Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
How hard could it be to convert one of these for passengers:

truck7.jpg

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
We mustn't lose sight of the reason we are debating all this. The Club wants to install an extra 8,000 seats. EVERY Albion supporter will benefit from this. We therefore need to ensure that we get those extra seats.

The signs are that the Club will have to admit that 8,000 extra spectators cannot be accommodated within the existing travel arrangements - some elements of which are already operating close to maximum capacity. The Club will therefore have to come forward with proposals to increase transport capacity and manage existing capacity more effectively.

A range of solutions will therefore need to be identified - or we won't get approval for the extra seats.

These solutions will include:-
* increasing public transport capacity
* increasing parking capacity
* controlling existing parking differently
* reviewing the travel voucher scheme
* identifying new park & ride sites
* encouraging more people to walk or cycle
* dealing with shortcomings in the existing transport arrangements

The final package will no doubt include a lot of compromises and some people may feel that their personal circumstances will mean that their travel experience gets slightly worse. But we need to see the bigger picture when we form our opinions.

I don't park in Coldean. If I did park in Coldean, I'd still want the travel voucher scheme to be improved, even though I don't need a travel voucher to allow me to park. I'd want the new supporters (the extra 8,000) to be encouraged not to compete with me for the parking space that I want to use. If a more effective travel voucher ensures this, I'd be happy. I'd probably be happy to pay a surcharge on my ticket to achieve this.

What would piss me off would be if the Club failed to achieve the extra seats.

Do I want the ground to be 30,000 capacity? Yes, I do. But I'm not sure I'd agree with the argument that says 'it'll be better overall, so let's do whatever we have to, including making the transport experience much worse for many of the original 22,500, to make it happen'.

Sorry, I'm not buying the expansion at any cost, and if we can't do it properly yet, then maybe we should wait a year or two. It won't kill us. We waited 14 years for 22,500, another couple to get the job done right won't hurt.

Ideally there needs to be more affordable (ie not £15) parking near the ground. If Coldean/Moulsecoomb go, that need is overwhelming.

In my view this should go alongside more effective travel vouchers/other strategies, and not be totally replaced by them.

Do I want the ground to be 30,000 capacity? Yes, I do. But I'm not sure I'd agree with the argument that says 'it'll be better overall, so let's do whatever we have to, including making the transport experience much worse for many of the original 22,500, to make it happen'.

Sorry, I'm not buying the expansion at any cost, and if we can't do it properly yet, then maybe we should wait a year or two. It won't kill us. We waited 14 years for 22,500, another couple to get the job done right won't hurt.

Ideally there needs to be more affordable (ie not £15) parking near the ground. If Coldean/Moulsecoomb go, that need is overwhelming.

In my view this should go alongside more effective travel vouchers/other strategies, and not be totally replaced by them.
I understand this point of view - and have some sympathy with it - but it may be that the Club feels it has no choice but to move towards early expansion. Is this the price of keeping Gus at the Club?

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Does the stadium not already have the most 'sustainable' travel plan in British football?

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I understand this point of view - and have some sympathy with it - but it may be that the Club feels it has no choice but to move towards early expansion. Is this the price of keeping Gus at the Club?

Some of these decisions will have ramifications long after Gus has left the club. If that is behind the pressure (and you may well be right there), it is a bad reason. Gus is in no position to be laying down ultimatums on this anyway, he has his work cut out managing the team. And himself.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

:thumbsup:

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I'm amazed we haven't had one of the thicker members making the traditional "FFS stop moaning, we've got a great stadium and all you can do is whinge about transport!" post yet.

5mins-from-amex

Sep 1, 2011
coldean
well me and my wife move our cars into the garden and have often let fans park on our driveway and/or infront of it, i mean come on its only 2 hours three or four times a month! had an argument with my neighbour last home game because he moves his cars OUT of his driveway just to stop fans parking outside his house! tosser.

lethaldrizzle

Apr 30, 2007
South East London
The situation is unbearable – residents in Coldean cannot park their own cars.

Why do motorists think they have a divine right to park their cars on a given street? You don't own the street, it's common land. I pay my taxes too and if there's a match on nearby and I want to park there I've got just as much right as you even if it is outside your house. If you want a guaranteed parking space buy a house that has a driveway.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
Why do motorists think they have a divine right to park their cars on a given street? You don't own the street, it's common land. I pay my taxes too and if there's a match on nearby and I want to park there I've got just as much right as you even if it is outside your house. If you want a guaranteed parking space buy a house that has a driveway.

This.

Park where you want as long as it doesnt block anyone's driveway.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Can't believe this is 6 pages

No vouchers
£30 on a season ticket
£2 on a match ticket
Tow away anyone parked illegally in Coldean

Thread closed (till someone else whines :rolleyes:)

oh and the hoverbike things :thumbsup:

chrissyboy01

Sep 24, 2011
Can't believe this is 6 pages

No vouchers
£30 on a season ticket
£2 on a match ticket
Tow away anyone parked illegally in Coldean

Thread closed (till someone else whines :rolleyes:)

oh and the hoverbike things :thumbsup:

Not quite closed.....I drive and park in Coldean (legally at all times) so I dont really want to pay an extra £30 on top of my ST

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Not quite closed.....I drive and park in Coldean (legally at all times) so I dont really want to pay an extra £30 on top of my ST
That's okay - your £30 will go towards the cost of the consultation the coldean residents now want and to help encourage other people amongst the new 8000 not to use that area in future so as to avoid making your 25 minutes walk a 40 minute one.

Everyone's a winner

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here