Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] As an employer this made me chuckle

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
In a commission based, high value sales job, a 48 hour week is a bit slack to be fair.

Fair enough. You'd have to have very little time for life outside of work though. Not for me, particularly seeing as how much tax you have to pay once you exceed 100K per year.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Fair enough. You'd have to have very little time for life outside of work though. Not for me, particularly seeing as how much tax you have to pay once you exceed 100K per year.

I agree. To be fair, I know F all about sales or estate agency so I wouldn’t listen to me.

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
She says she has some sort of problem with her payslip regarding sick pay. I dunno, I maybe way off the mark but I’m building up a picture of an office moaner with a bad sickness record. And someone who chooses to tell her story to the Daily Mail. Which means at the very least, she has questionable scruples.
But I’m very willing to say that I could be totally wrong. With only a Daily Mail article to work from, it’s hard to ascertain.

She hasn't told her story to the DM, they have reported on the court case.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
It wasn't the legal side, just the OP's implication that 48 hour weeks were somehow normal practice and that not wanting to do them was a bit slack.

Not my implication at all, for a lot of people, emergency services staff, tradesmen, the self employed, 48 hours a week is par for the course.

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...dvisor-wins-23-000-payout-sacked-moaning.html

Some weeks my staff, who have all been superb in the pandemic, would love to work a mere 48 hours :ffsparr:

By some weeks, do you mean that occasionally you had busy weeks where you staff worked over 48 hours or do your staff regularly work more than 48 hours a week? The article seems to imply that working over 48 hours a week was normal practice, and does not actually specify how many hours were worked.

If your staff are regularly working over 48 hours a week I would hope that this is paid overtime and optional.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
She says she has some sort of problem with her payslip regarding sick pay. I dunno, I maybe way off the mark but I’m building up a picture of an office moaner with a bad sickness record. And someone who chooses to tell her story to the Daily Mail. Which means at the very least, she has questionable scruples.
But I’m very willing to say that I could be totally wrong. With only a Daily Mail article to work from, it’s hard to ascertain.

You are projecting here ( we've all worked with one).
The sickness period was directly after a complaint about not being paid commission.
I suspect it may not have been due to "stress" at all, but at being seriously pissed off with being ripped off.

The employers stated that she was "money-driven" this is a particularly odd statement from an estate agents.
What did they want? An employee working for tuppence and the joy of finding people homes?

The company were found guilty of withholding £2,500 pay illegally. Presumably her contractual commission, as they were also forced to pay unpaid sick-pay.

If they aren't paying for her commission, then they should be paying overtime for the free hours she has ended up working ( for the company's profit).
I suspect this is were the argument around WTD started and actually this case has nothing to do with the hours worked, it's about wrongful dismissal.

Last edited:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
You are projecting here ( we've all worked with one).
The sickness period was directly after a complaint about not being paid commission.
I suspect it may not have been due to "stress" at all, but at being seriously pissed off with being ripped off.

The employers stated that she was "money-driven" this is a particularly odd statement from an estate agents.
What did they want an employee working for tuppence and the joy of finding people homes?

The company were found guilty of withholding £2,500 pay illegally. Presumably her contractual commission, as they were also forced to pay unpaid sick-pay.

If they aren't paying for her commission, then they should be paying overtime for the free hours she has ended up working ( for the company's profit).
I suspect this is were the argument around WTD started and actually this case has nothing to do with the hours worked, it's about wrongful dismissal.

Projecting? That I can’t agree with. I haven’t had to miss a shift through illness or otherwise in over six years. Long may that last.

But the rest, yes, all makes sense. I’ve crashed into this thread with scant knowledge of the matter and my opinion is largely based on the fact that she looks like a person I used to work with in an office who sat at her desk, ate buns and moaned about everything to everyone.
I’m being a bit tongue in cheek but yes, you’re correct of course.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Projecting? That I can’t agree with. I haven’t had to miss a shift through illness or otherwise in over six years. Long may that last.

But the rest, yes, all makes sense. I’ve crashed into this thread with scant knowledge of the matter and my opinion is largely based on the fact that she looks like a person I used to work with in an office who sat at her desk, ate buns and moaned about everything to everyone.
I’m being a bit tongue in cheek but yes, you’re correct of course.

