Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Article: In derision of the Albion naysayers

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
It is naive for anybody to think that we are not putting Bent in the shop window for him and and to a lesser extent Villa. He is obviously hoping to score goals for us and then sign a lucrative 3 year contract in the summer with somebody who offers more money then we can. Exactly the same as Bridge and Upson who although older were able to play in the defensive position at a later age than an effective striker reliant on speed off of the mark could. This will be his last top flight contract.

I don't mind that - it's a win-win situation. I don't think many people seriously think that we have any chance of signing him on a permanent deal but, in the short-term, he could disperse a lot of the doom and gloom that is currently around here.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Bridge was only 32, and thought he had three years ahead of him. He did use us to get a final career contract, which he got at Reading.

To be pedantic, he was just one month away from his 33rd birthday. He only played 12 games for Reading before retiring.

I was thinking in terms of the Albion, rather than a shop window for other clubs to buy.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
To be pedantic, he was just one month away from his 33rd birthday. He only played 12 games for Reading before retiring.

I was thinking in terms of the Albion, rather than a shop window for other clubs to buy.

Actually, he was 31 and was about to turn 32. That's a big difference from being 35! A simple Google search is the best way to avoid spouting misinformation :thumbsup:

I'm agreeing with you though. Bridge was towards the end of his career, and only came here advertise himself. He got exactly wgat he wanted, playing time + a good contract at another club. He was always going to go where the money is. Bent will do the same.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It is naive for anybody to think that we are not putting Bent in the shop window for him and and to a lesser extent Villa. He is obviously hoping to score goals for us and then sign a lucrative 3 year contract in the summer with somebody who offers more money then we can. Exactly the same as Bridge and Upson who although older were able to play in the defensive position at a later age than an effective striker reliant on speed off of the mark could. This will be his last top flight contract.

I don't mind that - it's a win-win situation. I don't think many people seriously think that we have any chance of signing him on a permanent deal but, in the short-term, he could disperse a lot of the doom and gloom that is currently around here.

The same for me it is the best that we could hope for with a player with his record it is a win win situation for us. He will join either a low ranking premier side, a newly promoted side or one aiming to ignore FFP and go for it. Coming from Tooting originally Palace seem a good fit if they avoid relegation and can sell GM to Reading.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

....and potentially buys us some time while we look for a permanent solution if it's not him.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I'm getting concerned that there is a growing number of people on this board who are turning into Andy Naylors - People who focus on a minority of people who are perennial moaners, who give them more attention than they deserve as if they make up a more significant number than they do.

There are actually very few people in this thread who have genuinely written him off, if you discount the "funny" character posts, the ernests of this world who make it their job to post the most contrary view they can. Yet there are now two articles in the proper writings thread and numerous posts in here trying to counter the idea that Bent is the worst signing ever as if there is actually a real discussion to be had.

The two main opinions are "great signing" and "I'm gonna wait and see the evidence before judging him either way". The "he's awful" group is a tiny insignificance that should really just be ignored.

I don't know why people give this minority the attention. I don't know if it's simply negative bias (an actual thing that says we remember or notice negativity more than positivity). I don't know if it's because of the state of our league position and results there is a worry being stifled by some fans who resent those that freely express it. I would suspect it might be a mixture of both.

Either that or Barber has been telling Bozza what to post again :)wink:)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here