[Football] Arsenal’s Ben White

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Can a moderator update the thread title to the correct name please?

Nah, don't bother!

Somebody on SSN referring to him as 'Benjamin' now - Arteta having none of it and still calling him Ben. Probably best for getting a shout in the game - by the time somebody shouts, 'Man on, Benjamin' it's probably too late, the speed of the game these days.
Anyway, is a name change* a good idea? Andrew Cole was never quite such a goal machine as Andy Cole. Come to think of it, Shamir Fenelon never lived up to the promise Shamir Goodwin showed in the yoof teams either.
Whatever, freeing Ben White from the clutches of the Bielsa will always be a fond memory!

*Yes, I know most people called Ben were officially named Benjamin, and that may well be what his mum still calls him, but 'Ben White' is pretty much a brand now. Live with it, lad!

Last edited:

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Sky annoyed me during the build up. Showing the Arsenal players heading into the ground off the coach.
"Ben White plays against his former club".......F**K right off Sky

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Sky annoyed me during the build up. Showing the Arsenal players heading into the ground off the coach.

I was half asleep when I heard that and got confused with the other game, so I thought they were on about Southampton. I then realised it was Leeds and thought it was very odd to they were one of his 'former clubs'. But then I remembered that Bielsa taught him more in 30 seconds than in the rest of his career and realised my mistake :jester:

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Did I hear that he went off injured last night?

White went off cause he was feeling unwell, he'd had a bug over the last few days before the game but they felt he was alright to start. Ben then felt ill later in the match so the took him off. They hope he'll be ok to start at the weekend. Pablo Mari didn't play for them either as he was feeling unwell too.

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham

There was also a point in the build up when a 'pundit' referred to the superb season he had in the Championship. As if last season never happened.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England

Why would that annoy you? Leeds are one of his former clubs.

They would have said the same if they were playing Newport County.

Odd.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Odd.

For me at least, this is fast becoming the norm, around these parts.

"Why the frack is poster X upset about comment Y?"

A while ago we had a random bullshit thread (probably one of mine) which resulted in me thinking 'blimey this place is older than I thought'.

Yet there are now so many posts which make me think 'what a whinny little toddler'. :lol:

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009

Odd.

It was the snidey way that they insinuated that it was his only previous club.
A decent presenter would of said, "Ben White, who spent a season on loan at Leeds before being sold to Arsenal by Brighton"

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
It was the snidey way that they insinuated that it was his only previous club.
A decent presenter would of said, "Ben White, who spent a season on loan at Leeds before being sold to Arsenal by Brighton"

Wouldnt they need to mention his parents (Barry! and Carole) as well as Southampton, Newport and a few of his teachers as well?

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
For me at least, this is fast becoming the norm, around these parts.

"Why the frack is poster X upset about comment Y?"

A while ago we had a random bullshit thread (probably one of mine) which resulted in me thinking 'blimey this place is older than I thought'.

Yet there are now so many posts which make me think 'what a whinny little toddler'. :lol:

Maybe upset is the wrong description, butI thought it was derogatory towards our club.
Not a whinny little toddler, thank you, been attending since 1964, maybe a whinney old f***ker, but thats my business.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Maybe upset is the wrong description, butI thought it was derogatory towards our club.
Not a whinny little toddler, thank you, been attending since 1964, maybe a whinney old f***ker, but thats my business.

Yeah it's the whole taking offence on behalf of the club, I just don't understand.

White v The Leeds + Lazy commentator = No Albion.

Nobody watching the game is in the slightest bit interested about The Albion.
I'll hazard a guess Leeds didn't get a mention a couple of weeks ago when the Albion played Arsenal.

The team/club are in the best place ever so why look for 'derogatory' comments and made up offence?

For the first time in EPL history, the club isn't in the bottom 6 conversation, that's the win.

Everything else is just noise which I just find it all rather perplexing that it isn't easily drowned out.

But you're 100% right so you crack on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports