Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] As you get older

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Final whistle went, switched over and watched Happy Valley on iPlayer.

Couldn’t be arsed with the post-mortem.
Ditto, except watched Cracker repeats I’ve recorded off ITV3 (RIP Robbie)

Nowhere near as pissed off/upset as previous tournaments. Like many others, Italia 90 exit brought tears to the eyes of a mid-20’s me. Nowadays, to quote Windsor Davies, it’s more Oh Dear. How sad. Never mind.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
When he was about six I had 'the chat' with my eldest, during a live commentary on the radio.

I told him England are rubbish, and over-rated, and that he should never expect us to win anything.

I felt bad later - shouldn't feed cynicism to a young mind - but he didn't take it on board anyway.

Eight or so years later, he's upset that we're out, and I'm (secretly) 'meh'.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I only half watched the game, its was so obvious what was going to happen. Last time I recall agood buzz about International kickball was Euro '96.

as has been said, losing to Villa pissed me off more.

Morroco to win please

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
As a young lad back in 86 when we lost to Argentina I cried my eyes out as a teen in 1990 when we lost to Germany took me weeks to get over it . Yet tonight just a shrug of the shoulders and don’t really care.

Just wondering if that is due to getting older or whether it’s just typical as like my grandad and then my Father did that as you get older you fall out of love with the game
Not just about being older, it is the multiple failures - being let down every single time. It has an impact on us all

I am totally unfussed about last night, couldn't care less. Too many prior failures and I wonder whether my club being in the PL has an impact too - those playing for England are in rival teams to us. Seeing Kane fail was amusing because he's a cheating twat that is given every decision in the EPL

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
As a young lad back in 86 when we lost to Argentina I cried my eyes out as a teen in 1990 when we lost to Germany took me weeks to get over it . Yet tonight just a shrug of the shoulders and don’t really care.

Just wondering if that is due to getting older or whether it’s just typical as like my grandad and then my Father did that as you get older you fall out of love with the game
Yes, our reactions change as we get older, apparently. Our reactions are programmed by what gives us a survival advantage. Grumpy old person syndrome is to reject change as a threat, predicated I suspect by the fact that, as we get older, we acquire more to lose (family, possessions) yet become increasingly frail and vulnerable, so we feel safer when things are familiar, because we are safer if we are familiar with our surroundings and customs.

The thing that interests me is the extent to which we can override our programming. I force myself to do things that instinctively repulse me, because I have found that this way unknown pleasures lie. ???

There is no reason to fall out of love with the game, but don't try to recreate the arrangements that gave you the buzz when younger. Those fat blokes in their fifties you see at the football, shaven head, red face . . . . I'll say no more :lolol: My football experience changes year on year. I have some lovely companions who I see at the Amex and before the game and make it a great day out, with the long drive through the countryside, and that :rave:

When I was a small child Christmas was magical. Now I'm an old git, I have fun trying to make Christmas magical for the youngsters. Find the enjoyment in everything - there normally is some.

Oh, and I slept soundly after the defeat yesterday. I am happy that the England set up now means that we get to tournaments and have the potential to do well, and we have decent players (in both senses of the word) that support one another without the stigma of club allegiance getting in the way. I think that's absolutely fantastic. :thumbsup:

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I think the last time I really cared about England in the World Cup was the 1970 quarter final, although the 1990 semi was a bit gutting. After that it has all been a bit meh.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
I can very much relate to this - when you’ve watched England for 40+ years you definitely get used to the disappointment ! No matter how well we play we simply never have enough in our locker to beat the elite teams in the knockout games. You find your expectations are always much lower !
Absolutely this. I'm frustrated this morning but it's nothing like the crushing sense of disappointment I felt in my youth. The simple fact is I expected the defeat before a ball was kicked last night. It's 40+ years of conditioning.

