Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

As the only employee in my business, can i sack myself with a pay off and re-employ?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Basically, I am looking for a legal, tax efficient way to get money out of my business.

Generally speaking, dividends are the way to go; after maximising your allowable expenses, of course. Happy to help further by PM if helpful.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Basically, I am looking for a legal, tax efficient way to get money out of my business.

I think I'm correct in saying that even if you tick all the boxes and follow all the procedures correctly if HMRC can demonstrate its an artificial arrangement designed purely to lower your tax burden then you're in trouble.

Frampler

Aug 25, 2011
Eastbourne
As a side-point. I was made redundant and offered to re-apply for a new role. That new role was identical to my existing role but instead of getting overtime if we worked weekends, they wanted us to work any 5 out of 7 days in a week.

Is that legal?

Broadly, yes. Dismissal and re-engagement on new terms in the employer's last option if an agreement on new terms cannot be reached, and redundancy exercises are often accompanied by a restructuring where key terms and conditions of the remaining employees are altered. However, I see lots of unfair dismissal claims arising out of circumstances where employer has got this wrong - it's always worth speaking to an employment lawyer or trade union if threatened with redundancy.

Frampler

Aug 25, 2011
Eastbourne
I think I'm correct in saying that even if you tick all the boxes and follow all the procedures correctly if HMRC can demonstrate its an artificial arrangement designed purely to lower your tax burden then you're in trouble.

Spot on. HMRC are becoming very alert to one employee companies playing this type of game. It's much easier, and more lawful, to take the money out as dividends.

Doctor Beaker

Oct 30, 2014
Why not make some crappy remarks about your business in the local boozer, make sure people hear you - sue yourself for deformation, and settle out of court?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Spot on. HMRC are becoming very alert to one employee companies playing this type of game. It's much easier, and more lawful, to take the money out as dividends.

And as I understand it if you're not at-arms-length from the business, which clearly isn't the case with the poster, you will be definitely be in a spot of bother with this caper as well.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Why not make some crappy remarks about your business in the local boozer, make sure people hear you - sue yourself for deformation, and settle out of court?

Why not just give yourself a huge pay rise then retire?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
As with all these dodges, if you are the first to think of it you may well get away with it. Once others cotton on, along with HMRC then you'll be in trouble.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
As with all these dodges, if you are the first to think of it you may well get away with it. Once others cotton on, along with HMRC then you'll be in trouble.

As I said, I am after a LEGAL way of getting money out, just the most tax efficient way.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As I said, I am after a LEGAL way of getting money out, just the most tax efficient way.

Have you tried asking an accountant?

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
Become a limited company and go the dividends route.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Does your employer have the right to see your passport if they choose?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here