Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashes: 3rd Test @ Perth

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
That's the key stat i'd say. It's easy to examine our bowling attack, but if we consistently fal to post a decent first (and 2nd) Innings score, it's never going to be easy to shine with the ball; as we're immediately on the back foot and trying to stop runs.

Correct. When we really did look like world beaters a few years back it was because we constantly posted 400+ in our first innings

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
That's the key stat i'd say. It's easy to examine our bowling attack, but if we consistently fal to post a decent first (and 2nd) Innings score, it's never going to be easy to shine with the ball; as we're immediately on the back foot and trying to stop runs.

I am outclassed in the cricket knowledge dept so perhaps one of you can tell me when we last saw a test match winning innings from an English Team (I don't mean knocking off a few runs to win! I mean big innings!)

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
A massively interesting stat on Cric Info today

Since December 2011, no one has faced more deliveries in international cricket than Cook, with Bell and Trott also featuring in the top five. In the same period, no seamer has bowled more deliveries than Anderson or Broad and only R Ashwin has bowled more deliveries than Graeme Swann as a spinner. That is despite Swann undergoing surgery and missing games with a variety of injuries.

I know excuses don't help anyone but these guys are knanckered aren't they?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Since December 2011, no one has faced more deliveries in international cricket than Cook, with Bell and Trott also featuring in the top five. In the same period, no seamer has bowled more deliveries than Anderson or Broad and only R Ashwin has bowled more deliveries than Graeme Swann as a spinner. That is despite Swann undergoing surgery and missing games with a variety of injuries.

On those stats yes. After this tour I'd like to see Cook and Anderson in particular have a rest and regain their hunger. Then bring 'em back when they're refreshed (Cook without the captaincy, he's rubbish at it as the Aussies rightly pointed out) and unleash them again.

Having said that I'm sure who I WOULD have as Captain. All this tour has done is prove that the warning signs that were there in the summer were reality.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
We haven't made 400 in 11 test matches now, not since NZ away in March in the 2nd test.

I was only viewing this series but that proves it goes back a long way and is probably the root of our problem.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

How many balls faced or bowled in County cricket though ? Bear in mind that other than the odd occasion these players play international cricket exclusively. Throw in the separate squads for Test, one day and 20/20 internationals and I think that it isn't too much.
Besides, they should be good at it if they are getting so much time in the middle or bowling ?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Where is Billy The Fish? I really need him to cheer me up and put some kind of positive spin on this (more than Swann could anyway....).

Billy, it's not really all that bad.....is it!!??

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
How many balls faced or bowled in County cricket though ? Bear in mind that other than the odd occasion these players play international cricket exclusively. Throw in the separate squads for Test, one day and 20/20 internationals and I think that it isn't too much.
Besides, they should be good at it if they are getting so much time in the middle or bowling ?

I'm not sure the County Cricket thing is a ll that important. I mean you don't see Michael Clarke turning out for New South Wales too much either...

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
is it time to drop swann and prior and other key players and bring in new faces

I think yes. Not all at once. But questions have to be asked why our top scorers so far in three tests are Carberry and Stokes. We all know don't we? They just want it that bit more. More than anything Pietersen needs to go. Root, Stokes and Ballance are the future I think batting wise right now. There's still a place for Bell definitely. But above all we need leadership. From the top Flower down to Gooch, Saker and Cook, we've talked but not delivered. Australia have outplayed on the pitch, sure but more imprtantly in the head.

The Modfather

Dec 13, 2009
Ibiza to the Norfolk Broads
Having said that I'm sure who I WOULD have as Captain. All this tour has done is prove that the warning signs that were there in the summer were reality.

Therein likes the problem. As good a batsmen as Cook has been(apart from this series), his captaincy is uninspiring, but who is there capable of taking on the captaincy?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Therein likes the problem. As good a batsmen as Cook has been(apart from this series), his captaincy is uninspiring, but who is there capable of taking on the captaincy?

Is there anyone in this team or squad who stands out as a leader of men ?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I'm not sure the County Cricket thing is a ll that important. I mean you don't see Michael Clarke turning out for New South Wales too much either...

My point was that Cook + team are not burnt out by the treadmill of county commitments. This was in response to a suggestion the players were tired.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

Really? There were three NSW games before the Ashes started: Clarke played in two of them, he then had a back spasm. However, Warner and Smith played in all three.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I think yes. Not all at once. But questions have to be asked why our top scorers so far in three tests are Carberry and Stokes. We all know don't we? They just want it that bit more. More than anything Pietersen needs to go. Root, Stokes and Ballance are the future I think batting wise right now. There's still a place for Bell definitely. But above all we need leadership. From the top Flower down to Gooch, Saker and Cook, we've talked but not delivered. Australia have outplayed on the pitch, sure but more imprtantly in the head.

If you don't "want it" in an ASHES series, why on earth are you even playing cricket in the first place? That's like a footballer not being bothered in the World Cup.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Time to make a few changes as the batting in particular has been poor for too long.

Next test

Cook CPT
Carberry
Root
Pietersen (although I'm slowly losing patience with him)
Bell
Stokes
Bairstow WKT
Broad
Swann
Finn
Onions

Only major changes are Prior who has had a pretty abysmal twelve months since being bestowed as England's cricketer of the year in 2012 and more surprisingly Jimmy Anderson who looks short of pace and worryingly past his best on this tour. Wouldn't necessarily mean the end for either player, but I would need them to gain form with their respective counties.

Very tempted to take a look at Ballance but that would mean dropping Carberry (harsh) and moving Root up the order again which I would be loathed to do.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Time to make a few changes as the batting in particular has been poor for too long.

Next test

Cook CPT
Carberry
Root
Pietersen (although I'm slowly losing patience with him)
Bell
Stokes
Bairstow WKT
Broad
Swann
Finn
Onions

Only major changes are Prior who has had a pretty abysmal twelve months since being bestowed as England's cricketer of the year in 2012 and more surprisingly Jimmy Anderson who looks short of pace and worryingly past his best on this tour. Wouldn't necessarily mean the end for either player, but I would need them to gain form with their respective counties.

Very tempted to take a look at Ballance but that would mean dropping Carberry (harsh) and moving Root up the order again which I would be loathed to do.

Onions - not in either the ashes squad nor the performance squad [who also currently in Oz] - is he not injured?

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Onions - not in either the ashes squad nor the performance squad [who also currently in Oz] - is he not injured?

I thought he was in the performance squad? If his fit he should play as a decent international record despite not being a regular and was a star performer for Durham last season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here