Date: Sunday 17th December 2023
Kick-off: 14:00 GMT
Referee: Tim Robinson
Assistants: Edward Smart, Nick Greenhaigh
Fourth Official: Darren Bond
VAR: Paul Tierney
Additional VAR: Neil Davies

TEAM NEWS

Arsenal forward Gabriel Martinelli returns after missing Tuesday's draw at PSV Eindhoven because of illness.

Emile Smith Rowe made his comeback from injury as a late substitute in midweek but Mohamed Elneny is ruled out after straining a hamstring in Eindhoven.

Brighton boss Roberto de Zerbi may freshen up his side following Thursday's win against Marseille.

Evan Ferguson, Bart Verbruggen and Carlos Baleba are among those who could return to the starting line-up.

Ansu Fati, Pervis Estupinan, Tariq Lamptey, Julio Enciso and Solly March remain sidelined.

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

• Brighton have won five and lost four of their 12 Premier League matches against Arsenal. Liverpool and Manchester United are the only other teams to have more wins than defeats versus the Gunners in the division.
  • Albion have won each of their past three visits to the Emirates Stadium, including a 3-1 victory in the EFL Cup last season.
Arsenal
  • The Gunners are unbeaten in 12 home games in all competitions since losing 3-0 to Brighton in May (W10, D2).
  • They have dropped points in four of their six league matches this season against teams in the top half of the table prior to the weekend (W2, D2, L2).
  • Mikel Arteta's side have kept six clean sheets in their previous 32 top-flight home fixtures.
  • They have been awarded six penalties in their opening 16 Premier League matches, a joint high with Chelsea.
  • Bukayo Saka has been directly involved in 13 goals in his last 11 appearances at the Emirates Stadium in all competitions, scoring eight and providing five assists.
Albion
  • The Seagulls took 15 points from a possible 18 in their opening six league games this season but have since claimed just 11 points from a possible 30.
  • They have dropped points in four of their five league fixtures this season that have directly followed a Europa League match (W1, D3, L1).
  • Albion have scored in each of their past 32 top-flight games, the longest streak in their league history.
  • They have also gone 20 league matches without keeping a clean sheet, one short of an outright club record.
  • Roberto De Zerbi can become the third manager to win his first two Premier League games away to Arsenal, emulating Ron Atkinson with Aston Villa (1992-93 and 1993-94) and Guus Hiddink for Chelsea (2008-09 and 2015-16).
  • Pascal Gross has been involved in five goals in his last four Premier League appearances, scoring one and assisting four.

Roberto De Zerbi's Arsenal Press Conference

Last edited:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
arsenal-png.164687
albion-png.164686

Arsenal v Albion

PREMIER LEAGUE

Venue:
Emirates Stadium
Date: Sunday 17th December 2023
Kick-off: 14:00 GMT
Referee: Tim Robinson
Assistants: Edward Smart, Nick Greenhaigh
Fourth Official: Darren Bond
VAR: Paul Tierney
Additional VAR: Neil Davies

TEAM NEWS

Arsenal forward Gabriel Martinelli returns after missing Tuesday's draw at PSV Eindhoven because of illness.

Emile Smith Rowe made his comeback from injury as a late substitute in midweek but Mohamed Elneny is ruled out after straining a hamstring in Eindhoven.

Brighton boss Roberto de Zerbi may freshen up his side following Thursday's win against Marseille.

Evan Ferguson, Bart Verbruggen and Carlos Baleba are among those who could return to the starting line-up.

Ansu Fati, Pervis Estupinan, Tariq Lamptey, Julio Enciso and Solly March remain sidelined.

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

• Brighton have won five and lost four of their 12 Premier League matches against Arsenal. Liverpool and Manchester United are the only other teams to have more wins than defeats versus the Gunners in the division.
  • Albion have won each of their past three visits to the Emirates Stadium, including a 3-1 victory in the EFL Cup last season.
Arsenal
  • The Gunners are unbeaten in 12 home games in all competitions since losing 3-0 to Brighton in May (W10, D2).
  • They have dropped points in four of their six league matches this season against teams in the top half of the table prior to the weekend (W2, D2, L2).
  • Mikel Arteta's side have kept six clean sheets in their previous 32 top-flight home fixtures.
  • They have been awarded six penalties in their opening 16 Premier League matches, a joint high with Chelsea.
  • Bukayo Saka has been directly involved in 13 goals in his last 11 appearances at the Emirates Stadium in all competitions, scoring eight and providing five assists.
Albion
  • The Seagulls took 15 points from a possible 18 in their opening six league games this season but have since claimed just 11 points from a possible 30.
  • They have dropped points in four of their five league fixtures this season that have directly followed a Europa League match (W1, D3, L1).
  • Albion have scored in each of their past 32 top-flight games, the longest streak in their league history.
  • They have also gone 20 league matches without keeping a clean sheet, one short of an outright club record.
  • Roberto De Zerbi can become the third manager to win his first two Premier League games away to Arsenal, emulating Ron Atkinson with Aston Villa (1992-93 and 1993-94) and Guus Hiddink for Chelsea (2008-09 and 2015-16).
  • Pascal Gross has been involved in five goals in his last four Premier League appearances, scoring one and assisting four.

