Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashes: 3rd Test @ Perth

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Time for me to resume a normal life then rather than watch this s***. Still fancy England to pick up a result before the series is done, they have a good record in Melbourne & Sydney and are due to win at least a toss.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Looks like the pain is set to continue, however, we can't hide behind poor umpiring decisions or bad weather or being unlucky. We are in the position we deserve to be simply because we have been beaten by a better team. No amount of hope, positive thinking, jingoism or patriotism can cover up the fact that we are where we are for good reasons.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
O/T - this is rather interesting...

BbhCzcVIAAAz5Xj.jpg:large

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
O/T - this is rather interesting...

BbhCzcVIAAAz5Xj.jpg:large

Interesting stat. However we should factor in the fact that each player plays 50% of their Tests at home so obviously, we should assume that Cook is a better batsman due to the variable pitch and movement we get over here when compared to Sachin getting lots of nice spin and Clarke getting lots of nice pacey but true wickets. That's the only crumb I can find.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
so if Cook scores 11 or a ton he equals one of Clarke's stats. I know which I think is more likely :(

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I'm not suprised that this thread lay dormant this morning, another day of gutless ineptitude from England.

I'm not sure enough has been made of Darren Lehmann's role in this. He took over a young and talented but underperforming side with some massive selection issues (they didn't even know their strongest 11, I think) and has turned them into a side that looks like the 2nd best in the world in a very short space of time. It's a trick he has a habit of performing, taking Deccan Chargers over after IPL 1 (where they finished an embarassing bottom) and taking them to the title in IPL 2. Tactically the Aussies have been absolutely spot on and I don't think anyone is doubting their motivation. He may be a little rough round the edges but he's had an unbelievably good start.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
What was today's highlight so far? Swann being replaced by Root for being hit for too many sixes by Watson, Anderson, with the new ball, being hit for 2 consecutive sixes over his head, Bell dropping a catch and not finding the ball only for Watson to be run out by Bresnan?

In 43 years of following cricket, dating back to John Snow, I cannot think of a worse day.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
What was today's highlight so far? Swann being replaced by Root for being hit for too many sixes by Watson, Anderson, with the new ball, being hit for 2 consecutive sixes over his head, Bell dropping a catch and not finding the ball only for Watson to be run out by Bresnan?

In 43 years of following cricket, dating back to John Snow, I cannot think of a worse day.

Do you remember day 4 at the WACA, on the whitewash tour, when Adam Gilchrist hit the 2nd fastest ever Test Match century? I think that was worse, just.

colinz

Banned
Oct 17, 2010
Auckland
Why is this series being played in the same year after the series in England ?

Can't recall seeing 2 Ashes series being played in the same year.

The Aussies obviously did their homework on the England team after having recently played them. Could have been a different outcome if they had to wait 18 months instead of a couple of months.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Enjoying this little cameo from Stokes. Glad he's decided to give a bit back.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Do you remember day 4 at the WACA, on the whitewash tour, when Adam Gilchrist hit the 2nd fastest ever Test Match century? I think that was worse, just.

Yes it's a close contest. I have to go with today, just. I had flown out that year to watch us win The Ashes, decided to cycle 500 miles around The Grampians and Great Ocean Road on the way to MCG. Stopped at Apollo Bay on the way to watch the WACA test and was the only pom for 5 days. It was humiliating. Gilchrist was brilliant. We lost The Ashes we had so brilliantly won in 2005. But Cook gave hope with a century and we were playing the Aussie greats; Gilchrist, Haydn, Warne, McGrath, Lee and more. Maybe I have blocked that series as I can now remember losing in 3 days at the MCG.

This time we are playing a team bolstered by old pros that has been brilliantly managed by Darren Lehman (as said above).

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
One positive is Stokes I suppose, came off very well in these last 2 games for someone so inexperienced.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
One positive is Stokes I suppose, came off very well in these last 2 games for someone so inexperienced.

Which is why it's essential Ballance, Bairstow and Rankin, if not Finn as well are given a taste of this for the next 2 tests.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Which is why it's essential Ballance, Bairstow and Rankin, if not Finn as well are given a taste of this for the next 2 tests.

Finn should have been playing here(and the last test for that matter) anyway, I think Bairstow & Ballance yes but I'm not overly keen on Rankin.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here