Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

As we're all still in the mood....35 years ago today...Newcastle 1 Albion 3

Cried at HT when we were 3-0 up, home alone as a 12 year old while my parents played an afternoon bingo session down The Vogue, I was tuning in all sort of devices trying to get a commentary/latest score all I got was Caroline and Luxombourg. World of sport was f***in useless, a top of the table clash couldn't compete with mick mc anus v big daddy

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Cried at HT when we were 3-0 up, home alone as a 12 year old while my parents played an afternoon bingo session down The Vogue, I was tuning in all sort of devices trying to get a commentary/latest score all I got was Caroline and Luxombourg. World of sport was f***in useless, a top of the table clash couldn't compete with mick mc anus v big daddy

Sports coverage was messed up in those days. For anyone tuning into Radio Brighton for the first half of Liverpool v Brighton in the FA Cup in 1983, they were treated to a long radio interview and life story of Jimmy Melia...

I'm there behind the goal, feeling a fair bit older now but still with vivid memories of that amazing day.

Me too, a truly marvellous weekend.

Southern TV (or was it TVS by then) on the pitch pre-match with the entire Albion contingent singing: "David Bobin is a w****r, is a w****r; David B......" Some things don't change, even after 35 years.

Lurker

56 years and counting ...
Mar 8, 2010
West Midlands
If this was the match that gained us promotion under Mullery, I was there. It was great for about three months in the following season however despite bringing in expensive players on long contracts the novelty soon worth off,backs to the wall,match after match. Relegation followed and we almost went out of the league,so we should not be too disappointed if Derby are promoted.

WTF?
Nobody can seriously be as miserable as that post suggests, you are clearly fishing ... not to mention totally inaccurate.
We spent the next FOUR SEASONS drinking at the top table, I recall under Mike Bailey we were even sitting as high as 6th or 7th at one point ... it was an incredible time to be supporting BHA.

That day in Newcastle was probably the best ever day following Albion, not least because we were head and shoulders the best team in the division and we knew we were going to win once that first goal went in, so there were no nerves, no squeaky bum ... just pure joy for the whole day.

I feel sorry for you 'youngsters' who couldn't have been there, you missed a magical time in the life of BHA.

Anchorman

Oct 19, 2007
Did anyone on here go on the chartered plane (there might have been two I think) was £59 including a seat ticket if memory serves. Was on the pitch at the end on my mates shoulders, I remember Alan Mullery coming out to acknowledge the supporters and dashing back inside when those on the pitch saw him and charged toward him. Got back in time to see the Regency Final at the dog stadium and then back to Brighton station to greet the players when they came back in that night. What a day. Great memories. Marvellous scenes!!

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Will never forget that day. Although we were much stronger promotion candidates back then I can still recall being very nervous on the way up to St James Park, but that team just did a very professional job, took the chances when they came, so no faffing about with last minute goals. Brilliant.

I quietly hope we will experience something similar if we get to the play off final at Wembley......

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
If this was the match that gained us promotion under Mullery, I was there. It was great for about three months in the following season however despite bringing in expensive players on long contracts the novelty soon worth off,backs to the wall,match after match. Relegation followed and we almost went out of the league,so we should not be too disappointed if Derby are promoted.

That's crazy talk!

Surely, you could have mustered enthusiasm during the whole season for the win at the City Ground, and then the phenomenal form around Christmas including stuffing Crystal Palace 3-0, and the visits to Anfield, Goodison, Old Trafford, Highbury, Maine Road etc?

WTF?
Nobody can seriously be as miserable as that post suggests, you are clearly fishing ... not to mention totally inaccurate.
We spent the next FOUR SEASONS drinking at the top table, I recall under Mike Bailey we were even sitting as high as 6th or 7th at one point ... it was an incredible time to be supporting BHA.

That day in Newcastle was probably the best ever day following Albion, not least because we were head and shoulders the best team in the division and we knew we were going to win once that first goal went in, so there were no nerves, no squeaky bum ... just pure joy for the whole day.

I feel sorry for you 'youngsters' who couldn't have been there, you missed a magical time in the life of BHA.

This, as they say

Did anyone on here go on the chartered plane (there might have been two I think) was £59 including a seat ticket if memory serves. Was on the pitch at the end on my mates shoulders, I remember Alan Mullery coming out to acknowledge the supporters and dashing back inside when those on the pitch saw him and charged toward him. Got back in time to see the Regency Final at the dog stadium and then back to Brighton station to greet the players when they came back in that night. What a day. Great memories. Marvellous scenes!!

My late father did. I believe it was a Dan Air charter(?); something's telling me it was their last commercial flight using a DH Comet.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here