Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Arrogant rivals during our skint years (but who's laughing now?)

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Portsmouth won an FA Cup with money they couldn't afford.
For an historical big club, they have been languishing in the lower leagues for a long time now.
I'm not sure they are a historical big club. They won the league twice right? but there are quite a few other clubs that did the same or better. Then they were out of the top division until this century.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
A personal one for me is Leicester City. My work moved me to Leicester in the 90s when they were flying high with Emile Heskey et al... we were , nowhere. For years I endured the condescending smiles and sneering comments, especially when we both hit the Championship and we generally lost up there.
Now, I compare our league positions with a quiet smile .
I believe Rodgers will get them back up the League again, but for now I would love to talk football with those guys again ...

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I can see Bozza. Albion Dan. Harry’s Wilson’s Tackle. Jim of the West. Bwian. Any others? What a night.
I think I can see @Soul Finger

I was just to the left and front of the bottom left corner of that pic. Probably a good thing for NSC's eyes.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Fond memories of playing Charlton in the first amex season.
The old bill were out in massive force with full riot gear on, from the looks on most of their faces all having been briefed to expect Millwall Chelsea in the 80s. Made a funny background to two sets of fans generally getting on famously.
Yup. They even had the horses out for that one. Still baffles me today why PC Daz wet himself; never been any real animosity or trouble between the two sets of fans. Even had an ok reception in their end when they had to play at the shithole. (Apart from one dodgy moment when we scored at the far end and I forgot where I was!!)

They were well represented at Fans United and I thoroughly enjoyed my day supporting their fans at the Roland "ball and balloon" protest.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yup. They even had the horses out for that one. Still baffles me today why PC Daz wet himself; never been any real animosity or trouble between the two sets of fans. Even had an ok reception in their end when they had to play at the shithole. (Apart from one dodgy moment when we scored at the far end and I forgot where I was!!)

They were well represented at Fans United and I thoroughly enjoyed my day supporting their fans at the Roland "ball and balloon" protest.
Wrexham and Charlton both had sly land grab and/or cntish owners, years after we did. It felt like their Archer time, it was natural to support their true supporters.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Our Chelsea match highlights on YouTube are closing in on 1m views. 928,000 currently, admittedly 13,201 mine. Who’d have thunk it back in the day?

More randomly, Liam Bridcutt still has him in BHA kit as his Wikipedia photo, never changed it.

Even more randomly, on the BBC Liverpool match thread the other evening, co-commentator Glenn Murray’s tagline was ‘Former Crystal Palace striker’. No mention of us. I guess the BBC see Palace as more of a Premier League club than us.

As you were.
as if the BBC have any credibility about anything football related....:rolleyes:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I can see Bozza. Albion Dan. Harry’s Wilson’s Tackle. Jim of the West. Bwian. Any others? What a night.
My son is there.
There were some real wits in that group. It was a laugh.
Was that occasional Hartlepool supporter a mate of yours? One of his finest was:

"Oy Ref. It's people like you that give bastards like me a bad name"

:ROFLMAO:

And let's never forget "Hoof it!"

"Quality hoof"

:kiss:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
A personal anecdote, a brother in law of mine in the early 90’s lived in Southend, he was both a Southend and West Ham fan. Southend were having their tiny living in the sun.

For some reason (he hadn’t had any personal bother with us) he couldn’t the Albion and loved our plight under Archer.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
And yet would we get the gates of teams like Derby, Wednesday and Ipswich in the third division?

We gloat at teams like this and where they are, but remember they have had a lot more success than we have.

We’ve never won a major trophy and we’ve never been in Europe.

Lets enjoy the ride, but always be humble. Football has shown that clubs can sink fast.

West Brom for example, could be third tier next season.
Below is our attendance record in 1965. I have circled the division in which we were playing and the average attendance.

1965.PNG

We have always had massive potential that was never realised owing to a massive inferiority complex and lack of investment.

We are, now, where we deserve to be, on merit. We simply haven't quite got used to the idea, yet (us old people, I mean. I would imagine your average 16 year old, like the lad who sits behind me, is simply proud to watch his local 'established' EPL club, something that he has pretty much always had, ever since he got into football).

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It is a football quirk that the only Prem side outside of the Big 6 to win a main domestic trophy since 1996 is Leicester City and yet 6 sides from the EFL have done so: Portsmouth, Wigan, Blackburn, Middlesbrough, Birmingham City and Swansea.

I look at this and think we may have dodged a bullet being outside the Prem during those years when wages and transfer fees went through the roof, rendering many of these clubs skint for generations.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
The Orient rivalry was one I remember the most. It stemmed from the Scott McGleish (is a wanker, is a wanker) game at the Goldstone, but then for a couple of seasons we got beaten home and away and seemed to draw them (and get beaten) in every cup competition going. This led to their fans really rubbing it in, which was particularly frustrating as I knew we were only a bit of stability - ie a home ground - away from being streets ahead of them. I think it was the 2nd game in the first Withdean season when we finally beat them, and honestly at the time it felt as good beating Orient in the 4th division as it did stuffing Chelsea on Saturday.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Best not get too gloaty about it though... Long may our success continue, but it can all go pear-shaped quite quickly.
I agree, I never get smug with anyone who supports a team in a lower league. When Brighton are not playing or are away and I can't go and need a footy fix, I go and watch my local club Reading. Sometimes it is nice watch a game where I am not invested in the result. Reading in the games I have seen are not great to watch. I walk to the games with my next door neighbour who is a Reading season ticket holder, but I never diss his team. I realise we are possibly a few bad injuries, unlucky deflections or bad VAR decisions to being the same league as them again.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Love watching teams like reading who took the piss back in the day - no fans no atmo and losing on sky in the league below us

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here