Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Article: How the Premier League can save the world from VAR

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I had honestly forgotten about VAR until the West Ham game. I didn't go to Watford and, as I understand it, it wasn't used much anyway. So I plod along to the AMEX for West Ham with my Dad excited for a new style of football and we definitely get that. Then BAM!

VAR right up the backside.

It was used 3 times at Watford. Once on a penalty ruling after the ball struck Murrays hand from a free kick (we just about got away with that one - the only time VAR has saved us), there was a delay while they checked to see if our 3rd goal was offside, then another pause when Deeney and (I think) Duffey collapsed in a heap together for a possible red card for Deeney using an elbow (not that we had much of a clue at the time what they were reviewing).

Seamless...

(not)

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Imagine the great moments of supporting the Albion under VAR

McShane scores against Palace = Shall I go beserk on the terraces, ending up 7 rows in front of me? No, I’ll wait for 3 minutes of replays to see if McShane climbed on the defender.

Storer scores against Doncaster = Shall I lose self control to such an extent that in the delirium I forcibly kiss hard on the lips another (presumably heterosexual) man I’ve never seen before. No, but wait, there’s such a melee before the goal goes in that the ref has his finger on his ear. Need to make sure those blokes in a room in Stockley Park, have run the rule over this one thoroughly, before I allow myself a relieved clap

Reinelt at Hereford = Shall I conduct myself in the manner of a death row prisoner who has not only learned he’s not to be executed today, but is being awarded a mansion and the lifelong sexual servitude of the woman of his choice? No, but wait. Where was Robbie’s leg at the moment the original shot was struck? There may have been a toe sticking out? We’ll certainly need to run that one back and forward. Need to make sure we get this decision right. I’ll give my mate a firm handshake if a few minutes later it’s ruled onside.

SussexSeahawk

Jun 2, 2016
It was used 3 times at Watford. Once on a penalty ruling after the ball struck Murrays hand from a free kick (we just about got away with that one - the only time VAR has saved us), there was a delay while they checked to see if our 3rd goal was offside, then another pause when Deeney and (I think) Duffey collapsed in a heap together for a possible red card for Deeney using an elbow (not that we had much of a clue at the time what they were reviewing).

Seamless...

(not)

I think those all were seamless? Would prefer a VAR-less world but it seemed to work very smoothly in that game.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
I've said this a hundred times and nobody seems to care but I'll try one more time. As an armchair fan over in the States now VAR is ruining my enjoyment just as much as those in the ground.

You don't know whats going on in the ground? Neither do we, nor does the commentary team, or the analysts. Nobody knows. The commentary team is playing a guessing game when looking at replays with the rest of us and when a decision is given we STILL don't know what it was for until it eventually filters up 5 minutes later.

VAR is shit for everyone, plastics, people watching from afar, season ticket holders, everyone. It's broken.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I think those all were seamless? Would prefer a VAR-less world but it seemed to work very smoothly in that game.

Well, depends on your opinion of seamless. We all had to hold our breath on the Murray handball, a goal celebration was put on hold while the Big Screen checked if it was ok or not, and the game was further held up for a red card review that nobody around me knew what for.

Ultimately the decisions were correct (albeit the Murray one was highly debatable), but we are paying a high price indeed for all this forensic analysis. Particularly with goal reviews, it absolutely sucks the life out of the moment.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Seamless...

(not)

Actually, I retract that. VAR did not "save us" on that Murray handball claim, because the on-field ref didn't give the pen. VAR checked it, and stayed with the on-field refs decision. Another VAR would easily have given that IMO, but we got lucky. I guess because as far as is possible, they are trying not to overturn decisions unless it is an absolute howler.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
It beats me why clear-as-day decisions like our goal against Southampton have to be referred, anyone could see Burn on top of their keeper.
The offside rule needs ammending to encourage flowing play. I say there should be clear daylight between the offending attacker and the last outfield defender for it to be offside.
I guess that depends on FIFA though.

