Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Artificial Intelligence

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
What can it actually do AND DO WELL, that isn’t already done by automation?

I hear it’s going to replace this and make that obsolete.

So far? A few essays that are clearly computer generated and some nerds talking to a digital face in a lab in Ohio when they should be out banging beaver and chugging beers.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
AI to me feels a bit like how I imagine the arrival of the industrial revolution felt at the time, a total game-changer which could have huge ramifications for our entire way of life. Which it did, no question about it.

Was some of it negative? Yes, unquestionably, it led to enormous hardship, poverty, industrial contamination, mechanised warfare and. ultimately, climate change. But does that mean it was all a negative which should never have happened? No, not even slightly, and I would argue that the Industrial Revolution is ultimately a net positive for society.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

So far? A few essays that are clearly computer generated and some nerds talking to a digital face in a lab in Ohio when they should be out banging beaver and chugging beers.
If we group together AI & ML - Anything behaviour based really. Such as in WiFi networks looking at real time noise in an environment and change channels / frequency to optimise performance of a network.

In cyber security - gone are the days of known attacks / malware and signatures to check against - it’s all behavioural based on a pc or laptop to block malicious behaviour based on what is happening rather than what it knows.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
AI to me feels a bit like how I imagine the arrival of the industrial revolution felt at the time, a total game-changer which could have huge ramifications for our entire way of life. Which it did, no question about it.

Was some of it negative? Yes, unquestionably, it led to enormous hardship, poverty, industrial contamination, mechanised warfare and. ultimately, climate change. But does that mean it was all a negative which should never have happened? No, not even slightly, and I would argue that the Industrial Revolution is ultimately a net positive for society.
It ushered in man made climate change and the likely destruction of planet earth and all life on it. Other than that, seems to be going okay so far.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
time-to-one-million-users.jpeg

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
If we group together AI & ML - Anything behaviour based really. Such as in WiFi networks looking at real time noise in an environment and change channels / frequency to optimise performance of a network.

In cyber security - gone are the days of known attacks / malware and signatures to check against - it’s all behavioural based on a pc or laptop to block malicious behaviour based on what is happening rather than what it knows.
My radio at work does that already. It’s a pain in the arse as it frequently loses or shifts network when I need it the most. The old designated channel radios had no such issues.

But, maybe I’m wrong. It could revolutionise the world. Or at least get a few nerds excited!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

If you've got a genuine interest to learn, and I'm not sure you do, subscribe to the Ben's Bites newsletter, and spend five or so minutes reading it every day.

Maybe pay particular attention to the Cool Tools section, even try a few.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
If you've got a genuine interest to learn, and I'm not sure you do, subscribe to the Ben's Bites newsletter, and spend five or so minutes reading it every day.

Maybe pay particular attention to the Cool Tools section, even try a few.
It sounds a bit like the Guardian for kids pull out section but I shall take a look.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

I'm certainly not banging the doom drum, but it is clearly going to be transformative in all manner of ways I can't begin to imagine, because I'm not smart enough.

For those who are smart and motivated enough, this current AI gold rush could make you extremely wealthy.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
It ushered in man made climate change and the likely destruction of planet earth and all life on it. Other than that, seems to be going okay so far.
It also dug millions out of starvation, led to the net increase in living conditions for the bulk of humanity, introduced us to proper medicines which help life expectancy shoot up across the world, it's not a total slam dunk for "Industrial Revolution is bad".

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
There's enough emails and phonecalls trying to con my elderly parents out of money as it is. In a few short years I imagine AI fraud will be horrific. I'm glad to have been born in the 70s. What a mess of the world humankind has made.

I disagree on that front.

Once the Silent Generation and the Boomers pass on it will become harder to scam people because once you get to Gen X you hit the first generation that's not scared of tech and is far more adept at picking up on bullshit and being aware of what a scam entails.

Even now on my smart phone it blocks scam calls or texts before I even respond to them.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
It also dug millions out of starvation, led to the net increase in living conditions for the bulk of humanity, introduced us to proper medicines which help life expectancy shoot up across the world, it's not a total slam dunk for "Industrial Revolution is bad".
You could add that we live a heck of lot longer on average now than pre IR

Reactions: A1X

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
AI is just a logical progression of what used to be called programming and the resultant automation of tasks. The rate of change has increased rapidly year on year. But code generating code (and hence decision making) is not new. Like anything it's what we do with it that matters and that means we need to consider how tightly regulated it is. There are currently bigger issues or potential issues that are or should be more scary e.g population growth, climate change , nuclear weapons ( any states not just NK) and biological bombs such as COVID and also the fact we are becoming immune to the effects of antibiotics.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I disagree on that front.

Once the Silent Generation and the Boomers pass on it will become harder to scam people because once you get to Gen X you hit the first generation that's not scared of tech and is far more adept at picking up on bullshit and being aware of what a scam entails.
Evidence suggests otherwise. Gen Z’ers actually get conned more often, for smaller amounts of money, than any other generation. Because they believe people are nice and that technology filters out the fakes and scams.

I read some research done on this and I’ll try and find the publication.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014

I think its a little dangerous and naive to dismiss the dangers of AI because a this moment in time it's not Skynet. Nobody is saying that ChatGPT is going to destroy humanity, just that there is a huge potential for AI to develop quicker than we can safely control.
Also we shouldn't necessarily be thinking of AI a problem on its own, its about how it will combine with other technologies. As mentioned in a previous post, AI combining with quantum computers has as much potential to be destructive as it does to change the world for the better.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I'm certainly not banging the doom drum, but it is clearly going to be transformative in all manner of ways I can't begin to imagine, because I'm not smart enough.

For those who are smart and motivated enough, this current AI gold rush could make you extremely wealthy.

One look at the rise of Nvidia share prices is proof of that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here