Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Arsenal vs United

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
I like Arsenal but if there is one side I love getting showed up from the big boys then that is Chelsea. The only club I truly dislike..... Although I think it's the Mourinho factor that does it.

Absolutely this. Thankfully his traditional third-season-syndrome has set in, I can see him limping on for maybe the rest of this year before leaving in the summer or early next season.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
eh? By that conclusion most should support Palace around here.And a host of other clubs nearer than Arsenal. You don't think most of the "plastics" go to The Emirates every game do you? I could never see the anti Man U hatred, ok liked them as a kid but the more arrogant fans around here seem to be supporters of London clubs who belittle local clubs.
Having ranted about Gooners all the ones in our office are top drawer and have a soft spot for us.

Fair play for seeing through the big club thing and supporting the Albion.

But that is somewhat my point, kids supporting big clubs is sort of understandable, annoying but when the Albion were in League 2 and playing at Gillingham/Withdrawn you can see why a young lad could be attracted to a glamour club. Attracted to Palace back then whilst in the Championship etc etc? Nah. Taken by your dad to see Arsenal/Spurs/West Ham/Chelsea on your birthday and a bond is started. When you get older you realise that although any of the above is not your local team they really are only an hour or so away and so you can go on occasion. Whereas groups of fans from down south travelling on a regular basis to clubs in the northwest have got to be a bit looney in my view, I have met a Liverpool season ticket holder who has no links whatsoever to the city except football! What kind of life is that spent on the M6?

Any way, problem sorted now in the Amex era :thumbsup:

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
I like Arsenal but if there is one side I love getting showed up from the big boys then that is Chelsea. The only club I truly dislike..... Although I think it's the Mourinho factor that does it.

Agree but not entirely the Mourinho factor.

I too have a soft spot for MU ( I'm now 68 ) so much more aware of history than some BUT, whereas I would love to see the Arse win the PL, they are far too inconsistent to my mind and therefore are unlikely ever to do so, AND, for that reason alone, I would prefer to see MU win rather than the Citeh middle eastern sponsored or Russian sponsored Chelski, and yeah I hear what you say re Glazers etc. but MU were never originally a US bankrolled outfit.

Anyone bothered should read up the Munich catastrophe !

PS! I have no connections with Manchester.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Agree but not entirely the Mourinho factor.

I too have a soft spot for MU ( I'm now 68 ) so much more aware of history than some BUT, whereas I would love to see the Arse win the PL, they are far too inconsistent to my mind and therefore are unlikely ever to do so, AND, for that reason alone, I would prefer to see MU win rather than the Citeh middle eastern sponsored or Russian sponsored Chelski, and yeah I hear what you say re Glazers etc. but MU were never originally a US bankrolled outfit.

Anyone bothered should read up the Munich catastrophe !

PS! I have no connections with Manchester.

I only hated Man Utd after 1983 for a few years and before that regularly watched them play because of relations up there even in the old division 2.
48 and 50 thousand against Fulham and Millwall I remember - no glory hunters - and Tommy Doc playing with two wingers when that had become unfashionable. It's their shirt wearing 'fans' outside of their area that get my goat but the club can't help being popular. Not that much to dislike about them now really......they generally play good football.
Put Costa and Mourinho in their set up and I could learn to dislike them I think.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Perfectly normal to love Best, Charlton and wonder at the arrogance of Cantona, while delighting when control freaks like LVG*come unstuck.
* Mourinho/Ferguson are acceptable substitutes.
Football are the winners when Sanchez, Walcott, Ozil and Cazorla play like that, and I bet most Man U fans appreciate that style rather than the functional rigid system LVG imposes. That is what will hurt most.

elninobonito

Whitehawk Born and Bred
May 27, 2011
Three Bridges station is always packed with Gooners going the wrong way when im waiting for the train to Brighton. Definitely more of them then Palace over the course of the last few years

Dec 29, 2011
Three Bridges station is always packed with Gooners going the wrong way when im waiting for the train to Brighton. Definitely more of them then Palace over the course of the last few years

Arsenal fans are EVERYWHERE on the south coast. Got a train from little hampton to London once, most seats taken by Worthing full of people in Arsenal tops. It's very true what people say about the south coast being arsenal territory.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I only hated Man Utd after 1983 for a few years and before that regularly watched them play because of relations up there even in the old division 2.
48 and 50 thousand against Fulham and Millwall I remember - no glory hunters - and Tommy Doc playing with two wingers when that had become unfashionable. It's their shirt wearing 'fans' outside of their area that get my goat but the club can't help being popular. Not that much to dislike about them now really......they generally play good football.
Put Costa and Mourinho in their set up and I could learn to dislike them I think.

As a Brighton fan, I'll never forget Sir Alex Ferguson wrote to the FA in support of our club, complaining that the fit and proper test wasn't worth the paper it was written on. I don't recall any other top flight manager giving a tupenny f*ck about little old Brighton and Hove Albion being made raped and made homeless. For that reason alone, I find it somewhat irrational when people say they detest Man Utd while not extending this feeling to other big clubs with considerably less class.

Leyton Gull

Banned
Sep 14, 2015
Arsenal fans are EVERYWHERE on the south coast. Got a train from little hampton to London once, most seats taken by Worthing full of people in Arsenal tops. It's very true what people say about the south coast being arsenal territory.

Back in the day, living in the South I found most people supported Man Utd, Spurs or Chelsea. Arsenal were in the 2nd tier along with West Ham, Leeds and Liverpool etc. Arguably there are a few more Arsenal fans and a few less Spurs fans on the south coast but I'd say, Man Utd and Chelsea are still ahead. Of course the likes of Arsenal have fans all over the country/world.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
If I am honest I had a soft spot for UTD from the days of Best etc. I started disliking them when I thought SAF got too big for himself (I didn't know about the letter to the F.A. TBH) I am delighted to see them lose under LVG though, especially after all the money they have spent.
If you want to see plastic fans though come over here.

I noticed since moving to Malta that 50% support Italian teams and 50% English,of those 50% English nearly all are Man U fans because they win a lot. Liverpool are the next most supported due to the 70s & 80s followed by Arsenal. Have recently started seeing a few Chelsea Man City car stickers too. (Mine is still the only Seagulls one!)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here