Lino's are now being instructed to keep their flag down if they're not sure on an offside call - keep it down, let play go on, let VAR sort it out. So this will only become more and more commonplace, because its given them a handy safety net. The same has happened with umpires in cricket judging a run-out. I've lost count of the number of times they've gone for a review, when its been BLATANTLY obvious that the batsmen was either in or out, sometimes by yards !

Fully agree on your offside as well. At the moment, VAR seems to be so heavily weighted in favour of the defence.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
To those who were pro var - what were you expecting if it wasn't this? Did you not think it through? With VAR the decision cannot be instantaneous - its impossible, so this is the price to pay. Enjoy.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Lino's are now being instructed to keep their flag down if they're not sure on an offside call - keep it down, let play go on, let VAR sort it out. So this will only become more and more commonplace, because its given them a handy safety net. The same has happened with umpires in cricket judging a run-out. I've lost count of the number of times they've gone for a review, when its been BLATANTLY obvious that the batsmen was either in or out, sometimes by yards !

Fully agree on your offside as well. At the moment, VAR seems to be so heavily weighted in favour of the defence.

Indeed and the one thing both sets of fans want to see is goals.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Lino's are now being instructed to keep their flag down if they're not sure on an offside call - keep it down, let play go on, let VAR sort it out.

If the linesman was not sure if Burn was offside for the Dunk "goal" then he seriously needs to visit an optometrist :lolol:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
If the linesman was not sure if Burn was offside for the Dunk "goal" then he seriously needs to visit an optometrist :lolol:

Well, thats where we are now. In the general chaos at the time, I assumed it had been binned off for a foul on their keeper, being as you only have to give them a dirty look for it to be a free kick.

Given that they don't have to flag for offside now, they never signal for a penalty to be given any more, they never spot encroachment at a pen, or whether a keeper has come off his line, I'm starting to wonder if there really is any point in having anyone running the line any more. Might as well just leave it all to VAR and have done with it.

gnjd_85

May 19, 2009
I actually think almost all the problems with VAR could be solved if they softened up the handball and offside rules a bit.

Goals should not be disallowed after the fact because someone was a hair, a shoulder, or a toe offside. There are various ways you could rework the law, but it is ridiculous as it is. Who saw the Neves goal for Wolves? An absolute worldie from 30 yards that gets reviewed for three minutes while people obsess over whether or not someone miiiiiiiiight have been 1cm offside in the build up. Thank god they decided he wasn't, but really, if there's three of you looking at slow motion replays and pauses with lines across the field and you can't see that he's offside after the first look- call it onside. Football is a much better game if attackers get the benefit of the doubt on offside.

I don't see why there should be a different standard for handballs for attackers than defenders. Basically, if the player could have reasonably avoided it, call it a handball. If it hits them through no fault of their own, no handball.

If a linesman thinks that an offside has taken place and the ball goes in- he should immediately raise his flag. In a situation like the Dunk goal this lets the crowd know straight away that there was 'probably' an offside- not really any different to the way it used to be, only this time there's a chance it could get overturned. Might actually add some suspense rather than the odd 'pause' that we have now while no one is going on.

I think if you get rid of those two things and add the third, you'll end up with much much much less of this 'waiting to celebrate stuff'. VAR ends up being something that is used mainly to cut down on clear dives, massively missed fouls, off the ball incidents, and the odd gigantic screw up on handballs and offsides. I like this and think there are some pretty big benefits.

The Burn goal may still have been a problem if you had these in place, but I think it would be a pretty rare exception.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
When people talk about automation and how many jobs will be lost I never envisaged that linesman or assistant referee would be one of the jobs under threat.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
To those who were pro var - what were you expecting if it wasn't this? Did you not think it through? With VAR the decision cannot be instantaneous - its impossible, so this is the price to pay. Enjoy.

Being pro-VAR doesn't mean we all actively campaigned for it. Merely that when it's inclusion was announced we went "Alright, let's give this a shot".

Turns out it's shit.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Well, thats where we are now. In the general chaos at the time, I assumed it had been binned off for a foul on their keeper, being as you only have to give them a dirty look for it to be a free kick.

