Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Article: In derision of the Albion naysayers

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I give you one Adrian Colunga, who for the vast majority of his career, has been regarded as a La Liga quality striker.

I was thinking more of a target man type striker, but yes you are right. I actually like Colunga, tidy player who will shine in a passing to feet team.

Has Bent signed yet btw? This will be a massive let down if it all goes pear shaped like the supposed flurry of alledged signings pre season did.

super-seagulls

Soup! Why didn’t I get any Soup?
Feb 1, 2011
Probably working!
:lol::lol::lol:

Certain Brighton and Hove Albion fans have an infinite capacity to knock the club whatever they do; there is no ray of sunshine that cannot be explained away as a false dawn; no action that cannot be twisted into a desperate measure.

It would appear that the Seagulls, who have been struggling to score goals all season, are about to sign a Premier League striker; not just ANY Premier League striker, but the man who is 22nd on the list of all-time Premier League goalscorers. A man who has been transferred for more than ₤50million during his career. A goalscorer who has averaged better than a goal every 3 games at Premier League level. A player who is still only 30 years of age, who last played Premier League football TWO DAYS ago.

And yet still they moan: he's crap, he's useless, he won't fit the system, he's not worth the money, he can't be any good if he's signing for us, why hasn't someone else signed him?

You Mongers of Doom will find ways to hate WHATEVER the club do. Enjoy your wallowing, my morose comrades; whilst you stew in your self-imposed straitjackets of woe and despair, desperately hoping for individuals to fail in order to invoke your catalogue of told-you-so's, I choose to bathe in the rejuvenating energy of hope, positivity and expectation.

I choose to bathe with you. :thumbsup:
Metaphorically speaking of course.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
When we head to Derby next week i'll feel a lot more confident about us getting a result if Bent leads the line.

Six games leading up to the end of December. Three at home and three away. If we could reach 31 or so points that would be canny.

Fulham(w), Derby(d), Millwall(w), Wolves(w), Reading(w), Fulham(l). I live in hope :angel:

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
The title of this thread tells you everything.

If Albion fans stopped deriding each other (either way) and started deriding the opposition and the ref a bit more, then maybe the Amex would have an atmosphere, become intimidating and start punching its weight as a stadium.

Just a thought.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The title of this thread tells you everything.

If Albion fans stopped deriding each other (either way) and started deriding the opposition and the ref a bit more, then maybe the Amex would have an atmosphere, become intimidating and start punching its weight as a stadium.

Just a thought.

Not going to happen. As a friend of mine said, we're a bunch of Sussex weirdo's from country villages to a bohemian city / collection of towns. We are odd it must be said.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Not going to happen. As a friend of mine said, we're a bunch of Sussex weirdo's from country villages to a bohemian city / collection of towns. We are odd it must be said.

Just like concerts in Brighton. Bands have to try harder in Brighton as we are all so cool that they need to be something special before we get enthusiastic.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I was thinking more of a target man type striker, but yes you are right. I actually like Colunga, tidy player who will shine in a passing to feet team.

Has Bent signed yet btw? This will be a massive let down if it all goes pear shaped like the supposed flurry of alledged signings pre season did.

Colunga's movement is hugely impressive, and Bruno made a number of pertinent comments about him, and the situation with Albion, in The Argus yesterday (I think). And you're right, I'm not so sure if he'd be as effective at the front of the forward three.
RE Bent, I looked on The Seagulls website at about 9.30, and there was nothing there then, so we might all be *********** prematurely. I'm just pleased because I've been banging on for a while on here that the primary problem is with our strikers and, particularly, their finishing -- as opposed to all the identified woes/reasons for our start: Sami, his system, his personality, Burke, Bloom, Barber, etc, etc

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
Just like concerts in Brighton. Bands have to try harder in Brighton as we are all so cool that they need to be something special before we get enthusiastic.
Not sure either comment is totally accurate though I'm sure I find the naval gazing a bit of a cringe.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Is it because he refused to turn up for work but still expected the club to pay off the remainder of his contract and took them to court when they didn't?

When did he refuse to turn up for work? You are aware that the "turning up late for Palacegame" myth has been debunked as bollocks, right?

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
When did he refuse to turn up for work? You are aware that the "turning up late for Palacegame" myth has been debunked as bollocks, right?

It's all getting a bit fuzzy now but didn't all three of them (Gus, Tanno and Charlie) all refuse to do the retained list the day after the playoff dummy spitting interview?

Whatever the ins and outs of what actually went on behind the scenes and I accept the club may have been just as responsible as Gus for the breakdown, in retrospect, I will NEVER forgive or forget that kick in the teeth to all Albion fans when we were down.

Last edited:

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
You're pretty well on your own here, swimming against he tide and looking a MUG. You may even be right but you do need to wait until 15 mins into his Albion debut given the fact that we don't have a single Championship quality striker on the books at the moment :thumbsup:

Funny how I'm always right even when I'm the LOAN voice, I was FIRST to say the new signings were USELESS and signing a WASHED UP has been will do nothing but waste money and RUIN whatever team spirit is left

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Funny how I'm always right even when I'm the LOAN voice, I was FIRST to say the new signings were USELESS and signing a WASHED UP has been will do nothing but waste money and RUIN whatever team spirit is left

You also suggested Garcia could Foxtrot Oscar after a couple of games. The man performed miracles in getting us to the playoffs under the circumstances. You are more often wrong than right :thumbsup:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Why has the title of this thread changed ???

I stuffed up. I promoted [MENTION=1276]AZ Gull[/MENTION]'s note to an article on the content side of the site but there are a load of parameters and it's not entirely obvious what some of them do.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I stuffed up. I promoted @AZ Gull's note to an article on the content side of the site but there are a load of parameters and it's not entirely obvious what some of them do.

Top SCOOPING Bozza.

If you did sudokus, star signs, broken lawnmower classifieds and lonely hearts on here the Argus would cease to exist.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here

You, just about sums it up although when we are roused (e.g. Burnley - 9 men) it can get pretty noisy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here