Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashes: 3rd Test @ Perth

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Onions - not in either the ashes squad nor the performance squad [who also currently in Oz] - is he not injured?

Onions is playing in South Africa I believe. He was a totally mad admission from the squad though, still can't get my head round that one.

I wonder just how many changes there'll be for the next game. I'm not convinced by the Bairstow for Prior calls: MP hasn't had a good series but is Bairstow the answer? The guy doesn't keep for his county so he's way behind Prior as a keeper and he was dropped as a batsman - Ballance is certainly ahead of him in the queue. He was, again, another odd choice.

And I'm certain Finn won't play. Flower has said that he needs to work on his bowling - he's played in two games on tour and was all over the place: Tremlett and Rankin are certainly ahead of him at the moment.

Onions is playing in South Africa I believe. He was a totally mad admission from the squad though, still can't get my head round that one.

I wonder just how many changes there'll be for the next game.

And I'm certain Finn won't play. Flower has said that he needs to work on his bowling - he's played in two games on tour and was all over the place: Tremlett and Rankin are certainly ahead of him at the moment.

I agree with all of this. But I would certainly play Rankin. Don't see any point playing Tremlett, whose international cricket career is over. I'm absolutely amazed that they called him up at all - everyone said when the squad was announced that he'd lost pace and wasn't the same player, but unfortunately he was picked on the basis of his ability 3 years ago.

I'm not convinced by the Bairstow for Prior calls: MP hasn't had a good series but is Bairstow the answer? The guy doesn't keep for his county so he's way behind Prior as a keeper and he was dropped as a batsman - Ballance is certainly ahead of him in the queue. He was, again, another odd choice.

Err, Bairstow has been Yorkshire's first choice keeper for a couple of years. And to be honest I'd drop Prior to send a message - that no matter how good you've been in the past for this team, you need to maintain high performance levels to keep your place. Prior has been abysmal this series, and didn't do anything with the bat in England (although I don't remember him making the keeping mistakes he has on this tour). Then, if they think Bairstow is the long-term answer, pick him for the next series and accept that he'll be a bit below par for a couple of years while he acclimatises. Or do the same with Butler, or Foakes, or whoever they think the next long-term incumbent is.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Err, Bairstow has been Yorkshire's first choice keeper for a couple of years. And to be honest I'd drop Prior to send a message - that no matter how good you've been in the past for this team, you need to maintain high performance levels to keep your place. Prior has been abysmal this series, and didn't do anything with the bat in England (although I don't remember him making the keeping mistakes he has on this tour). Then, if they think Bairstow is the long-term answer, pick him for the next series and accept that he'll be a bit below par for a couple of years while he acclimatises. Or do the same with Butler, or Foakes, or whoever they think the next long-term incumbent is.

Yes, he's been their first choice keeper since 2011. I'd be flabbergasted if he doesn't come in for Prior for the next test. He's decent with the gloves, and definitely worth taking a look at him over the next couple of tests or so.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Quite right, I was a bit behind the times there. Still not convinced he's a test batsman but I do agree that Prior needs a kick up the whotsit

The emergence of Joe Root is the only reason Bairstow is not in the side simply as a batsmen. For a young player, he's done pretty well, not set the world alight, but some decent scores and steady progress. While he may not get in the team purely as a batsmen, as a batsmen/keeper he has to be a shoe-in replacement for Prior right now.

brightonmark1234

Feb 9, 2010
Worthing
pick ur x11 to go into the last two tests here is the squad England squad
Alastair Cook (Essex) (Capt)Matt Prior James Anderson Jonny Bairstow Gary Ballance Ian Bell Tim Bresnan Stuart Broad Michael Carberry
Steven Finn Monty Panesar Kevin Pietersen Boyd Rankin (Warwickshire)Joe Root Ben Stokes Graeme Swann
Chris Tremlett

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
pick ur x11 to go into the last two tests here is the squad England squad
Alastair Cook (Essex) (Capt)Matt Prior James Anderson Jonny Bairstow Gary Ballance Ian Bell Tim Bresnan Stuart Broad Michael Carberry
Steven Finn Monty Panesar Kevin Pietersen Boyd Rankin (Warwickshire)Joe Root Ben Stokes Graeme Swann
Chris Tremlett

Other than Stokes, we might as well throw all the names in the hat and draw them out one by one till we get 6 batsmen a wikky and four bowlers. You can't polish a turd

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Pietersen's been shit for years. I don't understand why he still gets picked.

