Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Army Cap badge / Uniform experts?

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Ok, I asked for that.

I am trying to find someone who use to live in Sussex and who may still be alive as the picture I have is from the 70s.

I wasn't sure about posting the pic in case they can still be recognised. I would rather do a softly softly approach.

I am happy to send the pic as a PM to anyone who can help.

Please PM picture me my Dad was in the army in the 70's and used to live in Sussex mate

mxs_harrow

Jan 20, 2009
HA5
Labor Omnia Vincit - Work Conquers All

Quite ironic when instead of fixing IT issues, checking out NSC instead........

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
The photo you sent is quite dated and the badge isn't very clear. However, I believe it may be the badge for the Royal Pioneer Corps.

Below is what I think is the badge the man in the picture is wearing:

Pioneer_Corps_Badge.jpg

My guess is above.

Original image below:

2.png

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Labour Corps Cap Badge WW1
Badge comprises Rifle, Shovel, Pick and Sword piled together. The motto 'Labor Omnia Vincit' meaning 'Work conquers all'. Western Front.
Corps made up of men no longer fit enough for front line service.

Last edited:

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Badge comprises Rifle, Shovel, Pick and Sword piled together. The motto 'Labor Omnia Vincit' meaning 'Work conquers all'. Western Front.

Not WW1.
I believe this is more recent. Almost certain it's the Pioneers which was a branch of the Labour Corps or something along those lines?

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Not WW1.
I believe this is more recent. Almost certain it's the Pioneers which was a branch of the Labour Corps or something along those lines?

Ok I look forward to your irrefutable proof. I honestly cannot remember or find this badge shape/set for ww2. It is the Labour Corps and I will be fascinated and will doff my hat if you prove me wrong.

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
Ok I look forward to your irrefutable proof. I honestly cannot remember or find this badge shape/set for ww2. It is the Labour Corps and I will be fascinated and will doff my hat if you prove me wrong.
This badge was designed for the Labour Corps which was formed in 1917 and disbanded at the end of WW1 but it was assigned to the Pioneer Corps, the successor to the Labour Corps, formed in 1939.

From the Pioneer Corps website:
"In November 1939 the War Office approved a badge for the Corps. Described as:- A rifle, a shovel and a pick ‘piled’ on them a laurel wreath, all ensigned with a crown. Beneath, the motto Labor Omnia Vincit (Work Conquers all). The badge was not designed for the Pioneer Corps but was approved in October 1918 for the Labour Corps."

So this badge was used in both WW1 and WW2.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
The forage cap that the badge is on is a lot later than WW1.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
This badge was designed for the Labour Corps which was formed in 1917 and disbanded at the end of WW1 but it was assigned to the Pioneer Corps, the successor to the Labour Corps, formed in 1939.

From the Pioneer Corps website:
"In November 1939 the War Office approved a badge for the Corps. Described as:- A rifle, a shovel and a pick ‘piled’ on them a laurel wreath, all ensigned with a crown. Beneath, the motto Labor Omnia Vincit (Work Conquers all). The badge was not designed for the Pioneer Corps but was approved in October 1918 for the Labour Corps."

So this badge was used in both WW1 and WW2.

Thank you. Cap 'doffed'. So the Labour corps it is but a ww2 badge none the less.

S.T.U cgull

Jan 17, 2009
HILLLLLLL
Ok, I asked for that.

I am trying to find someone who use to live in Sussex and who may still be alive as the picture I have is from the 70s.

I wasn't sure about posting the pic in case they can still be recognised. I would rather do a softly softly approach.

I am happy to send the pic as a PM to anyone who can help.

My dad was in the pioneers in the 70s and is from Sussex. Send me a PM & I shall show him the picture as he doesn't post on here.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
I would like to say I enjoyed this thread. Learnt things I didn't know (cap badge re dedication). Thanks to all who think its important to remember the origins and subsequent derivatives of our armed services. Who else on here also does their own family history?

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
My dad was in the pioneers in the 70s and is from Sussex. Send me a PM & I shall show him the picture as he doesn't post on here.
His surname isn't s***er is it ? I was in the Falklands with a bloke from the pioneers in 1985.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here