Roberto De Zerbi's Arsenal Press Conference

Hooray - I'm still awake and have made it to be the first one to give it a 'like'!

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Swegulls

Aug 29, 2023
Stockholm
"
"
I'm too tired to check for myself, but how many penalties have we got this season in PL? With the type of players we got, and the style of play, it's kind of strange that we haven't got loads of them (I know we've got a whole bunch in the EL but ...). Surely quick and tricky players like Adingra, Mitoma, Pedro, Fati should result in a few more (I'm not saying they should dive).

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Missing this one. I’ve done so much football recently and will really miss being at the game, but budget and Mrs GB’s chiding tone dictates that I stay here, do Christmas prep, make a roast and walk the dog. Sunday stuff. Booo.

I was at the 0-3 spanking last season but also missed us winning there on the league cup so hopefully not a Jonah. Radio and / or small water for me.

Have fun everyone going. They’re exactly the sort of team who’ll be open enough for our tactics to work best, but a lot will come down to how much we have left in the tank and how much we’re saving up for Thursday.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
What Guinness Boy said ....”Have fun everyone going. They’re exactly the sort of team who’ll be open enough for our tactics to work best, but a lot will come down to how much we have left in the tank and how much we’re saving up for Thursday.”
Arsenal away is a big ask after the efforts last Thursday but we struggle with the poor teams so maybe we’ll do better with the Gooners. Whatever, :albion2:

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
On a serious note about our prospects, much like I said before a couple of games lately (after our win at Forest and European exploits) - I think a big part isn’t just the physical tiredness but mental energy we are putting in.

Thursday was a superhuman effort not just in terms of performance and physical workrate, but mental focus and keeping going to grab that excellent late winner.

RDZ said before the game he wanted fans to stay until the end - he knew it would very likely be settled late and we needed every advantage to give us that extra 1% and turn a draw into a win.

I think with Thursday in mind, and with a combination of the amount of minutes we’re playing, the injury list and the aforementioned mental jadedness we might be taken apart today.

I’ve gone for 3-0 Arsenal - but even if we are outplayed and lose comfortably (to an excellent team) I am ready to shrug and move on.

This is the ultimate free hit as far as I’m concerned. No injuries or suspensions and anything else to me is a bonus.

Appreciate this view will not be everyone’s cup of tea, but Arsenal are an excellent side and we might really struggle today.

Littlemo

Aug 25, 2022
On a serious note about our prospects, much like I said before a couple of games lately (after our win at Forest and European exploits) - I think a big part isn’t just the physical tiredness but mental energy we are putting in.

Thursday was a superhuman effort not just in terms of performance and physical workrate, but mental focus and keeping going to grab that excellent late winner.

RDZ said before the game he wanted fans to stay until the end - he knew it would very likely be settled late and we needed every advantage to give us that extra 1% and turn a draw into a win.

I think with Thursday in mind, and with a combination of the amount of minutes we’re playing, the injury list and the aforementioned mental jadedness we might be taken apart today.

I’ve gone for 3-0 Arsenal - but even if we are outplayed and lose comfortably (to an excellent team) I am ready to shrug and move on.

This is the ultimate free hit as far as I’m concerned. No injuries or suspensions and anything else to me is a bonus.

Appreciate this view will not be everyone’s cup of tea, but Arsenal are an excellent side and we might really struggle today.
I totally agree with you, I can see this being a difficult game for us and maybe a bit of a beating.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
We are capable of getting something but sandwiched between Marseille and Palace, I can see this being a bit of a struggle.

(Awaits RDZ to prove I know nothing :wink:)

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
What day is it? It's Sunday there must be a game somewhere.
I've only just caught up with the sleep after Thursday. If we as fans are shattered just think how the players must be.
Making use of my mates electric car (no ULEZ) and Bozzas JustPark.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports