. Out on the wing he looks painfully slow and unsure of where to go and what to do. This is not his fault it is Gus as he is being played in an unnatural position.

Think the time has come to drop the 3 man central midfield for just 2, take the handbrake off and put Orlandi out wide left and Barnes up top to support the ridiculously isolated CMS

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
It's not sad, did you watch the game? What's your opinion of his performance? Yes, he scored a tap in he knew nothing about from 6 yards out. But that doesn't mean he played well. There's a lot to the game of football and overall his performance wasn't very good. Again. It's not a vendetta, not at all. I don't think his contribution improves the team, and I don't think he has the ability to play at the top end of this league.

It's like Gary Dicker, both been good players for us and both work hard when in the team but ultimately their level of ability just isn't good enough to play at the top end of the Championship. Orlandi and Dobbie are both better players than Barnes and I hope one of them plays ahead of him on friday. If he does play, I'll support him as ever because he works hard and he cares about the team which is the absolute minimum requirement. A lack of talent maybe, but no lack of effort or desire.

It's deffinitely not a myth, he works VERY hard. Do you disagree? His attacking isn't good enough in my opinion, but I think it's hard to argue he doesn't put in a good defensive shift.

I like this post Ninja, because it is not just blind loyalty to Ashley but your objective opinion.
I would say that he does work hard but in my opinion he is not particularly effective in the defensive part of his role and particularly today, when he had an absolute stinker, I will say again, I think he should be out of the starting 11 from now on judging by recent performances.

veade

Feb 19, 2005
Boston
There were worse players on that pitch than Barnes

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
I believe that this defensive shift is a myth put about because people have realised his attacking is not good enough.

Have you ever seen him play?

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
On a seperate (completly unrelated note) note Heskey is a good striker who doesn't score! The Northern Ireland bloke was it David Healey was shithouse but scored a ton including for clubs I think? Guessing Kevin Phillips can't be described as shit by anyone so not the example i'll use.

Which of the above 'types' would you rather have since we can't afford Messi or Ibrahimovic or a player who does everything and they wouldn't play in the Championship on 10k a week anyway? Fiiiiigggghhhttt!!!!!

Barnes may not be perfect and probably shouldn't start EVERY game but is an important player for us and would be useful even if we had more attacking options

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
Have you ever seen him play?

No, I just listen to the radio every week draw my conclusions from that.
I mean, how dare anyone have an opinion about a player and not just agree with the lickers?

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
It's not sad, did you watch the game? What's your opinion of his performance? Yes, he scored a tap in he knew nothing about from 6 yards out. But that doesn't mean he played well. There's a lot to the game of football and overall his performance wasn't very good. Again. It's not a vendetta, not at all. I don't think his contribution improves the team, and I don't think he has the ability to play at the top end of this league.

It's like Gary Dicker, both been good players for us and both work hard when in the team but ultimately their level of ability just isn't good enough to play at the top end of the Championship. Orlandi and Dobbie are both better players than Barnes and I hope one of them plays ahead of him on friday. If he does play, I'll support him as ever because he works hard and he cares about the team which is the absolute minimum requirement. A lack of talent maybe, but no lack of effort or desire.

It's deffinitely not a myth, he works VERY hard. Do you disagree? His attacking isn't good enough in my opinion, but I think it's hard to argue he doesn't put in a good defensive shift.

How exactly is Dobbie better. Ash is just 22 and has scored 32 League goals for us since joining in July 2010 including 20 last season alone at the top end of the Championship. Dobbin is now 29 and outside of a crazy 47 goals for Queen of the South has only played 40 games in English League football and mustered a total of 18 league goals before joining us. So I'm not clear upon what basis you judge Dobbin to be better. As you might guess, I think he look a rather disinterested carthorse to me who is settling in rather too well to a well paid, comfortable quiet life in the South, like Harley.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I like this post Ninja, because it is not just blind loyalty to Ashley but your objective opinion.
I would say that he does work hard but in my opinion he is not particularly effective in the defensive part of his role and particularly today, when he had an absolute stinker, I will say again, I think he should be out of the starting 11 from now on judging by recent performances.

Thanks, there are still those on here who can think objectively and rate on what we actually see, and think about the game of football.

On a seperate (completly unrelated note) note Heskey is a good striker who doesn't score!

Oi oi, how dare you. 4 in 4 for big Emile down in Australia! :lolol:

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
I believe that this defensive shift is a myth put about because people have realised his attacking is not good enough.

No it isn't, he does a good stint defensively because Gus asks him to do it, he does it for the manager and the team.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
No, I just listen to the radio every week draw my conclusions from that.
I mean, how dare anyone have an opinion about a player and not just agree with the lickers?

Your opinion is based on listening on the radio and you refer to people who have a different opinion than yours as "lickers"?

You're coming across as a buffoon.

element

Fear [is] the key.....
Jan 28, 2009
Local
Who would all the naysayers put in instead of Barnes?

Hoskins, Tobi, Dobbie to name a few, are not better alternatives IMHO...

You have to cut your suit according to your cloth, and we're a bit polyester atm, rather than cashmere :smile:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Who scored more than him last season, and the season before?

22 goals at League 1 standard - more than Murray
13 goals at Championship standard - more than CMS

He may have scored a lucky goal today but he was in a good position to score it. So many opinions are just one dimensional when football has many many dimensions.

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
Your opinion is based on listening on the radio and you refer to people who have a different opinion than yours as "lickers"?

You're coming across as a buffoon.

You really believe I would have an opinion if I didn't go to games?
That bit about just listening to the radio, well, that was a lie (sorry)
However, lickers is correct, because any criticism of Ashley and a strange pack mentality seems to take over NSC.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
22 goals at League 1 standard - more than Murray
13 goals at Championship standard - more than CMS

He may have scored a lucky goal today but he was in a good position to score it. So many opinions are just one dimensional when football has many many dimensions.

Which is exactly why we need to move him upfront with CMS rather than on the fringes of a lop sided midfield

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
You really believe I would have an opinion if I didn't go to games?
That bit about just listening to the radio, well, that was a lie (sorry)
However, lickers is correct, because any criticism of Ashley and a strange pack mentality seems to take over NSC.

Possibly true but I think it depends on your viewpoint; an alternate one from yours would believe that a strange pack mentality takes over the Barnes Bashers even if he scores a goal.

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
Possibly true but I think it depends on your viewpoint; an alternate one from yours would believe that a strange pack mentality takes over the Barnes Bashers even if he scores a goal.

Fair enough, but I think there's only about 3 of us.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Who would all the naysayers put in instead of Barnes?

Hoskins, Tobi, Dobbie to name a few, are not better alternatives IMHO...

You have to cut your suit according to your cloth, and we're a bit polyester atm, rather than cashmere :smile:

It depends whether you're going to keep playing someone in that kind of role. If you are, then Barnes is the best at it. But I don't really think it's neccessary. The thing is as well, we already have players waiting to come into the team who have a higher level of technical ability. Vicente, Dobbie, Orlandi, Spanish Dave. There are players already here who are good enough to be in this team and ahead of Barnes on actual quality and ability.

element

Fear [is] the key.....
Jan 28, 2009
Local
Fair comment. I don't think Barnes should play on the wing either. He is best suited to play just deep of CMS, with his close control and ability to thread a through ball. Perhaps Orlandi and Lopez haven't shown much in training, and GP doesn't feel confident of pitching them in. On the other hand, there is nothing like game time, so he should give either or both of them some. They have both had some minutes at The Amex IIRC...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here