Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

arsenal v bayern munich

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I tend to agree, unless it's a dangerous tackle in the box, a penalty and yellow card seems to cover it.

Fouling outside the box and denying a goal scoring opportunity is worth a sending off.

Sin bin. 10 mins off the pitch for denying a goal scoring opportunity resulting in a penalty. Football has too few methods of punishment. Telling off - yellow card - red card: just aren't enough for the modern game.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Reckon he might get told off for this!

000.png

Open to interpretation of course

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
Robben is still class. Looked like an old man at Chelsea years ago but has done the business for Bayern for years. He must be one player they regret letting go (along with Bridcutt and Ince of course!)

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Sin bin. 10 mins off the pitch for denying a goal scoring opportunity resulting in a penalty. Football has too few methods of punishment. Telling off - yellow card - red card: just aren't enough for the modern game.

I can't see sin bins being introduced, it has to be a world wide introduction, it would change the game dramatically and make it even harder for the refs. I can see the players surrounding the ref, shouting "if it's not a card ref, it has to be the sin bin"

Could see cards being given out retrospectively though, including cheating the ref.

But I think if it's a 50/50 ball with the goal keeper the most it should be is a yellow and a penalty.

D

Deleted member 18477

What an awful 2nd half just like I predicted. Only people enjoying this are bayern and spurs fans. Dire game now.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
What an awful 2nd half just like I predicted. Only people enjoying this are bayern and spurs fans. Dire game now.

Cough

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
I can't see sin bins being introduced, it has to be a world wide introduction, it would change the game dramatically and make it even harder for the refs. I can see the players surrounding the ref, shouting "if it's not a card ref, it has to be the sin bin"

Could see cards being given out retrospectively though, including cheating the ref.

But I think if it's a 50/50 ball with the goal keeper the most it should be is a yellow and a penalty.

Alternatively, how about teams being allowed to substitute players sent off so that only the offender is punished (with a ban etc) rather than the rest of the team, the fans and the TV viewers (in certain cases) It is supposed to be entertainment and, as several posters have agreed, this game has been wrecked a la last night at the Etihad.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Can't wait to get his cards out this ref. Ruined the game totally, if Arsenal keep it at 0-1 that's not a bad result in the circumstances.

Edit: Damn 2-0

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I'm fed up with watching games ruined by sendings off. Why don't they change the stupid rule. Isn't a penalty award enough punishment ?

What stupid rule? The one that says denying a clear goal scoring opportunity is a red card, or the one that says a challenge using (in the referee's opinion) excessive force is a red card? No. Because a penalty doesn't punish the wrong doing, it simply gives the wronged team back what was illegally taken from them. If I hack you down when you're about to shoot, how am I being punished when the referee gives you a shot? I'm not. Penalties give 75% chance of scoring. Worst case scenario from me denying you an obvious goal scoring opportunity is your chance of scoring stays pretty much the same, best case scenario you go from a certain goal, to a miss/save.

When those are the range of outcomes, what's to stop me hacking you down when you're through on goal, if I'm know I'm not going to get sent off? If people are rightly sent off (i.e. denying clear goal scoring opportunities, excessive force multiple cautionable offences), criticise them for "ruining the contest" by breaking the laws of the game, don't blame the punishment.

The problem with this case isn't that people can get sent off when a penalty is given, but that the ref saw that challenge as either excessive force, or a clear goal scoring opportunity (I think the ball had gone and would have been out of play before Robben found his feet).

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Similar to Barcelona last night dominant away team, red card that changed game and goal in last 5min effectively settling the tie

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
What stupid rule? The one that says denying a clear goal scoring opportunity is a red card, or the one that says a challenge using (in the referee's opinion) excessive force is a red card? No. Because a penalty doesn't punish the wrong doing, it simply gives the wronged team back what was illegally taken from them. If I hack you down when you're about to shoot, how am I being punished when the referee gives you a shot? I'm not. Penalties give 75% chance of scoring. Worst case scenario from me denying you an obvious goal scoring opportunity is your chance of scoring stays pretty much the same, best case scenario you go from a certain goal, to a miss/save.

When those are the range of outcomes, what's to stop me hacking you down when you're through on goal, if I'm know I'm not going to get sent off? If people are rightly sent off (i.e. denying clear goal scoring opportunities, excessive force multiple cautionable offences), criticise them for "ruining the contest" by breaking the laws of the game, don't blame the punishment.

The problem with this case isn't that people can get sent off when a penalty is given, but that the ref saw that challenge as either excessive force, or a clear goal scoring opportunity (I think the ball had gone and would have been out of play before Robben found his feet).

A well argued point, but see my later post about football matches being public entertainment as well.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Really? We've seen some dramatic rule changes over the years, offside, back passes, substitutes and substitutions. The only thing that hasn't evolved with the game and the rules is the punishment refs can use on the pitch.

Players surround referee's already, why would it be any different? Why would a player asking for a sin bin be any different to one asking for a yellow card or a red card? The ref would have the option of players showing dissent to send them off for 10mins to cool down. If anything it could stop a lot of the aggro refs deal with, as at the moment they've got nothing after a yellow card other than dramatically effecting the game.

I think it's only a matter of time to be honest. It was 22 years ago the back pass rule came in as a dramatic change, the game just adapts. Same as when subs were first introduced.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here