Given that they don't have to flag for offside now, they never signal for a penalty to be given any more, they never spot encroachment at a pen, or whether a keeper has come off his line, I'm starting to wonder if there really is any point in having anyone running the line any more. Might as well just leave it all to VAR and have done with it.

I got disproportionately annoyed at the West lino on Saturday. Daft tit wasn't even flagging thrown ins until the ref had blown and pointed one way or the other.

Seem to remember shouting at him to "Make a decision you useless bald f**kwit!"

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
I actually think almost all the problems with VAR could be solved if they softened up the handball and offside rules a bit.

Goals should not be disallowed after the fact because someone was a hair, a shoulder, or a toe offside. There are various ways you could rework the law, but it is ridiculous as it is. Who saw the Neves goal for Wolves? An absolute worldie from 30 yards that gets reviewed for three minutes while people obsess over whether or not someone miiiiiiiiight have been 1cm offside in the build up. Thank god they decided he wasn't, but really, if there's three of you looking at slow motion replays and pauses with lines across the field and you can't see that he's offside after the first look- call it onside. Football is a much better game if attackers get the benefit of the doubt on offside.

I don't see why there should be a different standard for handballs for attackers than defenders. Basically, if the player could have reasonably avoided it, call it a handball. If it hits them through no fault of their own, no handball.

If a linesman thinks that an offside has taken place and the ball goes in- he should immediately raise his flag. In a situation like the Dunk goal this lets the crowd know straight away that there was 'probably' an offside- not really any different to the way it used to be, only this time there's a chance it could get overturned. Might actually add some suspense rather than the odd 'pause' that we have now while no one is going on.

I think if you get rid of those two things and add the third, you'll end up with much much much less of this 'waiting to celebrate stuff'. VAR ends up being something that is used mainly to cut down on clear dives, massively missed fouls, off the ball incidents, and the odd gigantic screw up on handballs and offsides. I like this and think there are some pretty big benefits.

The Burn goal may still have been a problem if you had these in place, but I think it would be a pretty rare exception.

All of this.

Of course the argument against a rule change will be that all levels of the game should have the same rules and if they don't have VAR then should they favour the attacker?

But, to stay in the vernacular... F**k that. Absolutely we should favour the attacking side. The balance to the new handball rules is that if a defender handles in the penalty area... It's a goal. End of. Same level of stupidity as the the new rule so why not?

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
VAR is the straw that broke the camels back for me, I wont be renewing my season ticket I have had for 30+ years next year ( I have said that before mind)

I have grown out of love for pro football over the last 5 or 6 years, obscene amount of money given to clubs which in turn goes straight down to greedy agents and players while the more honest lower league clubs go bust trying to keep up. ( I dont just mean top tier clubs even small village clubs are failing) Kick off times all over the place with no thought of fans that actually attend games.

I rarely watch or pay any interest to football apart from my team and VAR seems to have alienated me even further...in a word I think I have reached my mid 50s and I am quite frankly bored of Pro football.

Yeah, I said similar. I wasn't even AT the West Ham game and I was pissed off. (BBC text had even reported the goal). Like you I've been gradually falling out of love with pro football and VAR might well prove to be the final nail in the coffin for me.

And why do they bother with linesmen? They're now about as much use as those officials behind the goal in Champions' League matches.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I'm thinking the same way.

However, even if every season ticket holder in the country did the same, it wouldn't have any effect. As Ernest says, VAR is all about the armchair fan - clubs don't need supporters in the ground to make money,

If every Sky subscriber cancelled his or her subscription, however, that would be a different matter - all hell would break loose.

I'm a Sky subscriber and I would never do that. There is WAY more to Sky than football, indeed for several years now (part of my falling-out of love with football) I've never watched matches on Sky unless we're playing as I have zero interest in any other team.

Cricket, NFL and rugby league though ...

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I'm a Sky subscriber and I would never do that. There is WAY more to Sky than football, indeed for several years now (part of my falling-out of love with football) I've never watched matches on Sky unless we're playing as I have zero interest in any other team.

Cricket, NFL and rugby league though ...

Ditto. 99.99% of the reason I have Sky is cricket.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here