Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Army surplus stores

Clothes Peg

Mar 3, 2007
strings said:
I used to do that too!

The stores at RAF Lyneham were the best place ever - we went to summer camp there and ended come coming back with loads of free stuff.

:thumbsup:

Wahey, another exceptionally cool air-cadet! Half our flourescent vests had "ATC UCKFIELD" accross the back. God knows how we managed to sneak-steal those. Stolen traffic cones also instrumental in many exercises and drill comps.

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
Let me disabuse you of the notion now. There is NO SUCH THING as a "cool air cadet". I had a scrote Air Cadet Officer try and give me a direct order once. He sounded really, really stupid begging me to let go of his throat whilst I explained that those of us in the "real Forces" did not listen to pre-pubescent boys and girls who liked to play at dressing up at the weekends. He cried, then tried to get his "Officer" to tell me off.

He cried as well.

If you want to get some half decent fishing kit, then find someone in the TA who can nick it for you. Then again, considering most people in the Forces actually buy their kit from non-Service shops, perhaps a trip to Millets would be better advised. Or a car boot sale - Army Surplus shops cost a fortune.

Fcuking Air Cadets. I bet Junior has a really high opinion of them as well....

Clothes Peg

Mar 3, 2007
HampshireSeagulls said:
Let me disabuse you of the notion now. There is NO SUCH THING as a "cool air cadet".

Whatever mate, I was an Air Cadet, and I was cool. Admittedly, I kinda only went cos I liked the uniform. Woolen skirts and stockings. Great.

I would have joined the real armed forces, but I wasn't allowed to.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
ginadim said:
Whatever mate, I was an Air Cadet, and I was cool. Admittedly, I kinda only went cos I liked the uniform. Woolen skirts and stockings. Great.

I would have joined the real armed forces, but I wasn't allowed to.

GEEK!

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
ginadim said:
Shut it. I'm sure you would have loved the stockings and suspenders and the shiny black parade shoes.

Probably, but lets not go there. While others can get away with flirting with you I am not allowed. The cliques have spoken!

Clothes Peg

Mar 3, 2007
Les Biehn said:
Probably, but lets not go there. While others can get away with flirting with you I am not allowed. The cliques have spoken!

Actually, I meant that you'd enjoy dressing up in such garments. Sorry, no more conversing.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
ginadim said:
Actually, I meant that you'd enjoy dressing up in such garments. Sorry, no more conversing.

I knew that. I flirt with women by telling them how much I want to put their clothes on.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
My Mum used to get my school uniform from surplus stores.

I attended secondary school for the first 2 years dressed as a Japanese Admiral!

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Tooting Gull said:
I don't think I've ever been in an army surplus store. Can bargains be had? Maybe I've just seen too many films where people are taken off to a back room and shown lots of Nazi memorabilia - but I'm sure they're not all like that.

Army surplus gear is great! Wear it for work all the time (although I guess suitability as work wear depends on your job quite alot...!). Very cheap, comfortable, washes and dries dead easy and withstands just about as much abuse as you can thrown at it. Thank God for whoever it is at the MoD who must always end up buying way to much stuff :)

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
BDR in Worthing was excellent when I was at school, the number of people who pretty much lived in former Italian and German military kit was amazing, it was like growing up in NATO.

Vlad the Impala

Jul 16, 2004
Seems to me that if there are so many army surplus stores, someone in the army needs courtmartialling for spending too much of the hard-pressed taxpayers' money. So there.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Anyone ever been to colonel mikes in the lanes? f***ing scary.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
i have i recently brought some £6 plimsoles in there :lolol: which they charge £25 for on the high street :clap:

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Vlad the Impala said:
Seems to me that if there are so many army surplus stores, someone in the army needs courtmartialling for spending too much of the hard-pressed taxpayers' money. So there.

yeah if theres so much surplus stuff and a deficit on other essential kit then someone wants a talking to :angry:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Do we have a surplus of tanks because I could do with one of them.

Ozymandias

Jan 31, 2007
HampshireSeagulls said:
Let me disabuse you of the notion now. There is NO SUCH THING as a "cool air cadet". I had a scrote Air Cadet Officer try and give me a direct order once. He sounded really, really stupid begging me to let go of his throat whilst I explained that those of us in the "real Forces" did not listen to pre-pubescent boys and girls who liked to play at dressing up at the weekends. He cried, then tried to get his "Officer" to tell me off.

He cried as well.

If you want to get some half decent fishing kit, then find someone in the TA who can nick it for you. Then again, considering most people in the Forces actually buy their kit from non-Service shops, perhaps a trip to Millets would be better advised. Or a car boot sale - Army Surplus shops cost a fortune.

Fcuking Air Cadets. I bet Junior has a really high opinion of them as well....

I work with a guy who's a warrant officer in the air cadets who walks like he's got his paystick shoved up his arse, and he gets very miffed when I refer to him as the plastic crab :tosser:

As for kit, I brought thermals gloves etc from millets (mid 80's) for my artic training. I was advised by Royal to get a sleeping bag as well but couldn't afford it, biggest mistake of my life, Pussers sleeping bags are well and truly shite.
Problem with gear from surplus stores (in the 80's) is that it's second hand and in poor nick, fine if you want to look like an urban warrior but shite if your planning to trapse across Dartmoor in january ....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here