Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Artificial Intelligence

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I’m sure it’ll do some good until some greedy arse gets his hands on it and figures out how to weaponise it or use it as a tool of oppression. Like we always do.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
what "disaster" has occured? its all speculation right now. most of the claims and things being shown as dangerous AI are things we've been able to do for years, just slower or lower quality. be wary of calls to regulate and restrict as they are going to limit access to the existing holders of the technology, not stop it being used.
Precisely.

I'm filing this with the 'millennium bug'.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
I’m not going to argue against IR, just what mankind has done with it.
This is going to be the crux of it with AI too. The potential benefits are huge, but there is also great potential for it to do harm.

Sadly as a species, our record for this kind of thing isn't great.

The speed of development for the technology itself and its practical applications has exploded, so governance and ethics are lagging behind due to the AI gold rush (good old unfettered capitalism at play again).

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
This is going to be the crux of it with AI too. The potential benefits are huge, but there is also great potential for it to do harm.

Sadly as a species, our record for this kind of thing isn't great.

The speed of development for the technology itself and its practical applications has exploded, so governance and ethics are lagging behind due to the AI gold rush (good old unfettered capitalism at play again).
The recently leaked internal memo from a senior Google engineer is quite telling in terms of the current rate of development.

Google, with almost unlimited resources and some of the smartest people on the planet, can't keep up and are getting left behind.

There will already be bad people creating bad things to do bad stuff.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The recently leaked internal memo from a senior Google engineer is quite telling in terms of the current rate of development.

Google, with almost unlimited resources and some of the smartest people on the planet, can't keep up and are getting left behind.

There will already be bad people creating bad things to do bad stuff.
IMG_8860.jpeg

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I haven't scrolled through the thread but it wouldn't surprise me if someone has suggested that AI will invent time travel and that 'one day' we will receive visitors from the future. You can guess the rest.

Earlier today I asked ChatGPT to explain how one may invent a drug that, in a nutshell, does what a drug me and my pals have invented and patented does. A disease-selective drug. ChatGPT was clueless and just gave me all the conventional wisdom bullshit.

When software can invent something genuinely novel, that isn't simply an amalgam of what we already have, then I'll be impressed. I'll expect a gloating phone call (it will know my number).

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Evidence suggests otherwise. Gen Z’ers actually get conned more often, for smaller amounts of money, than any other generation. Because they believe people are nice and that technology filters out the fakes and scams.

I read some research done on this and I’ll try and find the publication.

That's down to being young, the older they get the more they will wise up to the world.

The more parents are of generations that were exposed to scams the more kids will be taught to be very aware of them.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I’ll have a peep at that when i have a mo
It's a useful quick daily round-up of a lot of what is happening in and around AI.

I won't pretend to understand some of it, but I want to try and keep up to date.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Will be a different story when we can getting it working properly and regular but we cant even get the more routine IT systems working reliably so not worried with what I've encountered so far.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
As with any computer system, if you put crap into it you will get crap out. So who is determining what is crap and what isn't?
very understated point. controlling the model and inputs needs a lot of research an analysis for anything meaningful to come out. seeing new role of "prompt engineer" to manage the AI tools.
I haven't scrolled through the thread but it wouldn't surprise me if someone has suggested that AI will invent time travel and that 'one day' we will receive visitors from the future. You can guess the rest.

Earlier today I asked ChatGPT to explain how one may invent a drug that, in a nutshell, does what a drug me and my pals have invented and patented does. A disease-selective drug. ChatGPT was clueless and just gave me all the conventional wisdom bullshit.

When software can invent something genuinely novel, that isn't simply an amalgam of what we already have, then I'll be impressed. I'll expect a gloating phone call (it will know my number).
ChatGPT should be seen as a large scale internet infomation aggregator. its very clever at the language part, using a lot of of horsepower and storage under the hood to achieve that. other tools will find things by trial and error to a set criteria, like the protien folding tools that have been around for years. the clever stuff comes where the machine learning algo can adjust or correct the criteria for better outcomes. still need training to know what's "right" though.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

Yeah, I was going to post something similar. ChatGPT is not really 'artificial intelligence'. At the moment at the very best it's a kind of idiot savant: brilliant at processing existing data but not really capable of original thought, merely giving a pretence of it.

Of course we don't know what the boffins (or evil scientists) are currently working on, and if some experts are worried then yeah, there could be a cloud on the horizon. But at the moment I've got this filed under 'GM Foods'; something else where dire warnings were issued that proved to be groundless. (Of course by the time I find out I'm wrong and the earth is ruled by robots it'll be too late, but heigh ho, such is life).

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
What can it actually do AND DO WELL, that isn’t already done by automation?

I hear it’s going to replace this and make that obsolete.

So far? A few essays that are clearly computer generated and some nerds talking to a digital face in a lab in Ohio when they should be out banging beaver and chugging beers.
Here's just one example. AI has been integrated into Photoshop which will save experienced Photoshop users a LOT of time (and/or improve the quality of their work). It will also make inexperienced users of Photoshop able to manipulate/create images that previously they would need to ask (/pay) an experienced person to do. All by using natural language to just tell it what to do.

Clearly, AI-generated images aren't going to change the World on their own, but this is just one small example at the very start of a very steep development curve.
Apply a similar scenario to other jobs/professions and pretty soon, saving a few hours a week for specific jobs becomes huge job losses (and/or a need for re-skilling/training) across many (most?) sectors.
At the very least, there will be a huge shift in types of work, as AI technology simultaneously makes a load of traditional jobs redundant, but creates new types too. As I see it, it will take away more jobs than it creates.

Change is coming!

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Here's just one example. AI has been integrated into Photoshop which will save experienced Photoshop users a LOT of time (and/or improve the quality of their work). It will also make inexperienced users of Photoshop able to manipulate/create images that previously they would need to ask (/pay) an experienced person to do. All by using natural language to just tell it what to do.

Clearly, AI-generated images aren't going to change the World on their own, but this is just one small example at the very start of a very steep development curve.
Apply a similar scenario to other jobs/professions and pretty soon, saving a few hours a week for specific jobs becomes huge job losses (and/or a need for re-skilling/training) across many (most?) sectors.
At the very least, there will be a huge shift in types of work, as AI technology simultaneously makes a load of traditional jobs redundant, but creates new types too. As I see it, it will take away more jobs than it creates.

Change is coming!

A few people who have been winging it on an arts degree doing freelance work at an online magazine might be forced to go down the labour exchange?

I think we shall survive.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Douglas Adams foresaw all this in the 70s:

“You're really not going to like it," observed Deep Thought.

"Tell us!" "All right, said Deep Thought. "The answer to the Great Question..."

"Yes...!" "Of Life, the Universe and Everything..." said Deep Thought.

"Yes...!" "Is..." said Deep Thought, and paused. "Yes...!" "Is.......Forty-two"

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
A few people who have been winging it on an arts degree doing freelance work at an online magazine might be forced to go down the labour exchange?

I think we shall survive.
I guess you didn't read my whole post?

I sense you're being deliberately obtuse on this topic.

Are you in a bit of a general funk (tired maybe?), or just determined to bury your head in the sand on this?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Douglas Adams foresaw all this in the 70s:

“You're really not going to like it," observed Deep Thought.

"Tell us!" "All right, said Deep Thought. "The answer to the Great Question..."

"Yes...!" "Of Life, the Universe and Everything..." said Deep Thought.

"Yes...!" "Is..." said Deep Thought, and paused. "Yes...!" "Is.......Forty-two"
One day it’ll be 21 though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here