Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

As Kayal isn't fit for tomorrow night who would you play instead?

Who would you play if Kayal can't make it v Ipswich

• Norwood

Votes: 84 62.7%
  • Sidwell

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Someone else

Votes: 2 1.5%

• Total voters

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Damn I didn't consider the 4-5-1 option.

Now I've seen that I'd go with that too. Easy to switch to two up top later in the game if needed.

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
Has to be Norwood, the last couple of times I have seen Sidwell (Reading and Barnsley (sub) ) I wouldn't have him anywhere near the first team. Slow and disinterested at best. Seems to blow hot and cold and struggles for consistency.

Sidwell on Saturday comes on as a sub. 10 minutes later he trots after a ball putting no effort in hoping it's going out but it doesn't as their winger keeps it in as crosses it. If sidwell had put in any effort he could have got there. Maybe he was saving himself for later - not right somewhere - attitude or fitness

Surrey Phil

Aug 3, 2010
For an away game - Sidwell all day long. Be tempted to play Baldock & Murray & give Tomer a rest for Sheffield Wed :laugh:

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Neither option inspire great confidence but Sidwell would be my pick.

Norwood looks a decent ball player but has neither the pace or physical strength to play in a two man midfield. Sidwell is by no means on form but gives us more industry and nous in the middle and that's why I favour him.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I know Norwood was in the Championship team of the year last season, but he doesn't seem to have shown why since he came here. Sidwell so far this season isn't what he used to be, but he'd get my vote for this evening.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Amazed that people have confidence in Norwood, he has been awful every game I have seen. He loses the ball or misplaces passes in very important areas, he has done this consistently in every game he has played including against Colchester and Oxford. He has got away with most of them JUST but it is a matter of time before he seriously ****s up. A very irritating player to watch, has an inability to do the most simple of tasks. I really hope he turns is around but I am not impressed with what I have seen.

Disagree with you on this. Norwood is very good at retaining possession, and is one of the best passers of the ball in our squad. I think he had about the best pass success rate in the Championship last season, and he also makes a significantly above average number of passes, as he sits deep and accepts the ball from the centre backs.
From what I can see he has two problems:
-- he can sit too deep, and become unambitious in his passing
-- he doesn't have that requisite physicality, dynamism and strength that both Stephens and especially Kayal have

All of which points to (and as others have said on here): he looks like a better replacement of Stephens (he tends to pick the ball off our centre halves and is a better passer than Kayal); there are doubts about him playing in a two man midfield, especially in away fixtures against the sort of well organised teams that Mick McCarthy has cut his managerial cloth out of.

Thimble Keegan

Remy LeBeau
Jul 7, 2003
Rustington, Littlehampton
I think it may well depend on who we play upfront.

I am convinced we got Norwood in because we expected to also sign this pacey no.10 striker like Pritchard. Judging by the timings I would imagine the club were going to announce the double swoop of Norwood & Pritchard on the same day!

Norwood is a very good passer with his main job to be putting balls through for the more rapid strikers to run onto. This just will not work with Hemed & Murray as neither have the pace to get away from a defence...They are more suited to hold-up play and feeding off balls into the box.

Now, I quite like Baldock as he works hard and when he plays with Hemed we have a good record however, I completely understand the criticism he receives for his (lack of) scoring record. But, in theory he is currently the one player in the squad who should benefit from Norwood being on the pitch. Without signing the no.10 striker the club were after, it should now be Baldock being put through by Norwood.

So, back to my original point it probably comes down to who starts up top. I thought Hemed had a decent game on Saturday but Murray bagged a brace so he has to start. Now, if Hemed partners Murray again then I would go with Sidwell and then look to get the ball to the wide men as soon as possible...If Hemed drops to the bench and Baldock comes in then I would give Norwood a go.

The one thing we should definitely not do is start messing around with the formation, as for me it seemed that this was when we dropped points last season.

Albion & England forever.

Thimble Keegan
Croydon BHA

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Disagree with you on this. Norwood is very good at retaining possession, and is one of the best passers of the ball in our squad. I think he had about the best pass success rate in the Championship last season, and he also makes a significantly above average number of passes, as he sits deep and accepts the ball from the centre backs.
From what I can see he has two problems:
-- he can sit too deep, and become unambitious in his passing
-- he doesn't have that requisite physicality, dynamism and strength that both Stephens and especially Kayal have

All of which points to (and as others have said on here): he looks like a better replacement of Stephens (he tends to pick the ball off our centre halves and is a better passer than Kayal); there are doubts about him playing in a two man midfield, especially in away fixtures against the sort of well organised teams that Mick McCarthy has cut his managerial cloth out of.

You are basing that opinion on his very good statistics from last season. This season he has been very poor, Aspinall has picked up on this in every game too, he really did have a proper lay into him in the Reading cup game last week too. A player who is resting on his good stats from last season.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
You are basing that opinion on his very good statistics from last season. This season he has been very poor, Aspinall has picked up on this in every game too, he really did have a proper lay into him in the Reading cup game last week too. A player who is resting on his good stats from last season.

No, I'm not basing my opinion only on last year's stats. I'm also basing it on the c5 games I've seen him play this season: see, for instance, the two problems I've identified. I'd also say it's too early to say he's resting on last season's stats.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Either way its pretty nice to have the option of Norwood or Sidwell, both who i would be happy with.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
No, I'm not basing my opinion only on last year's stats. I'm also basing it on the c5 games I've seen him play this season: see, for instance, the two problems I've identified. I'd also say it's too early to say he's resting on last season's stats.

I really want him to come good as the performances I have seen have not matched the hype or the stats. If he does play tonight then a goal or even an assist would help!

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
I don't enjoy saying this but I'm firmly in the ABS (anyone but Sidwell) camp. No doubt a very accomplished player in his prime but he's too sluggish and one dimensional now, especially as a match starter. I liken him to Crofts, another player who became a shadow of their former self in the latter years of their career. For that matter, let's give Norwood a real crack at making a name for himself. If it goes wrong, well, it's not like we had many other options is it?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I really want him to come good as the performances I have seen have not matched the hype or the stats. If he does play tonight then a goal or even an assist would help!

I do agree that his performances for us this season indicate issues, although I don't think there's been too much hype directed at him. I also have doubts whether he has the forceful and physical personality to play in a two-man CM, but he deserves time to show us exactly what type of player he is, and what he can do.

mccraque

Feb 24, 2009
Sidwell if he plays like he did at the end of last season. Although he wears his shorts like Simon Cowell.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here