Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Arsenal’s Ben White

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I think some people are over playing this third best centre back claim.

Defensively over the course of the season you can say it's true but he got better and better as the season went on. Particularly in the second half of the season I don't think there was much in it on the defensive front and of Dunk, Webster and himself he has the most potential and room to get even better. Plus there's what he brings to the team when we have the ball. He has a really good range of passing, is incredibly calm and composed and carries the ball out of defense as well as any centre back in the league. On top of which he bombs forward on over/underlaps.

If these rumours prove to be false and he is in fact our player next season he'll make a mockery of the 'third best' centre back claims. I think they're just a classic example of down playing once a player leaves/doesn't sign.

If the rumours are true and he is Arsenal bound I hope they don't turn him into the shitshow that pretty much all their defenders have become over the past decade.

I agree. White has been excellent this season. Dunk and Webster are far stronger in he air, but White has been at least as good in other defensive aspects as those 2 and is a better all-round footballer.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I’ve been around for too long to be truly surprised as to how many people are pretending that Ben wasn’t a very good player for us last season. Excellent on the ball, brilliant at reading the game so intercepts danger before having to make last ditch tackles more often than not. It’s funny how people remember that Foden ran away from him and scored but forgot earlier in the game that Foden was through on goal and Ben tracked him down and executed a perfectly timed tackle to deny a clear shooting opportunity.
I’ll miss him, and I suspect Potter will too since Ben had more playing minutes than any anyone else in the squad last season.
I think we’ll have to purchase a replacement.

Last edited:

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
Reminds a bit of when we sold Mark Lawrenson to Liverpool.
He could play in a back four or midfield and oozed class.
Just hope Ben has just a successful future career as Mark did.
Good luck to the lad.

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

SeagullCrow

May 9, 2008
No it hasn't. Money in the bank is also very imortant - and we've just (if the reports are true) got it in spades. Selling a player for £50M puts us in a different league altogether. Sixteen years ago, selling a player for £1.5M was a windfall that pretty much kept the wolf from the door. Round about that time Southampton, for example, were selling Theo Walcott to Arsenal and Wayne Bridge to Chelsea for £9.5M each. Since then, having broken into the 'big price sales' market, they've racked up another £380M in transfer fees. That's the way forward and the way we need to go, and that's why it hasn't weakened us.

That's how far we've had to come, that's the sort of gap we had to catch up - and we have. Bissouma, Sanchez, Lamptey - all on the runway and revving up, with succession planning in place. That's how it goes - and I'm loving it!

All of this is true, but that doesn't preclude [MENTION=17302]SeagullinExile[/MENTION] also being correct. Selling Ben White for £50 (+ add ons) was *definitely* a good bit of business for the club, but that doesn't mean that it hasn't also left us significantly weakened in that position. There is a reason that players like White command such a high transfer fee - they don't come along everyday.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I like White but let’s face it, he’s the sort of person who’s always looking over your shoulder for something more interesting. And for that, he can dance the merry dance away from the club that gave him a home and nurtured him through a very considered process and gave him freedom to express himself. He’s our third best CB and he knows it.

Brighton was never good enough for him. Veltman is a better player in the same position for £900k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Someone's bitter!!

Surely all players are doing that but only some are talented enough to actually move on. The exception is probably Dunk, playing for his home town club.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It makes us marginally weaker in defence at least in the short term and in terms of cover, but provides a great opportunity to strengthen the squad - sensible decision for the club all round, particularly if Ben really wants to go. Still think he could have done better than (current) Arsenal, but maybe he’s an integral part of their resurgence………..

ShandyH

Jan 22, 2010
Back in London
How do you know Ben White? Personally or professionally? Are you his dad, auntie or cousin? Pet Labrador, his gardener or piano tuner?

If he does leave, make sure you wish him all the best from us.

