Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Arsenal disallowed goal

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
You say play to the whistle but anyone who has played football knows if you see the linesman flag go up you stop, and even if you don’t stop completely you’d hesitate ever so slightly and then remember you need to keep going which is unfair.

Goals scored when the linesman puts his flag up simply shouldn’t be allowed, the linesman shouldn’t be putting their flags up unless they are absolutely certain but then the problem arises that I’ve noticed since VAR came in, you have players marginally offside winning a corner but the linesman doesn’t flag because it’s tight but the corner gains the team an advantage they could potentially score from.

It's why I find the clause of 'gaining an advantage' so frustrating. They apply it to the individual, not the team. But if attacker A is in a clear offside position, so the defence step up and stop to make it clear, then attacker B runs through from an onside position, he gets an advantage in the form of a headstart because player A was offside.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
He was offside but it was tight.

The law needs overhauling anyway because nobody really wants to see those disallowed (unless it's against your team). I'm too tired to think about precise wording but I'd rather it favoured the attacking side.

Clearly offside - called by the assistant, confirmed by VAR quickly, confirmed by replays subsequently. Compared to many of the tight decisions over this season it was even close.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Irrespective of the offside or not, we definitely got away with it.

The ball should have been played forward quicker, we were completely done, yet more incompetence from Arsenal.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Irrespective of the offside or not, we definitely got away with it.

The ball should have been played forward quicker, we were completely done, yet more incompetence from Arsenal.

Surely you could say that in any game, the amount of time’s you see a through ball played too late and the striker is just offside I would imagine greatly outnumbers the amount of times a through ball is timed perfectly.

But yeah, the ball should definitely have been played earlier. Why Aubamyeng gets stuck out on the wing I don’t know, total waste of a player in my opinion hes good as an inside forward type but he was so far wide most of the match on Saturday that he didn’t cause us that many issues, I’d much prefer to face Lacazette than Aubamyeng through the middle.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Surely you could say that in any game, the amount of time’s you see a through ball played too late and the striker is just offside I would imagine greatly outnumbers the amount of times a through ball is timed perfectly.

But yeah, the ball should definitely have been played earlier. Why Aubamyeng gets stuck out on the wing I don’t know, total waste of a player in my opinion hes good as an inside forward type but he was so far wide most of the match on Saturday that he didn’t cause us that many issues, I’d much prefer to face Lacazette than Aubamyeng through the middle.

Oh deffo but it's not often I can say 'I could have done better'.
All the fella had to do was boot the ball forward, but he waited, looked up, waited then passed.

The trap was set long before the ball reached the midfielder and still he waited,

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
I see on Club highlights the line was drawn. Interesting if somebody could put that frame on here

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
I definitely recall seeing the line drawn somewhere, thought it was on the live coverage tbh. I was surprised how quickly it was done and it seems that the PL have used their time off to make some decent tweeks to VAR. All decisions over the weekend were made within seconds rather than minutes.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
Nothing

Once the whistle is blown the ball is dead.

Not true - VAR would have overruled and the goal would have been given. There was a case earlier in the season where that happened despite everyone having stopped except the attacking player.

Edit - actually, not sure about that now. In that case, the linesman had flagged but maybe the ref didn't blow his whistle.

Last edited:

WilburySeagull

Sep 2, 2017
Hove
Not true - VAR would have overruled and the goal would have been given. There was a case earlier in the season where that happened despite everyone having stopped except the attacking player.

Edit - actually, not sure about that now. In that case, the linesman had flagged but maybe the ref didn't blow his whistle.
Your edit is correct. Assistant ref flagged but no whistle. VAR cant give a goal if play was stopped by ref prior to ball going into net.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton

He put whistle to his mouth but didn’t blow.

Soon as the whistle is blown the ball is dead and VAR reviews can’t change that.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Not just because it went for us, but I congratulate the lino for having the balls to make a tight decision and calling it spot on.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Mike Dean whistled prematurely yesterday on the match he was reffing. There was no chance he could have accurately judged whether the attacking player was offside from his position but yet he blew as soon as the flag went up. In the current VAR situation, that was a very poor decision.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I thought that under VAR rules the lino wasn't supposed to wave his flag about unless or until the goal was scored?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I thought that under VAR rules the lino wasn't supposed to wave his flag about unless or until the goal was scored?

https://www.premierleague.com/news/1297403

Where there is a clear and obvious goalscoring opportunity and the assistant referee is not certain whether the attacker actively involved is in an offside position, the assistant should delay indicating the offence until the phase of play has concluded.

Where there is a clear and obvious goalscoring opportunity and the assistant referee is certain the attacker actively involved is in an offside position, then the assistant should indicate the offence immediately.

In both of these situations the referee should wait to blow the whistle until the immediate phase of play has ended.

Factual offside decisions will be based on the evidence provided by fully calibrated offside lines.

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
Lino did an amazing job on that, although I was more heart in mouth after Maupay scored, the commentators going on about us having already won when Arsenal were bearing down on our goal.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Funny rule ref not blowing whistle when lino flags. Players shouldnt take any notice but they do. Interesting to ask Ryan if he gave 100% . May be wrong but looked a half hearted attempt at a save to me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here