Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Arrogance and Entitlement

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
My only issue with Burnley is the bloke who spent the whole of one away game yelling "you cheating bastids, you fookin queers" in to Cantor's microphone during the commentary on one away game. Main issue being I was laughing so hard I forgot the score. I hope he didn't have a coronary.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
The problem is that a lot of people think that a SKY cheque for £120 million falls on the mat as soon as you are promoted to the Premier League, which isn't the case. We've only had one payment so far and that doesn't even cover the transfers, ground improvements, bonuses and everything else.

I think you might want to grant people a tad more intelligence than that.

As for not covering the cost of your transfers (4?) and ground improvements (new tin roof?) ... I have to assume you're joking, or granting the typical reader here absolutely no intelligence whatsoever

COYP

Oct 1, 2012
@%1;
I think you might want to grant people a tad more intelligence than that.

As for not covering the cost of your transfers (4?) and ground improvements (new tin roof?) ... I have to assume you're joking, or granting the typical reader here absolutely no intelligence whatsoever

That'll be the arrogance the first chap spoke about then? Ground improvements when you go up to the Premiership include but are not limited to, 750kms of cabling or something like that, a state of the art press room, undersoil heating, the ability to store something ridiculous in the regions of about 14 cameras for goal line technology, and a massive gantry so that Sky can film the game in 3D even though no one has ever watched 3D football and no one ever will.

Jan 10, 2014
@%1;

That'll be the arrogance the first chap spoke about then? Ground improvements when you go up to the Premiership include but are not limited to, 750kms of cabling or something like that, a state of the art press room, undersoil heating, the ability to store something ridiculous in the regions of about 14 cameras for goal line technology, and a massive gantry so that Sky can film the game in 3D even though no one has ever watched 3D football and no one ever will.

Thanks for trying to get one of your fellow fans to understand. You are correct although we've had under soil heating for quite a few years now.

I will also add that we've moved the players tunnel which is now at the side of the Cricket Field Stand and the old one has been filled in and some more seats have been added. We've also built new dressing rooms.

The concourse of the Cricket Field Stand (the away end) has been done up a bit and any Brighton fan who has been in there will know how much of an underground bunker with and bucket to crap in it was. Although it's not like being at the Emirates in there now it is still much better than it was. Yes the seats are still wooden, just like at Goodison Park.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
@%1;

Arrogance? I was using it to emphasise the absurdity of the statement

How much do you really think that little lot cost? Plus it assumes that totally zero was in place before.

I believe the initial payment is £50M+ so for Burnley to spend that on "improvements" is daft in the extreme. Their activity has also been less than some Championship clubs too

As for Ward not going there for the money that is laughable. He's hung on at Wolves for the money only agreeing to leave when it was quite clear he had zero role to play and then jumping the opposite way for what? Certainly not to enhance his International prospects which seemingly didn't suffer in the preceding years when he wasn't in the Prem. And, by the way I'm not critical of him doing that, nor any player outside of those at the very top of the earning ladder, for doing exactly the same

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Thanks for trying to get one of your fellow fans to understand. You are correct although we've had under soil heating for quite a few years now.

I will also add that we've moved the players tunnel which is now at the side of the Cricket Field Stand and the old one has been filled in and some more seats have been added. We've also built new dressing rooms.

The concourse of the Cricket Field Stand (the away end) has been done up a bit and any Brighton fan who has been in there will know how much of an underground bunker with and bucket to crap in it was. Although it's not like being at the Emirates in there now it is still much better than it was. Yes the seats are still wooden, just like at Goodison Park.

You do realise that COYP is a Palace fan, hence he's so keen to side with you. Pretty much all Brighton fans on here (excluding ones on a wind up) think that you and your mate are being pathetic, I'd imagine.

What you don't understand is that nobody was bad mouthing Burnley until your mate turned up. Everyone knows why he and Barnes went to you and for some reason you're arguing with me but also agreeing.

In your previous post you said about Ward's international prospects being enhanced by the Premier League (having disagreed with me saying Premier League football was part of the reason he joined you). If you read the facts, you'll see that Ward dropped out of the Ireland squad when not playing for Wolves and then broke back in while playing for us last year. If anything, playing less regular first team football will damage his international prospects, I would think.

The simple point you ignore is that there wasn't really any arrogance or entitlement except in the original post on this thread. People got wound up by it and responded (and yes it did irritate me at the time). I came back on here to discuss as you seemed more reasonable and gave up yesterday because you were being as bad as the original poster. I will actually ignore this thread now as others are making better points when arguing with you but thought I'd just respond to your comments from last night/today!

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Arrogance? I was using it to emphasise the absurdity of the statement

How much do you really think that little lot cost? Plus it assumes that totally zero was in place before.

I believe the initial payment is £50M+ so for Burnley to spend that on "improvements" is daft in the extreme. Their activity has also been less than some Championship clubs too

As for Ward not going there for the money that is laughable. He's hung on at Wolves for the money only agreeing to leave when it was quite clear he had zero role to play and then jumping the opposite way for what? Certainly not to enhance his International prospects which seemingly didn't suffer in the preceding years when he wasn't in the Prem. And, by the way I'm not critical of him doing that, nor any player outside of those at the very top of the earning ladder, for doing exactly the same

I wouldn't bother. Apparently arguing with them is pointless. How pathetic it is that a Burnley fan comes on here spouting rubbish and both times the thread is on the first page, Palace fans jump on the bandwagon and argue in his defence (they're not even making logical points just backing him up to abuse Brighton). What a waste of a thread!