Firstly can I just say that even I a staunch defender of Pietersen would consider saying thanks but no thanks in test cricket now. If wants to play ODI's & 20/20's then the place is there for him. I suspect he wouldn't after the world cup.

BUT

He's not been shit for "years." He's not been great for the last 12 months in Test cricket. The century in this Test match (http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/cricket/19120265 ) is the best I've seen by and England batsman watching pretty much everything England have had to offer home and away in the last 20 years. It was comparable with the best Lara, Tendulkar, Gilchrist, Ponting, Kallis et all could offer. It was less than 18 months ago.

Even Boycott, who is baying for his blood now is quoted on that page as saying

"It was a thrilling day for England supporters, Pietersen came out and you knew it was going to be war, it's his arrogance and confidence against their fast bowlers, he's not going to back off, it's not his scene, and he played a fantastic innings, one of his best, it was the way he bristled he went after them, if you're a cricket lover and you didn't enjoy today there is something wrong with you."

To go back even further in history, the stats bear Pietersen out as one of the best batsemen England have EVER had.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Firstly can I just say that even I a staunch defender of Pietersen would consider saying thanks but no thanks in test cricket now. If wants to play ODI's & 20/20's then the place is there for him. I suspect he wouldn't after the world cup.

BUT

He's not been shit for "years." He's not been great for the last 12 months in Test cricket. The century in this Test match (http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/cricket/19120265 ) is the best I've seen by and England batsman watching pretty much everything England have had to offer home and away in the last 20 years. It was comparable with the best Lara, Tendulkar, Gilchrist, Ponting, Kallis et all could offer. It was less than 18 months ago.

Even Boycott, who is baying for his blood now is quoted on that page as saying

"It was a thrilling day for England supporters, Pietersen came out and you knew it was going to be war, it's his arrogance and confidence against their fast bowlers, he's not going to back off, it's not his scene, and he played a fantastic innings, one of his best, it was the way he bristled he went after them, if you're a cricket lover and you didn't enjoy today there is something wrong with you."

To go back even further in history, the stats bear Pietersen out as one of the best batsemen England have EVER had.

It's hard to forget his incredible 186 in India last winter to win the 2nd test either. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/20492519

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove

BUT

Fair enough, retracted. For the past twelve months, he's been a waste.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
It's hard to forget his incredible 186 in India last winter to win the 2nd test either. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/20492519

And I had forgotten it as well - that was an incredible knock. That's the thing with Pietersen. He's Mr. frustrating but he is capable of playing innings that only the elite world players are capable of playing. Note, I am not calling him an elite player but that he is capable of playing that type of innings.

What's the amazing thing about these 2 knocks? They were both from losing positions against vaunted attacks (South Africa's pace, India's trial by spin) on not brilliant wickets in the mdist of suggestions he should be dropped.

Last edited:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
And I had forgotten it as well - that was an incredible knock. That's the thing with Pietersen. He's Mr. frustrating but he is capable of playing innings that only the elite world players are capable of playing. Note, I am not calling him an elite player but that he is capable of playing that type of innings.

What's the amazing thing about these 2 knocks? They were both from losing positions against vaunted attacks (South Africa's pace, India's trial by spin) on not brilliant wickets in the mdist of suggestions he should be dropped.

Looks like he is due another big innings then ? just in time to give the IPL a little reminder ?

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
If you don't "want it" in an ASHES series, why on earth are you even playing cricket in the first place? That's like a footballer not being bothered in the World Cup.

Exactly and that is why so many people are so angry. This Australian team is not technically as good as us. They have just outfought us.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here