Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Argus Letters re Parking in Coldean

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
There's no way that a measure that penalises people for walking or cycling to the ground will get passed by a Green-led council.

That's one way of looking at it. Equally you could say it will encourage folk to use public transport. I can see where you're coming from but on balance I'd say an all-inclusive ticket is preferable and will have greater impact. Selling seperate vouchers for each and every mode of transport isn't a workable option and currently penalises thousands of public transport users who purchased them as its impossible to collect them on the trains. It's not perfect but all-inclusive deal is the most workable option and will provide the best outcome on balance.

Last edited:

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
To be fair I did see a Bus that could not take its normal route around Coldean as there were cars blocking the route.

Surely the P&R from the Racecourse was granted after the permission to build the stadium? I don't think the letter writer has got that right.
Throughout the Public Inquiry into the stadium, the Club made it clear that they were intending to use the Racecourse as a stadium P&R site. It was, however, only this year that they got round to putting in a planning application to allow this to happen.

That's one way of looking at it. Equally you could say it will encourage folk to use public transport. I can see where you're coming from but on balance I'd say an all-inclusive ticket is preferable and will have greater impact. Selling seperate vouchers for each and every mode of transport isn't a workable option and currently penalises thousands of public transport users who purchased them as its impossible to collect them on the trains. It's not perfect but all-inclusive deal is the most workable option and will provide the best outcome on balance.
This.

Feb 14, 2010
I challenge someone to explain what is more "sustainable" about driving to a car park and then being herded on a bus and DRIVEN to the ground over driving to Coldean and WALKING to the ground.
As for public transport, then the car is the transport for most of the public, and one day a car will run on green fuels no doubt. The last thing the Albion need is to be at the mercy of train drivers. You can ask those of us that live in London where that leads.
The few games I have been to I have parked in Coldean. No problems, locals didnt mind at all, but hey the council do like creating an issue so that they can raise money so they can continue paying into their own over generous pension schemes.

The few games I have been to I have parked in Coldean. No problems, locals didnt mind at all, but hey the council do like creating an issue so that they can raise money so they can continue paying into their own over generous pension schemes.
Jeane Lepper (who is an opposition City Councillor for the area) is supporting the Club on this issue.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Michael Inkpin-Leissner
x Ridge View
Brighton xxx xxx
UK
Tel.: 01273 xxxxxx
Mob.: 07799 xxxxxx
Email: michaellei*****@xxxl.com

will become a very unpopular person indeed if his whining brings parking rescritctions to his neighbours in Coldean. Because whatever else you choose to believe, the lower end of Coldean has major parking issues EVERY day, not just football days. The only way to stop it, is the stop parking outside the shops, put a set of double yellows down one side of Park Road, and towe or ticket every car that double parks in Rushlake Road....... not on football days, but every day of the week.

Yes, I can see Michael Inkpin-Leissner of Ridge View, becoming very very popular with the other residents if he gets his wish.

Some people really just need to think before they try and shit stir about something they don't really understand.... WHAT A PLANK

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
What is the clubs position, and what is the issue?
There is no issue. We are not speaking about a little village that doesn't see a car for weeks suddenly become taken over by parking. The bottom end of Coldean has had major parking issues for the past 20 years. The football stadium, whilst hasn't helped, hasn't made much of a difference. Anyone who think it has, may I suggest before responding, that a drive around there around 7pm, up Park Road, Rushlake Road, Ridge View, and you will see what I mean.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
The interesting issue is why are there so many vociferously unhappy people living in Brighton and Hove? Perhaps the Argus could investigate this as well as publishing such a vast number of whinging letters.
And yes....there is far more whinging in the Argus than in the dozens of other local papers I have read.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I live close to Withdean Stadium, and once fans realised the parking instructions weren't enforceable, many roads in Westdene/Withdean/South-East Patcham, were full of parked fans cars on match days. [The Club said it was largely adhered to, but that was bollocks].

Anyway, I never saw a blocked driveway, and most people round our way had few complaints. I was fine with it too.

To compare to 1999, is this Coldean furore being hyped into something worse than the true negative effects?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The interesting issue is why are there so many vociferously unhappy people living in Brighton and Hove? Perhaps the Argus could investigate this as well as publishing such a vast number of whinging letters.
And yes....there is far more whinging in the Argus than in the dozens of other local papers I have read.