I might have been slightly removed from the match, as I was at work and rather busy at the time. However, it's interesting that I was getting texts from my daughter, who is in her early 20s, saying what stressful viewing it was and then finally how monumentally naffed off she was with the outcome. She's starting the journey we've already been on. A lifetime of disappointment beckons. At least I was able to tell her it does get a little easier.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Matthew Norman (journalist) wrote more than 20 years ago about the four stages of emotion of an England supporter before during and after an important game

1. Fear
2. Misplaced optimism
3. Disappointment
4. Disgust.

I snigger every time I think about this. Twenty years ago this was certainly the case (with my disgust mainly directed at the sort of twats who would assault a Spanish woman after a defeat to Italy, albeit other types of disgust are available). Now, I still snigger when I think about it, but mainly because it reminds me of a hopeless past rather than, as it used to seem, a statement about our inviolate fate.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Well. That’s almost it. Two points for me: if no European team had ever been to a semi final and then, say, Austria did, would I feel over the moon as a European? Erm……So why is your non Moroccan African going to be over excited because of Morocco’s progress? Second point is, I’m all in for Argentina and Hove Albion.
Maybe “your non Moroccan African” is excited for the same reason as others, it’s exciting, new, ground breaking and history making.

el punal

Still as excited when we score or win but meh if we lose. Not interested in the guff surrounding it and the pointless news coverage before, during and after.
How right you are! As you say, the guff that surrounds these games is just so much unnecessary waffle. I watched the World Cup matches this time round to see how OUR (Albion) boys performed - and very well by all accounts. I didn’t bother with reading any reports or listening to the biased punditry before or after each game.

If I’m honest I wasn’t overly concerned about England. They got through the group stage easily, an easy fixture against Senegal, and then their first real test - playing France, and we lost. I’m disappointed but that’s as far as it goes. I’m just looking forward to the football that matters, the return of our Premier League campaign.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I echo the thoughts of many but seeing that Palace flag behind the goal as a backdrop for the pens I knew something bad would happen.

15 minutes after the final whistle I was still disappointed but quickly moved on.

I’ve still not got over that play off defeat at the Amex

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Being a Scotland supporter virtually renders any kind of competition as irrelevant😁.
I’ll stick with the Albion, but have to say that as I have got older, disappointment on the field of play no longer has the effect it used to all those years ago.

SteveU

May 31, 2022
It’s definitely an age thing, at 47 I’m used to the disappointment of these big tournaments.

For me as others have said, it doesn’t bother me as long because the modern game has changed so much, the true heart and passion has gone or at best seriously dwindled.

Gone are the days of the likes of Terry Butcher leaving it all out on the pitch or the sheer passion of the likes of Gazza.

I just don’t think the modern players care as much and as a result it’s hard for me to care as much as I used to either.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I certainly don't feel "it" watching England, although I'm English through and through. I used to, starting in 1966 when I was fortunate enough to see us win the thing, but it's been disappointment in both major competitions ever since. You get hardened to it as you get older. As soon as tonight's game finished, I just started watching another programme on the telly, and thought no more of it.
Now, Brighton...that's a different thing all together. I still feel sick when we lose, and the degree of how bad I feel depends on the nature of the defeat, and who the other team are. I'll never lose that.
Pretty much agree with all of this, but with Brighton, I am upset or angry for about 30 minutes then have far more important things to worry about like “ how long is this f***ing queue going to take “ or “ am I going to get on a bus before the next day”

england have always been an ultimate disappointment which changed this summer when the ladies showed how you actually win big important games

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
I find it easier with each tournament, still had a partly sleepless night. It is easy to think win and we will win the tournament but Morocco would have been hard, could well have taken us to penalties. My son is absolutely gutted, I am pretty much over it now. Not having a hangover makes it easier. Looking forward to Boxing Day when the real football resumes.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It’s definitely an age thing, at 47 I’m used to the disappointment of these big tournaments.

For me as others have said, it doesn’t bother me as long because the modern game has changed so much, the true heart and passion has gone or at best seriously dwindled.

Gone are the days of the likes of Terry Butcher leaving it all out on the pitch or the sheer passion of the likes of Gazza.

I just don’t think the modern players care as much and as a result it’s hard for me to care as much as I used to either.
I’ve seen players crying on the pitch, so I think they care just as much.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I’ve seen players crying on the pitch, so I think they care just as much.
Players were crying after being eliminated at the knock out stage!!!

I’m sick and tired of seeing grown men weeping as they leave the pitch, inconsolable. Are you saying that the number of tears is related to how much they care? Rubbish. Terry Butcher cared, Bryan Robson cared. If they had tears it was behind closed doors, not for the sake of the cameras.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Players were crying after being eliminated at the knock out stage!!!

I’m sick and tired of seeing grown men weeping as they leave the pitch, inconsolable. Are you saying that the number of tears is related to how much they care? Rubbish. Terry Butcher cared, Bryan Robson cared. If they had tears it was behind closed doors, not for the sake of the cameras.
Different people have different emotions. Men are allowed to cry.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here