Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashes: 3rd Test @ Perth

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
need stokes and prior to stay in till after lunch and for them to dig in and play sensible and not give their wickets away

We need a Noah's Ark type flood I suspect. We'd have half a hope if a Cook or Bell were still there but there's no-one really capable of playing that sort of innings left. The best we can hope for is Stoke's maiden hundred and Bres & Prior to find some form.

I don't think we'll make it past lunch.

brightonmark1234

Feb 9, 2010
Worthing
We need a Noah's Ark type flood I suspect. We'd have half a hope if a Cook or Bell were still there but there's no-one really capable of playing that sort of innings left. The best we can hope for is Stoke's maiden hundred and Bres & Prior to find some form.

I don't think we'll make it past lunch.
i thought once we lost bell i thought we would collapse

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I would like to see a bit of positive batting early on just have the Aussies questioning themselves, then maybe a big maybe.
If that happened, I reckon we'd go on to draw the series.

Sadly though, this team are a bunch of flids and reality is that there is more chance of me getting conkers deep into Susannah Reid any time soon. :(

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Which is why it's essential Ballance, Bairstow and Rankin, if not Finn as well are given a taste of this for the next 2 tests.

Even If they played out of their skin it would not help us, I really think they need bedding in at home rather throwing them in to the bear pit that is an Ashes Test series. Stokes has played well and I would love it if he could make a pyrrhic century but it is fairly meaningless in the context of the series.

Throwing the youngsters in is frankly not fair and will not be good long term. When the squad return there may well be some hard truths to face up to and I can see a few announcing an international retirement, I fully expect Cook to stand down, Andrew Strauss said that the England Captaincy is an incredibly hard job and that he never stopped thinking about or playing cricket. Cook is an honourable man who probably knows the game is up, it's not fair on him or the team for him to continue.

Once the dust settles then we can re-think and integrate some of the younger players.

Last edited:

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
DISGUSTING; why is Flower still there and Cook for that matter. If the majority of these never play for England again it won't be a moment too soon. The attritional negative cricket was pretty unpalatable when we were winning it's shameful now we're stinking the place out.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
The potential replacements are no better than the current team, but are growing in attraction only by their absence.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Even If they played out of their skin it would not help us, I really think they need bedding in at home rather throwing them in to the bear pit that is an Ashes Test series. Stokes has played well and I would love it if he could make a pyrrhic century but it is fairly meaningless in the context of the series.

Throwing the youngsters in is frankly not fair and will not be good long term. When the squad return there may well be some hard truths to face up to and I can see a few announcing an international retirement, I fully expect Cook to stand down, Andrew Strauss said that the England Captaincy is an incredibly hard job and that he never stopped thinking about or playing cricket. Cook is an honourable man who probably knows the game is up, it's not fair on him or the team for him to continue.

Once the dust settles then we can re-think and integrate some of the younger players.

DISGUSTING; why is Flower still there and Cook for that matter. If the majority of these never play for England again it won't be a moment too soon. The attritional negative cricket was pretty unpalatable when we were winning it's shameful now we're stinking the place out.

I do disagree on Cook. All captains go through a dodgy spell through the added pressure, but normally they have batsmen to back them up and get runs. Cook has had new openers all year, and KP, Trott and Prior all failing with the bat has been an incredible amount to bare as captain and as opener. Strauss, Vaughan, Hussain in the recent past all suffered with the bat as captain, but were generally backed up and grew into the role.

Cook just needs to get his head straight, but he needs a steady consistent opening partner, and a no.3, 4 and 5 he can rely on. I have a lot of faith Cook can sort out and regain his confidence on what he should be leaving once again.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I do disagree on Cook. All captains go through a dodgy spell through the added pressure, but normally they have batsmen to back them up and get runs. Cook has had new openers all year, and KP, Trott and Prior all failing with the bat has been an incredible amount to bare as captain and as opener. Strauss, Vaughan, Hussain in the recent past all suffered with the bat as captain, but were generally backed up and grew into the role.

Cook just needs to get his head straight, but he needs a steady consistent opening partner, and a no.3, 4 and 5 he can rely on. I have a lot of faith Cook can sort out and regain his confidence on what he should be leaving once again.[/QUOTE]

That is not going to happen overnight just like that. I just don't think that Cook is tough enough to sort out his own game and pull together the players old and new and change them for the better. If he was a battler,someone like Nasser Hussein or Michael Vaughn maybe, but he is a thinker like Strauss and Atherton and although he is a nice guy, I think it is beyond him to do both.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

The use of a pyrrhic century is great and a link to the grammar thread on NSC. A hopeful pyrrhic century for Okey Cokey Stokesy is exactly why I love cricket. Today i was also impressed that the Barmy Army stopped the monotonous chant 'Barmy Army' and to the tune of Dad’s Armycame up with “Who do you think you are kidding Mitchell Johnson if you think old England’s done, we are the boys who inflicted all your pain, soon you’ll be bowling left and right again......”

One thing Aussies can't do. Have fun in defeat or near defeat, I forgot we are going to win tonight.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
The use of a pyrrhic century is great and a link to the grammar thread on NSC. A hopeful pyrrhic century for Okey Cokey Stokesy is exactly why I love cricket. Today i was also impressed that the Barmy Army stopped the monotonous chant 'Barmy Army' and to the tune of Dad’s Armycame up with “Who do you think you are kidding Mitchell Johnson if you think old England’s done, we are the boys who inflicted all your pain, soon you’ll be bowling left and right again......”

One thing Aussies can't do. Have fun in defeat or near defeat, I forgot we are going to win tonight.

Bless 'em....that's the sort of thing to be doing when you are staring humiliation in the face !:laugh:

Ps, Never forget your grammar at Christmas, it's a time for families.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I'm interested in what makes you say "right hand man." Is it from a chuck him the ball and he'll get a wicket sense? Because I've never really been under the impression that Swann & Cook are particuarly close. Sure they say the right things about each other in public but I think Cook probably finds Swann a bit trivial and Swann finds Cook a bit pompous. Swann's always been a bit of a handful for captains....

Right hand man as in Cook is first slip, Swann is second slip and they stand next to each other and talk cricket for 6 hours. I daresay Swann might be a bit of a sounding board for Cook.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
why did bell play at the ball he got out too he could of left it

I hear the pundits claim Bell to be our most technically correct batter. Well. I've be coaching cricket for many a year, the last 6 at county youth level, and I've never coached any batter to play the "airy waft" to a rising bouncer. The technique is simple, if the ball is above your eye-line, you duck or weave. If the ball is at chest, neck or head [below eyes] you hook - but not if there is a long leg or deep square leg - revert to duck or weave. Chest / waist height should be pulled, but ensuring bat path is high to low so as not to offer a catch.

The Bell "airy waft" - more risky than a KP reverse slog sweep - leave that to T20 .... show some patience, we had 5 fecking sessions to bat.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here