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
swansea-dec-17.jpg

Personally I couldn't give a toss about Ward and Barnes and the doubtless 'epic' (Sky tm.) drama about to unfold during the current Premier league campaign. What this all boils down for me is Kurt Nogan. I have never, nay, will never forgive Burnley for robbing us of king Kurt and for what 250-300k?!? I guess he went for the history too. I guess its all history and today, tomorrow and beyond? well not relevant in the slightest. Obviously I jest, or do I?!? wahh ah hah hah ha hha ha ha h ah ah hah ah and so on.

I'm all about Brighton, not Burnley, not Crystal Palace, nor any other team. Players come, players go... usually for money, league status, sometimes for women, sometimes for kicks... the point is after 20+ pages of pointless argument, who really gives a s h i t?!?

Kosh

Last edited:

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I wouldn't bother. Apparently arguing with them is pointless. How pathetic it is that a Burnley fan comes on here spouting rubbish and both times the thread is on the first page, Palace fans jump on the bandwagon and argue in his defence (they're not even making logical points just backing him up to abuse Brighton). What a waste of a thread!

I've fast reached that conclusion.

I should have realised when a Burnley fan suggests they have spent £50M+ on ground improvements and transfers (which seemingly mean moving the tunnel and new dressing rooms and the fees for Ward, Jutkiewicz, Boyd and Sordell)

Even with the Croydon fella adding his cabling I can't see that lot adding up to much more than £5M even if you include a couple for bonuses

Jan 10, 2014
I see Finchley is here again after giving up twice. This thread would only have been 10 pages long without his many many posts on it.

I'll spell it out for you again.... T-H-E O-P I-S N-O-T A B-U-R-N-L-E-Y F-A-N.

Rugrat - It wasn't £50 million but don't let that fact get in the way of the nonsense.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
A Palace Troll wrote :

Hi all.

I'm a Burnley fan, and I felt compelled to register and talk about Stephen Ward in light of some silly comments ive read over time on here.

I noticed that many posters on this forum have been very uncomplimentary towards Ward & even Barnes, for their decision to choose Burnley over Brighton. My question is why?

Brighton now have a lovely fresh stadium. It is admittedly impressive, but no more so than any of the other recently erected new build stadia that we've seen in recent years.

This stadium, and the chance to play at it, seems to be the main reason why posters here think the aforementioned players should have chosen Brighton over Burnley.

Unfortunately, I'm here to tell you that there are quite a number of reasons why a player would choose Burnley over Brighton.

Firstly, Burnley are a club that has woven strands into the fabric of English football. We are a founding member, multiple title winning team that has spent the majority of it's existence in the upper echelons of the Football League.

Brighton can boast none of this, and has spent most of its existence scratching around in the lower leagues.

In recent history, Burnley have shown ambition, have spent more time challenging at the right end of the championship, have shown a real aptitude for bringing through and developing talent and have tasted the success that Brighton aspire to. We play bright, attacking football too.

Whereas Brighton, the nouveau rich, have spent plenty of money and consistently failed at the final hurdle. It's often been pointed out how cynical, dour, and downright dirty some of the football has been also.

Finally, Burnley may not have a shiny new stadium, but what it does have in Turf Moor, is a stadium steeped in history, dignity and respect.

It reflects badly on many of you that you are unable to weigh up such reasons before concluding that the likes of Ward & Barnes are idiots for choosing Burnley over you.

Enjoy your season.

A genuine Burnley fan commented :

I see Finchley is here again after giving up twice. This thread would only have been 10 pages long without his many many posts on it.

Rugrat - It wasn't £50 million but don't let that fact get in the way of the nonsense.

Seems obvious.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford

What nonsense? Are you suggesting that Prem clubs don't get a guaranteed £50M + placings money + televised games? If so I would be delighted to see what you think is going on.

BTW minimum last year was £62.5M

Or are you so daft that you think the cash needs to be in the bank before it can get spent?

I'll leave you to the nonsense tyvm

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London

Final comment as you don't seem to get it.

1) It only matters whether people thought the OP was a Burnley fan or not. Apparently the IP address is in Bolton so they may actually be a Burnley fan. Even ignoring that, how do you know they're not?

2) You come across as arrogant as him or should we assume you're not a Burnley fan too

3) This is my team's forum. I have the right to respond. If you don't like it, why not go back to the Burnley forum and discuss it there?

Jan 10, 2014
What nonsense? Are you suggesting that Prem clubs don't get a guaranteed £50M + placings money + televised games? If so I would be delighted to see what you think is going on.

BTW minimum last year was £62.5M

Or are you so daft that you think the cash needs to be in the bank before it can get spent?

I'll leave you to the nonsense tyvm

Are you hard of reading?

I said first payment.

We don't get all the money in one lump like I said earlier and then you chirped up.

Yes that nonsense.

Jan 10, 2014
how do you know they're not?

He thinks that Gawthorpe is where the players may live.

He talks about Burnley as a third person/thing.

He says 'Burnley' a lot instead of 'we', 'us' or Clarets.

He isn't a Burnley fan and he's done you, yes you in particular, up like a kipper.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Are you hard of reading?

I said first payment.

We don't get all the money in one lump like I said earlier and then you chirped up.

Yes that nonsense.

Hard of reading? Go back and read again and then answer my questions and specifics, rather than spout your garbage.

Actually don't bother, I don't do futile

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here