Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Arsenal’s Ben White

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
How many times did you actually see him play at Leeds - and live is better than TV? Bielsa encouraged him to start the attacking move, something I rarely saw him do for Brighton as he never really played in the middle of defence. Leeds realised his potential and Brighton have cashed in on it.

Brilliant innit. And seemingly Leeds can’t replicate the development they did for White with any of their own youth prospects [emoji41]

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Bissouma should have won comfortably last season, but there can be no doubt that Dunk remains one of our best players.

I’m not sure other than possibly Webster there were any others close to Bissouma

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad to see your assessment of Webster, but Biss was comfortably PotS, and no one was close to him. Webster was right up there for half a season, but his injury meant we lost him for c10 weeks, and then he wasn't back to his best post-injury.
I thought March and Lamptey were challenging before their injuries too. Dunk didn't have a great first half of the season, and picked up too many warranted reds, so he wasn't a contender for me. Veltman extremely solid and impressive, but I think that was more about him exceeding expectations than being anywhere near Biss' level.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
How many times did you actually see him play at Leeds - and live is better than TV? Bielsa encouraged him to start the attacking move, something I rarely saw him do for Brighton as he never really played in the middle of defence. Leeds realised his potential and Brighton have cashed in on it.
We all have so much to thank Leeds United for. When you signed him for a year, it was obvious he was crap but Leeds made him what he is today. We were on our knees and in dire straights, but thankfully we loaned a player we'd had on the books for several years to Leeds United and now we're saved. That's why he changed his surname by deed poll from Ben SouthCoast to Ben White and then didn't change it back. I'm guessing we will probably rip up our fan wall and replace it with a shrine to Leeds fans and Bielsa, such is the huge significance to this club.

I'd also like to thank not just Leeds United but their marvellous fans (who have represented this country so admirably down the years in so many ways) for the discovery of electricity, the invention of the internal combustion engine and even, dare I say it, the discovery of fire. Without Leeds United and their wonderful fans, it's doubtful whether any of these things would have happened.

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
We all have so much to thank Leeds United for. When you signed him for a year, it was obvious he was crap but Leeds made him what he is today. We were on our knees and in dire straights, but thankfully we loaned a player we'd had on the books for several years to Leeds United and now we're saved. That's why he changed his surname by deed poll from Ben SouthCoast to Ben White and then didn't change it back. I'm guessing we will probably rip up our fan wall and replace it with a shrine to Leeds fans and Bielsa, such is the huge significance to this club.

I'd also like to thank not just Leeds United but their marvellous fans (who have represented this country so admirably down the years in so many ways) for the discovery of electricity, the invention of the internal combustion engine and even, dare I say it, the discovery of fire. Without Leeds United and their wonderful fans, it's doubtful whether any of these things would have happened.

This is possibly my favourite quote from you young man

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

Or would have been if we even knew we had him on our books.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
There may have been a better move for Ben....who knows but that move would still be a possibility if he does well at Arsenal. Let's not kid ourselves a move to Arsenal is a dream for many aspiring footballers. What a career this young man is having, dumped by Southampton, saved at youth level by Brighton, nurtured and then sent on loan to every professional league in England and ending up at Premier league Brighton for a very successful season,Becomes an England player and is offered a dream move probably doubling his wages in the process. He is not only thankful to the Brighton staff for handling his development so well but to Newport, Peterborough and Leeds who all helped in his rise.
Good luck Ben you deserve all the success coming your way.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Or would have been if we even knew we had him on our books.
Luckily for us, Bielsa took time out from his busy schedule discovering penicillin and inventing the telephone and descended on our club, crouched down at the door of Lancing training complex and said "ees Ben Suthcust, ey LOFF 'im an eee will make you MEEELIONS if you let me borrow eeem."

Bielsa is almost as much a legend for us as he is for THE mighty Leeds. We should all remember that when Leeds come to the Amex to lose again. A hearty round of applause for Leeds and their fans in the FIFTIETH minute is in order

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
Luckily for us, Bielsa took time out from his busy schedule discovering penicillin and inventing the telephone and descended on our club, crouched down at the door of Lancing training complex and said "ees Ben Suthcust, ey LOFF 'im an eee will make you MEEELIONS if you let me borrow eeem."

Don't be f**kin' stupid... you mean his interpreter said...

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

He also scored and got assists, at Newport County & Peterborough before he played at Elland Road.
I bet you don’t even know the first time he appeared at Elland Road.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I did a poll back in May just to see the lie of the POTS land. Biss was streets ahead of anyone else (51%), with Veltman (28%) a comfortable distance ahead of Dunk (11%) and no one else really in the running (ion NSC at least). White didn't pick up a single one of the 71 votes from NSC users.

https://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?387586-Player-of-the-Season-First-round-(with-poll)

Exactly.

Veltman was great, but took a while to establish himself as he wasn’t getting selected.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Its probably wishful thinking that fans would have liked him to stay another year so he might have got a move above Arsenal, and his transfer fee being even higher.
Players always run the risk of a serious or even career ending injury.
You could say the same with Bissouma and he has less time on his contract, so I fear the worse for that move as well.
Brighton should have money to burn going forward though.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
England’s Ben White

Glad to see your assessment of Webster, but Biss was comfortably PotS, and no one was close to him. Webster was right up there for half a season, but his injury meant we lost him for c10 weeks, and then he wasn't back to his best post-injury.
I thought March and Lamptey were challenging before their injuries too. Dunk didn't have a great first half of the season, and picked up too many warranted reds, so he wasn't a contender for me. Veltman extremely solid and impressive, but I think that was more about him exceeding expectations than being anywhere near Biss' level.

Yes - I voted Biss, but really rated Webster, who was our best CB for a third of the season.

Agree completely re Lamptey and March, and when March got injured it really upset the team’s balance for a while.

I suspect next season all the above plus Sanchez will be in the mix……

Moder long shot?

Last edited:

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
To any Leeds fans that are able to read.
We did realise his potential that is why he stayed with us.
As with many players before him we loaned him out at various levels instead of straight into one of the toughest leagues in the world.
You were lucky enough to have him for 1 season at Bellend Road from Brighton as a LOAN.
He played well and played a major part in your promotion.
You should be grateful and thankful that we loaned him to you and congratulating us on flogging him for £50M but i wish he was staying.
Seriously, what is the matter with Leeds fans, bigheaded, loudmouth idiots, all of them.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
To any Leeds fans that are able to read.
We did realise his potential that is why he stayed with us.
As with many players before him we loaned him out at various levels instead of straight into one of the toughest leagues in the world.
You were lucky enough to have him for 1 season at Bellend Road from Brighton as a LOAN.
He played well and played a major part in your promotion.
You should be grateful and thankful that we loaned him to you and congratulating us on flogging him for £50M but i wish he was staying.
Seriously, what is the matter with Leeds fans, bigheaded, loudmouth idiots, all of them.
Oh come on! One of them even speaks (crap in) Latin!

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014

bitter lemon

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

You mean Bielsa played him out of position and the wrong way? Potter sorted this out and added £20m to his value.....

ttgg

Aug 6, 2020
Agreed. It is interesting that he went straight into the Leeds first team on arrival, before any influence that Beelzebub had on him. I think we should be charging Leeds for the influence White had on the development of the rest of their team.

5 weeks after he arrived actually but hey lets not let the facts get in the way of a good story

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here