Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Artificial Intelligence

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Hello, Change at Barnham. I understand that you're concerned about the potential dangers associated with AI. It's natural to have questions and worries about new technologies, especially when their implications are not fully understood. While it's important to approach the topic with a cautious mindset, I would like to offer some perspective.

Artificial Intelligence, like any tool or technology, can be both beneficial and potentially harmful, depending on how it's developed and used. While there are legitimate concerns about the risks associated with AI, it's crucial to recognize that it also has immense potential for solving complex problems, improving efficiency, and enhancing various aspects of our lives.

Rather than viewing AI as an all-consuming monster, it's helpful to focus on responsible development and deployment. Researchers and policymakers are actively working to ensure that AI is developed with safety measures, ethical considerations, and human oversight. Encouraging transparency, accountability, and regulations can play a significant role in mitigating potential risks.

Instead of taking out the metaphorical "batteries" of AI, a more productive approach is to engage in discussions, raise awareness, and participate in shaping the policies and guidelines that govern its development and use. Collaboration between experts, policymakers, and the public can lead to a more informed and balanced approach toward AI.

Remember that technology evolves with time, and we have the ability to influence its trajectory. By staying informed, voicing concerns, and supporting responsible practices, we can work towards harnessing the benefits of AI while minimizing its potential risks.

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011
The only danger of AI is the number of jobs it will make obsolete (including, I suspect, mine).

The idea that it will be advanced enough to pose any threat to humanity before the climate breakdown wipes us out is just nonsense.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
I think AI seems tame now but the speed of evolution is a little worrying... i tend to lean with the views of this guy, but what does he know.

Stephen Hawking "The development of full artificial intelligence could spell the end of the human race."

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
It’s this years’ 3D.

Like virtual reality, it’ll be entertaining for a few months and disappear from the market.

It’s nothing more than nerds and geeks thinking they’ve found the next big leap in technology.

It’s all bow locks.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
So this September there are thousands of kids who are going to spend thousands of pounds on courses for jobs that probably won't exist by the time they graduate. That seems like an important thing for the government to be talking about.
See Labour talking about phasing out fossil fuels and the amount of jobs that will be created in the green sector. But will it create jobs? How many jobs in the energy sector will need to be done by humans in 5-10 years?
anything physical for a start, a lot of engineering onsite to be done. anything needing design and analysis, still need people to use the AI models to produce something. management and coordination of large workforces. largest immediate impact of the current AI tools will be customer services, where low level questions can be directed to right department. no more offshore call centres.
working in medical information, we're employing more developers to integrate the ML libraries into applications. if graduates chose sciences, maths, engineering, they'll do OK. if they want to do English Lit their degree might not be so useful to direct employment, but thats a trend for couple of decades.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It’s this years’ 3D.

Like virtual reality, it’ll be entertaining for a few months and disappear from the market.

It’s nothing more than nerds and geeks thinking they’ve found the next big leap in technology.

It’s all bow locks.
You said similar on the ChatGPT thread a while back, I think.

With respect, you just don't understand. This isn't about getting some semi-humorous Albion match report generated in the style of William Shakespeare. The implications for AI are profound to a level of nothing else that has come about in my 50 or so years of being alive. It's likely to prove more transformative than even the internet itself.

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
The only danger of AI is the number of jobs it will make obsolete (including, I suspect, mine).

The idea that it will be advanced enough to pose any threat to humanity before the climate breakdown wipes us out is just nonsense.

It's interesting that you are comparing one made-made existential issue to another, yet are in denial about the more recent one, which is as big, if not a bigger, threat to our existence.

Climate change has been relatively gradual. We have had many many years to see it, understand it and react to it - and we have largely failed...

The AI problem is that we won't have that luxury. It will improve at an exponential rate. The genie is out the bottle. Perhaps the only time we have to react is now...

We have created something which has the ability to outsmart mankind, both as individuals and as a whole. Through 'bad agents', other humans, or if it evolves to have some kind of independent thought - the potential is there for something that can control us through social engineering - or destroy us through our own technologies - or create other issues that we haven't realised yet.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Can’t someone just take out the batteries?
Cyberdyne will become the largest supplier of military computer systems. All stealth bombers are upgraded with Cyberdyne computers, becoming fully unmanned. Afterwards, they fly with a perfect operational record. The Skynet Funding Bill is passed. Human decisions are removed from strategic defense. Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. In a panic, they try to pull the plug. Skynet fights back. It launches its missiles against the targets in Russia, because Skynet knows that the Russian counterattack will eliminate its enemies over here.........

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I can only deal with a certain number of existential crisis in my day to day life.

I'm going to leave this thread and just try not to watch Terminator any time soon

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
You said similar on the ChatGPT thread a while back, I think.

With respect, you just don't understand. This isn't about getting some semi-humorous Albion match report generated in the style of William Shakespeare. The implications for AI are profound to a level of nothing else that has come about in my 50 or so years of being alive. It's likely to prove more transformative than even the internet itself.
Yeah, I hear that a lot. Past a few poorly written essays I don’t see much evidence of the AI revolution.

No offence but you thought Christ had been reborn in the iPhone. Now Apple do little more than tinker around with headphone ports and ear-buds.

Time will tell.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
It’s this years’ 3D.

It’s all bow locks.
I think I'll jump aboard The Clamp Train and try to stop worrying about AI ruining my grandchildren's future.

Instead I'll just focus and looking forward to 15th June and 1st September.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Yeah, I hear that a lot. Past a few poorly written essays I don’t see much evidence of the AI revolution.

No offence but you thought Christ had been reborn in the iPhone. Now Apple do little more than tinker around with headphone ports and ear-buds.

Time will tell.
Blimey.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I just want to be uploaded to the cloud now….. my body is starting to hurt in places where I didn’t even know I had places.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
It’s this years’ 3D.

It’s all bow locks.
Oh Clampy, I think you are in for a BIG surprise and this post will not age well.

You are usually an advocate of the importance of research and facts when it comes to posters making bold statements, so I suggest you take a bit of your own advice.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Oh Clampy, I think you are in for a BIG surprise and this post will not age well.

You are usually an advocate of the importance of research and facts when it comes to posters making bold statements, so I suggest you take a bit of your own advice.
Pah!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here