I didn't mean you. There is no reference to any sickness other than the two weeks following the disputed commission.
I assumed you were remembering some office harridan and projecting her traits onto this woman.
We have all worked with one. (fortunately not for the past 20+ years in my case)

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
By the way if we are doing willy waving as to hours worked per week my first offshore (BP Forties Bravo and Charlie) job was taking part in an emergency asbestos cleanup and repair project back in 1991.

BP were cacking themselves as Lloyds were threatening to pull their Insurance i.e. shut the platforms and hence the field down.

As a consequence we were on 15 hour shifts, 6AM to 9PM, 7 days a week which I reckon is 105 hours, luckily nowt else to do on an oil rig in those days.

We were on offshore rate as well so after a few months bought an almost new Peugot 205GTi.

The joke was we repaired the asbestos firebreaks and cleaned up all the debris but the vast majority of it is still in place. Which may concern the new owners of the Forties Field (Apache Oil) as they come to decommission the Platforms... :eek:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I didn't mean you.

I correctly guessed you were remembering some office harridan.
We have all worked with one. (fortunately not for the past 20+ years in my case)

Ah. I apologise. Yes, one of the few times I’ve worked in an office. It did not suit me so I left after a year. Now I’m left to my own devices.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
By the way if we are doing willy waving as to hours worked per week my first offshore (BP Forties Bravo and Charlie) job was taking part in an emergency asbestos cleanup and repair project back in 1991.

BP were cacking themselves as Lloyds were threatening to pull their Insurance i.e. shut the platforms and hence the field down.

As a consequence we were on 15 hour shifts, 6AM to 9PM, 7 days a week which I reckon is 105 hours, luckily nowt else to do on an oil rig in those days.

We were on offshore rate as well so after a few months bought an almost new Peugot 205GTi.

The joke was we repaired the asbestos firebreaks and cleaned up all the debris but the vast majority of it is still in place. Which may concern the new owners of the Forties Field (Apache Oil) as they come to decommission the Platforms... :eek:

Ouch. I imagine that’s graft too. At least in my job we can have hours of nothing happening. Days sometimes. It’s a very responsive role and there is zero heavy-lifting :)

But yeah, that sounds knackering. Kudos to you.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If staff are regularly working over 48 hours a week I would hope that this is paid overtime and optional.

Something a boss once said to me, which I have always remembered, is “If my staff are working long hours I’m either not employing enough people or I’m recruiting the wrong people. Either way it doesn’t look good for me.”

I get this.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Ouch. I imagine that’s graft too. At least in my job we can have hours of nothing happening. Days sometimes. It’s a very responsive role and there is zero heavy-lifting :)

But yeah, that sounds knackering. Kudos to you.

I forgot to add it was 2 weeks on / 2 weeks off, so 210 hours in a fortnight. Nothing else to do on a Platform in those days except eat/sleep/work. As I needed BP induction etc. actually spent 16 days offshore as my first dibs as a North Sea Tiger.

Oil installations are dry so first night back in Aberdeen was pissed as a parrot after three pints... :lolol:

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
They're not of course but a constantly moaning member of staff impacts the atmosphere in an office and can drag everyone down, I know, I've had just the one member of staff over the years who moaned about pretty well everything. I nearly did a backflip of joy when she handed in her notice and the atmosphere in the office improved dramatically the day she left. If I'd been able to get away with it I'd definitely have sacked her for moaning. she was very good at her job though in fairness.

Why didnt you just kill her?

I'm having a particularly shit day, but this tickled me and resulted in an actual LOL :lolol:

:thumbsup:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I forgot to add it was 2 weeks on / 2 weeks off, so 210 hours in a fortnight. Nothing else to do on a Platform in those days except eat/sleep/work. As I needed BP induction etc. actually spent 16 days offshore as my first dibs as a North Sea Tiger.

Oil installations are dry so first night back in Aberdeen was pissed as a parrot after three pints... :lolol:

And who would blame you!

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
And who would blame you!

Wish I could manage it now, would be a lot richer.

My other memory of that night was tumbling out onto Union Street to get back to my digs and a load of Aberdeen 'Wee Wifies', all dressed up to kill, also tumbling out of a Theatre where they had just seen the Chippendales strutting their stuff. Gots loads of lairy comments but wasn't in any condition to do anything about it. All after three pints of Heavy... :down:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here