The (dying) Argus,& Green Party stirring it, matched by some whinging nimbies.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

Several people here, including Lord B and TLO have stated that they have had conversations with Green councillors during which the councillors have said that the club should be doing more to encourage sustainable transport. We have a proposal for 8,000 new seats going to a planning committee - there isn't a hope in hell of that getting passed if the club accompanies it with a suggestion that users of sustainable transport will be penalised (and you won't get much support from Labour councillors either with the notion that residents in Labour-held Moulsecoomb should be charged for walking to the ground).

But even without the political ramifications, I don't see the point of such a catch-all scheme. There aren't the parking places at the moment, nor enough capacity on the trains. As I said above, the club is offering incentives to people coming by bike as they want more cyclists (they want more pedestrians too, but it's harder to reward these). Why, having implemented such a scheme, would they want to discourage people arriving by bike.

And I don't understand how people who buy vouchers for the train and use them are being penalised - that doesn't make any sense at all to me.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I go to matches with a couple of guys from Coldean who say that they're not aware of widespread complaints about the parking. As usual, a few vociferous individuals are trying to kick up a fuss - one of the reasons nothing ever seems to get done in our city (unless you've got someone like Tony Bloom to make sure that it actually happens).

I'm all for cars being towed and ticketed if they're parked dangerously or across drives. Otherwise, we all pay our road tax so what's the problem?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I go to matches with a couple of guys from Coldean who say that they're not aware of widespread complaints about the parking. As usual, a few vociferous individuals are trying to kick up a fuss - one of the reasons nothing ever seems to get done in our city (unless you've got someone like Tony Bloom to make sure that it actually happens).

I'm all for cars being towed and ticketed if they're parked dangerously or across drives. Otherwise, we all pay our road tax so what's the problem?

And behind the scenes, the Knight-Perry-Chapman Albion Board fought against other nimbies in the City, but had to keep quiet at the time, e.g.

David Panter (then Chief Exec of the Council i.e. a servant of ours), a key local politician, and the Vice Chancellor of Brighton Uni.

The Coldean nimbies follow in a long line of obstructive complainers.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
[TEMPLATE][/TEMPLATE]
Several people here, including Lord B and TLO have stated that they have had conversations with Green councillors during which the councillors have said that the club should be doing more to encourage sustainable transport. We have a proposal for 8,000 new seats going to a planning committee - there isn't a hope in hell of that getting passed if the club accompanies it with a suggestion that users of sustainable transport will be penalised (and you won't get much support from Labour councillors either with the notion that residents in Labour-held Moulsecoomb should be charged for walking to the ground).

But even without the political ramifications, I don't see the point of such a catch-all scheme. There aren't the parking places at the moment, nor enough capacity on the trains. As I said above, the club is offering incentives to people coming by bike as they want more cyclists (they want more pedestrians too, but it's harder to reward these). Why, having implemented such a scheme, would they want to discourage people arriving by bike.

I see public transport as sustainable, are you suggesting it's just walkers and cyclists?

And I don't understand how people who buy vouchers for the train and use them are being penalised - that doesn't make any sense at all to me.

The catch-all approach only really penalises (as you put it) walkers. Bus and train users will obviously have transport provided, PnR have their facilities whilst cyclists have land, racks, incentives and security laid on. A £1 a game surely isnt too much to ask is it?

I fully appreciate walkers will be hit but you cannot please everyone all of the time and all things considered the catch-all approach will encourage everyone bar walkers to use public transport. If you do you benefit.

You mention there not being the parking or the train capacity. I really do think it depends on your views and expectation. The club's goal was/is to get everyone away within the hour. They're achieving this. On this basis there is adequat parking and train capacity etc. It can be improved for sure, but the target was 60 mins.

As for your last comment the vouchers are unworkable and the train companies are not checking or collecting them due to the enormous volumes of people. On match days the gates are left open and you simply walk onto your train without presenting a ticket ie there was/is no need to have a voucher so if you bought a book you're losing out.

I really do think the catch-all is the preferable, realistic and pragmatic way forward which will benefit the most, and impact the least. The has to be realism.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I have just spent the night in various historic harbour taverns in Barcelona. I'm amazed I'm able to write this and the above.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here