I’ll bear in mind that the last two seasons has seen him and his agent relentlessly publicising that he’s looking for the “next step” and it’s been incredibly distracting and boring.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
BBC stating Arse have reached an agreement in principle which is worth about 50m. I'll wait for the club to confirm. What has Owen said ?

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
Good bit of business. Move on now and sign some players in the area we actually have gaps in.

Thought he was Leeds through and through?

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
I'm very sad to see him go. Second best CB for me and has played multiple positions, has been superb in them all and he's only going to get better. His passing is fantastic, especially his through balls which I'd love to see with him playing alongside Lamptey for a whole season.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
The pain of all this will be that when he does become an England regular, Leeds fans will for ever be banging on about how bielsa "made him", and the suck ups in the media will refer to it too. £50m will make that palatable, but it will always be a bit of grit in the salad.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I’ve been around for too long to be truly surprised as to how many people are pretending that Ben wasn’t a very good player for us last season. Excellent on the ball, brilliant at reading the game so intercepts danger before having to make last ditch tackles more often than not. It’s funny how people remember that Foden ran away from him and scored but forgot earlier in the game that Foden was through on goal and Ben tracked him down and executed a perfectly timed tackle to deny a clear shooting opportunity.
I’ll miss him, and I suspect Potter will too since Ben had more playing minutes than any anyone else in the squad last season.
I think we’ll have to purchase a replacement.

Not Veltman then in your opinion.

I thought he was great, and it’s been nice to see the transition from U23s to the various loans.

He does have weaknesses, but his awareness is already up there with the best, and some of the sloppy mistakes will lessen as he continues to develop.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
The pain of all this will be that when he does become an England regular, Leeds fans will for ever be banging on about how bielsa "made him", and the suck ups in the media will refer to it too. £50m will make that palatable, but it will always be a bit of grit in the salad.

We know that's a load of low hanging bollocks though so take some solace in that.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Well, if it is done, then I hope Ostigard is as good as has been made out. Veltman will be playing RWB once Lamptey's hamstring inevitably pings again.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I think White is a generational talent, and Arsenal probably do too judging by how much they are putting out there. I think another season could have pushed his price to the van Dijk range.

We'll certainly miss him, his confidence on the ball and the way he would bring it out of defence was wonderful and improving all the time, Veltman can't hold a candle to him in that respect, I hope we get a great replacement.

Amazing how our 'third best CB' won fans player of the season :lolol:

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Not Veltman then in your opinion.

I thought he was great, and it’s been nice to see the transition from U23s to the various loans.

He does have weaknesses, but his awareness is already up there with the best, and some of the sloppy mistakes will lessen as he continues to develop.

I think Veltman is a terrific player, but I have concerns over Lamptey’s ability to remain fit and as far I can see Veltman is the only real cover we have at RB or RWB. If we purchase another right sided defender then Veltman can be the RCB but we’ll still need cover at centre back unless Ostigard is ready. Either way, if White is going we’ll need at least two new defenders as we’re already short at LB.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I think White is a generational talent, and Arsenal probably do too judging by how much they are putting out there. I think another season could have pushed his price to the van Dijk range.

We'll certainly miss him, his confidence on the ball and the way he would bring it out of defence was wonderful and improving all the time, Veltman can't hold a candle to him in that respect, I hope we get a great replacement.

Amazing how our 'third best CB' won fans player of the season :lolol:

Bissouma would have won player of the Season were it not for Leeds fans rigging the vote.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Well, if it is done, then I hope Ostigard is as good as has been made out. Veltman will be playing RWB once Lamptey's hamstring inevitably pings again.

I think Potter sees Karbo as more of a RWB than a LWB looking at where he has been deployed for the 1st team and U23s so far but I’m not sure the Pole will be ready for England 1st team football for a season or two.

I think White will be replaced by two players in the squad. My money is on Østigård & Băluță with Roberts just missing out unless we sign someone pretty quick.

I think Cucurella could do a job at RWB if we sign him & Lamptey along with Veltman are injured.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here