Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Arsenal kit today

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Is any campaign to raise money for local charities "virtue signalling" these days then ?

Reminds of the reaction to the Colston statue verdict where anything you disagree with, is defined as offending your politics.

Not everything is political...

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I didn't want or anticipate a reaction from a few like this. I was trying to highlight a response to a serious issue.

Sorry, I personally for one currently, don't want to be embroiled in a binfest thread, if needed be, MODS close it now.

It really shouldn't be the case on this board that anything gets demoted to the Bear Pit by those who can only define their politics by what they are against, rather than what they are for.

If you don't like a campaign raising money for charities fighting knife crime, that's fine - but keep it to yourself.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
No, it’s understandable. Football used to start at 3pm. Now, if it does, we’ve got to do the round of applause for key workers, take a knee for anti racism, a minute silence for Remembrance (once for soldiers, another for fans), then possibly another minute for someone connected to the club, then another round applause for someone famous in football not remotely connected to the club, then perhaps another in unusual circumstances for statespersons, not forgetting rainbow armbands, flags and laces with accompanying announcements…Anyway, football virtue signalling/ support for, depending on your view, at every game, is here to stay, it’s become normalised. But you could forgive people turning up at 3.05-3.10ish if they’re only interested in watching a game.

On the plus side this campaign looks like it’s over before it began.

Given the performance of their team today, it’s actually understandable that some of their fans in London might feel a bit stabby over the next couple of days. Best avoid Islington for the next 48 hours.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
It really shouldn't be the case on this board that anything gets demoted to the Bear Pit by those who can only define their politics by what they are against, rather than what they are for.

If you don't like a campaign raising money for charities fighting knife crime, that's fine - but keep it to yourself.

I totally agree

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Respect to Arsenal in making the one-off shirt their official 2021-22 FA Cup shirt.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
No, it’s understandable. Football used to start at 3pm. Now, if it does, we’ve got to do the round of applause for key workers, take a knee for anti racism, a minute silence for Remembrance (once for soldiers, another for fans), then possibly another minute for someone connected to the club, then another round applause for someone famous in football not remotely connected to the club, then perhaps another in unusual circumstances for statespersons, not forgetting rainbow armbands, flags and laces with accompanying announcements…Anyway, football virtue signalling/ support for, depending on your view, at every game, is here to stay, it’s become normalised. But you could forgive people turning up at 3.05-3.10ish if they’re only interested in watching a game.

What ridiculous hyperbole. Games start at their designated kick off time every single week in every single division. You are perfectly welcome to stay in the bar until then or not turn your TV on until the exact hour if remembering servicemen or trying to stop teenagers killing each other with knives or making the game more inclusive really offends your sensitive brain so much.

Football is high profile, big business now. Back when everyone was kicking the shit out of each other on the terraces and young men were dying in Brussels and Sheffield it was music concerts that carried much of this burden instead, because music was popular and football wasn't. And I can still hear the Gammons of the day foaming at the mouth. "How dare these people with their poetic lyrics and their massive following talk about politics. Just play a middle C". But now football has a MASSIVE global audience, It comes with the territory.

Which of the causes you talk of are you against? Is it just the knee or is it poppies and preventing knife crime too?

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003

We should have a minute's silence at the next match for all the SAD SACKS on here who criticise charitable causes, education inititives, commemorations etc at football.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Too many statements being made in football these days. Looks good but won't sell many in club shop especially to us fat blokes....

It isn't for general sale.

I thought the initiative was impressive. The reciprocal of Arsenal's performance, in fact.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
We should have a minute's silence at the next match for all the SAD SACKS on here who criticise charitable causes, education inititives, commemorations etc at football.

This.

FFS.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
What ridiculous hyperbole. Games start at their designated kick off time every single week in every single division. You are perfectly welcome to stay in the bar until then or not turn your TV on until the exact hour if remembering servicemen or trying to stop teenagers killing each other with knives or making the game more inclusive really offends your sensitive brain so much.

Football is high profile, big business now. Back when everyone was kicking the shit out of each other on the terraces and young men were dying in Brussels and Sheffield it was music concerts that carried much of this burden instead, because music was popular and football wasn't. And I can still hear the Gammons of the day foaming at the mouth. "How dare these people with their poetic lyrics and their massive following talk about politics. Just play a middle C". But now football has a MASSIVE global audience, It comes with the territory.

Which of the causes you talk of are you against? Is it just the knee or is it poppies and preventing knife crime too?

Also this.

It will come as no surprise that you were replying to a GAMMON that I have on ignore.

My heartfelt commiserations to you and the other moderators, who cannot avoid having to read all the GAMMONY shit.

Razzoo

Sep 11, 2011
N. Yorkshire
Even if it was for sale they wouldn't shift many after that. Also it's a bit spurs like. Good on them for caring and doing though.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Even if it was for sale they wouldn't shift many after that. Also it's a bit spurs like. Good on them for caring and doing though.

Each shirt is being donated to people involved in young peoples projects. Volunteers trying to help kids when 450 youth centres have been closed down in the last ten years.

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)

Completely agree with this. Unfortunately some on here appear to make statements to create conjecture and get people reacting to their inane posts, especially those sat in their bedroom in Scandinavia!

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Completely agree with this. Unfortunately some on here appear to make statements to create conjecture and get people reacting to their inane posts, especially those sat in their bedroom in Scandinavia!
It's sad that they are so desperate for feedback, they will settle for the inevitably negative.

Sent from my SM-A526B using Tapatalk

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

I’m not against any thank you very much, it is possible to give balance by expressing other peoples point of view, inc a bit of exaggeration to make a point, without sharing them. You’ve jumped to an unfair conclusion so take your Gammon and put some pineapple on it.

Certainly football is seen as a vehicle for change for pretty much everything, it’s not just in the PL this occurs. My only gripe is a fair bit of hypocrisy when it comes to football and campaigning eg developing womens game when FIFA had Sepp Blatter at the helm for 20 years. It’s sometimes like listening to Tory policy on tackling poverty. But there is also something about millionaires preaching to others about anything that can be nauseating. Maybe if Arsenal donated £2 from Ben Whites transfer to keep some Youth centres open in their back yard (shocking stat of 750+ closures nationwide was revealed), that sort of thing. I don’t know enough about what they already do, but I do know from lots of campaigning and charity work myself that there’s loads of hypocrisy, in fact I was once privy to some sensitive stuff involving a professional football club that was so. Anyway, let’s hope Elba and Wrighty do make an impact with their campaign because kids murdering kids is about as sick as a society can get.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Funny how a plain kit can be so stunning. If it stops one death it is worth it, well done Arsenal.

Come on Forest you can beat this lot

People being stabbed & killed in London in what was even higher numbers for teenagers than 2020. It’s like a war zone out there . Especially parts of south London .

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Maybe if Arsenal donated £2 from Ben Whites transfer to keep some Youth centres open in their back yard (shocking stat of 750+ closures nationwide was revealed)

Couple of things.

1: I don’t think Arsenal received anything from the sale of Ben White as they were the buyer in the transaction.
2: The country voted in the party that decided to close down youth centres, to expect the football industry to make up the shortfall is harsh.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here