Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] AS Roma vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
With us having our best spell in the game and only 2-0 down mid way through the second half if we can bring it back to 2-1 the tie is still alive in the second leg. Of course we’ll never know as the goal stood.

Yeah possibly but I still very much doubt it.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
what really I don’t understand is why if this young lad from Argentina is good enough to play in international competitions etc, why he is not good enough to have been in the squad and brought on tonight when we needed him!

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Dunk was so bad tonight it was upsetting. He looked like a man at the end of his career. It has to come sometime but I don’t like the thought one bit
He was second best to Van Hecke this evening, who I thought was superb, especially after getting booked . . . . I'd have expected Italians to target him and get him sent off, but he's too good.

With all due respect to Dunk, he didn't foul, get booked, or sent off Either.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
I’m not so sure why so many are surprised… now, I don’t mean disappointed - of course we’re all gutted, as it’s the hope that kills you… but surprised?

We’re in wretched form, with two of our recent ‘big’ wins coming against a terrible injury ravaged Palace and Sheff (northern alliance) utd… we’re equally ravaged by injuries, an errant transfer policy and a scattergun selection generator - something seemed off at Fulham and Roma are basically at the opposite end of the spectrum… new head coach, a club legend… resurgent… and all the rest. A recipe for a chastising defeat, and lo and behold that’s what we got.

Raking over it is pointless… take it on the chin, accept it for what it is and move on… things can surely only get better.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
This

It's not over yet . . . Stranger things have happened . . . . . . to us!

We are seriously depleted . .Solly was on fire, as was MItoma, both gone . . . Enciso was great and not a shadow of his former self . . . .etc etc etc . . .

It's already clear this season will end in a minor wimper, compared to our wildly optimistic dream, but with good reason, but bloody hell, what a season anyway . . . . We've seen things we never ever dreamed would happed 25-30 years ago . . . . If RDZ peaked 3 months ago and TB takes £12m, great . . . If RDZ wants to knuckle down and learn, so we improve . . . with TB's backing, great . . . . any other scenario . . . . TB wins, we've learned and we move on.

The only indispensable is TB . . . . . and Pascal Gross . . . . We're f***ed without him 😬
Bloody well said.

Besides, my scouser mate told me his team were 3 nil down at HT once against Roma and…

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I’m not so sure why so many are surprised… now, I don’t mean disappointed - of course we’re all gutted, as it’s the hope that kills you… but surprised?

We’re in wretched form, with two of our recent ‘big’ wins coming against a terrible injury ravaged Palace and Sheff (northern alliance) utd… we’re equally ravaged by injuries, an errant transfer policy and a scattergun selection generator - something seemed off at Fulham and Roma are basically at the opposite end of the spectrum… new head coach, a club legend… resurgent… and all the rest. A recipe for a chastising defeat, and lo and behold that’s what we got.

Raking over it is pointless… take it on the chin, accept it for what it is and move on… things can surely only get better.
Absolutely this,..

it was about damage limitation tonight, sadly RDZ set out the same old way “the Brighton way” when we needed another way.

I love the bloke, but he has a life span of two seasons wherever he goes because he plays one way.

Seaview Seagull

NSC Patron
Mar 1, 2021
We can make all the excuses we like but I am now seriously worried we have just forgotten defending. Our defending over the last few games has been awful no matter who the personnel are. To me this suggests that the manager doesn't get defending as a serious part of the game. I love de Zerbi and his exciting football but he needs to be aware of stopping goals as well as scoring them particularly at a time we can't seem to get the ball in the net.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Mitoma, Pedro, March, an in form Enciso and Pervis would of made quite a big difference to recent results.

Yep. We are terrible at the back, and not scoring, and imo that's on RDZ as he has been too stubborn to change things, but undoubtedly losing our best players has really hurt us - such a shame as the season had so much promise that night we beat Marseille to top the group.

Very naive tonight I think. As they said at the start of the West Ham game tonight, prioritise defence away from home in Europe when you've got the home leg to come. Don't be out of the tie after the first leg.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Yep. We are terrible at the back, and not scoring, and imo that's on RDZ as he has been too stubborn to change things, but undoubtedly losing our best players has really hurt us - such a shame as the season had so much promise that night we beat Marseille to top the group.

Very naive tonight I think. As they said at the start of the West Ham game tonight, prioritise defence away from home in Europe when you've got the home leg to come. Don't be out of the tie after the first leg.
This.

I would add individual mistakes and non-existent marking on crosses.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
We can make all the excuses we like but I am now seriously worried we have just forgotten defending. Our defending over the last few games has been awful no matter who the personnel are. To me this suggests that the manager doesn't get defending as a serious part of the game. I love de Zerbi and his exciting football but he needs to be aware of stopping goals as well as scoring them particularly at a time we can't seem to get the ball in the net.
We simply miss a fully functional Veltman, Dunk, Colwell, Pervis..... with a missing Caicedo/Gross or Macalister midfield shield....

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Absolutely this,..

it was about damage limitation tonight, sadly RDZ set out the same old way “the Brighton way” when we needed another way.

I love the bloke, but he has a life span of two seasons wherever he goes because he plays one way.
The media are doing him no favours continually labelling him as brilliant. He is being linked with bigger jobs but has done nothing to deserve this attention. Its the Emperors Clothes all over again just like Potter. After nearly two seasons I think we all know that he only wants to play one way. High risk..loose..open football...with little or no thought given to any defensive stability. An unrealistic expectation of total ball playing from all players that results in too much pressure, overplaying and too many mistakes. We are now faltering through key injuries and players losing a degree of confidence. We have dropped a level and its showing.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
The media are doing him no favours continually labelling him as brilliant. He is being linked with bigger jobs but has done nothing to deserve this attention. Its the Emperors Clothes all over again just like Potter. After nearly two seasons I think we all know that he only wants to play one way. High risk..loose..open football...with little or no thought given to any defensive stability. An unrealistic expectation of total ball playing from all players that results in too much pressure, overplaying and too many mistakes. We are now faltering through key injuries and players losing a degree of confidence. We have dropped a level and its showing.
Yep, but we enjoyed the ride, it was rather good, and can’t wait to go Sunday / Thursday
UTA

Have a nice nightcap Mo 🤟

AlexBH

Nov 19, 2017
De Zerbi is undoubtedly a good manager and we have had some fantastic results, scored a lot of goals and played some great football, but we’re mid table, one point above a Wolves team a similar size to us and Gary O’Neil is getting nowhere near the same amount of praise as RDZ.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
This is just Poyet Mark 2. RDZ can go now and do himself and everyone a favour frankly. I'm just pissed off I've spent £36 for a ticket for a nothing match next Thursday I'm now not going to.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
De Zerbi is undoubtedly a good manager and we have had some fantastic results, scored a lot of goals and played some great football, but we’re mid table, one point above a Wolves team a similar size to us and Gary O’Neil is getting nowhere near the same amount of praise as RDZ.

If he was called Gario O'Nealio I'm sure he would be

Although in all seriousness, RDZ did come in and set the Prem alight really with his style of football that had us bamboozling opposition and scoring for fun. Was obviously going to catch the headlines, especially when he took us into europe. We has a fantastic record from when he came in up to shortly into this season, and obviously in the group stage.

All good things come to an end though, and he desperately needs to learn to adapt when injuries hit, etc. We've been very unfortunate but they squad we've still had really shouldn't be conceding the amount of goals we are.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here