Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] 'Artisan' Pork Scratchings.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
FFS pork scratchings must not have additional flavourings to them.

So for anyone who is mad enough to say that they like port scratchings with salt n vinegar or any other flavour, if you were cooking a pork roast at home, would you actually smoother your pork joint in vinegar. no of course you wouldn't so therefore vinegar has no place on pork scratchings.

Absolutely this.

All the flavour in pork scratchings should be . . . in the pork. All that amazing "porkiness" is the whole reason for eating them, so why adulterate the flavour with anything else?

If it's salt & vinegar, or cheese & onion you are after, then go and buy a packet of crisps.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This what I love about North Stand Chat! Completely random empassioned debates about trivial issues (except it not trivial at all). For what its worth I agree with the OP salty traditional goodness only! None of this multi flavoured, light and airy puffy nonsense!!

I'm sure someone will be along soon to tell us all it's 'pointless', but hey if we were all the same everything would be pointless.

Jul 7, 2003
The normal Awfully Posh ones used to be really good and were just pork rinds and salt. They were actually recommended in a healthy eating plan as a snack because there was no sugar etc

Most of the others are loaded with sugar, additives and flavourings which are not great.

Unfortunately, their quality control seemed to drop and you would get a few bags which would taste pretty rank.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
My understanding is that most of the rind for Pork Scratchings "made" in the UK comes from Holland and Germany.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I broke a tooth on proper crackling from my pork joint last weekend but don't regret it for a second. You have to be prepared to suffer (both physically and financially) for what is morally right :thumbsup:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Pork Scratchings are for part timers....

Pigs trotters and marmite is the snack of every person that has ever worked in an abattoir

What about chicken itchings or donkey scabs?

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
I can do you cat scratching if that helps?

cat scratching.jpg

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I can't believe I've wasted an afternoon discussing global warming and missed this thread.

The snip below contains 3 of my favourite things. Faversham, The Albion, and...

yum.PNG

HHGull

BZ fan club
Dec 29, 2011

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Really not important me where they come from, just as long as the porky flavour is there, and that they are at least reasonably healthy.

The pigs or the scratchings ?

I like them but something I don't eat very often HOWEVER they do form part of my secret sausage roll recipe alongside a packet of Frazzles.

Pork mince has quite a subtle flavour and the addition of herbs is fine.

However a combination of the concentrated (scratchings) and synthetic (Frazzles) really them PORK THEM UP to the max.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The pigs or the scratchings ?

I like them but something I don't eat very often HOWEVER they do form part of my secret sausage roll recipe alongside a packet of Frazzles.

Pork mince has quite a subtle flavour and the addition of herbs is fine.

However a combination of the concentrated (scratchings) and synthetic (Frazzles) really them PORK THEM UP to the max.

You're just trolling us now:-

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
A truly artisan pork scratching can be found in bars in Spain.

Let's face it, no-one does pork like the Spanish and I'm not taking about the cured stuff.

I wasn't brave enough to eat it rare, but I cried first time I had the "Presa" cut.

The finely cut squares of suckling belly with crispy skin are basically sex on a plate.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
You're just trolling us now:-

Well I might as well post if NSC promises to turn it into a commercial business. You can vary it all you like but they are some major principle to my secret sausage.

1) Puff Pastry, but the vegetable fat version NOT the butter one. The Green Just-Roll ready rolled is the one. Controversial, but you don't want your saturated fats fighting here.

2) A good sausage meat. By far my personal favourite is the Waitrose pork and nutmeg mix. If you get the meat, it's identical to the same sausage they sell just remove it from the skins. Because of the extra ingredients, you need to favour a leaner mix.

3) Add to the meat what people eat sausage rolls with. So for me it's a splash of English Mustard, Brown Sauce AND Ketchup (*). Hedge your bets.

4) PORK IT UP. A hand full of ground SCRATCHINGS and a ground PACKET of Frazzles.

5) Onion and Garlic but always the dried and ground powder variety. Their fresh varieties don't cut the mustard but don't forget the mustard.

6) A few breadcrumbs to counter act the extra liquid and fat you have added.

Now this is really the sausage roll secret.

1) When you have ROLLED YOUR SAUSAGE MEAT roll it in liberally in fresh breadcrumbs and definitely not the dried variety. No need to egg, you already have a PORKY STICKY MIX.

PACK THEM ON

2) Brush the inside of the pastry with mustard before rolling round the SAUSAGE to ensure it sticks tight.

It's not a new idea, but the application to sausage rolls is my personal genius. It's Beef Wellington inspired (which uses pancakes) to soak up liquid and fat to ensure the pastry is crispy.

Basically cavity wall insulation for the sausage.

(*) On the Ketchup front I have sourced a dried spice mix that is made from Ketchup ingredients. Marvellous stuff, basically dehydrated Ketchup.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here