[Brighton] Ariel Pic of Brighton 1929

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
The big brown building in the foreground of St Peters is the Northern (pub) Hotel (now Hobgoblin) on Cheapside just opposite Aldi. That should help people orientate themselves. Great picture.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I heard told that story too

The vast building, in Italian Gothic style with a large rose window and a statue of St Bartholomew in a niche below, completely dominated the surrounding houses and was built to the supposed dimensions of Noah's Ark, 180 feet long, 58 feet wide and 140 feet to the top of the gilt metal cross.

Interesting. I always thought that was quite an unusually big church.

So that explains that. And we’re supposed to believe a dude got 2 of each animal around the world inside that? Hmmm.

NorthLainer

Aug 12, 2011
Now available in Hove
So that would be Whitecross St straight ahead. My uncle used to live there, always wondered what it looked like with houses. He tells a story of when he came home from National Service to find another family happily sitting in the kitchen. Turns out his parents had moved whilst he was away. The new residents told him where he could find his parents.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
That's Fairy interesting. Surf-ice to say, I'll make a Bold prediction and say that h'Ecover-ed himself in glory.

Sadly, time and Tide wait for no man.

As soon as the washing powder puns appeared, I thought Omo, not again!

clockend1983

Apr 1, 2010
So that would be Whitecross St straight ahead. My uncle used to live there, always wondered what it looked like with houses. He tells a story of when he came home from National Service to find another family happily sitting in the kitchen. Turns out his parents had moved whilst he was away. The new residents told him where he could find his parents.

I think it is Pelham street straight ahead
Whitecross Street is the next one up
and the one above that is Blackman St
where today I lay my hat I’m very interested in this
fantastic picture
Thanks for posting

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Inside St Bartholomews there are old maps showing the terraces around the church. It had a large local congregation at one point. Also, always worth a visit on a Saturday afternoon if there’s a concert in the evening. There is often a rehearsal.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I think it is Pelham street straight ahead
Whitecross Street is the next one up
and the one above that is Blackman St
where today I lay my hat I’m very interested in this
fantastic picture
Thanks for posting

You can see the Hobgoblin Pub there on the corner