Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Argus: Hammond wants to play in Championship

bhadeb

Jan 11, 2008
Under The Bosman He Can Go For Free In Four Months Time - Dick Has Messed Up Again - I Believe Dick Wants Investment When He Can Get More For It At Falmer And He Can Say I Got Us Here!!

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
...a player of hammonds abilities on a free is something that a lower-championship club, ie sheffield wednesday, should be seriously considering

In which case you can't blame him for wanting to leave...

.. in which case you can understand why the club can't wait while he decides.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
Yes, but if we're really challenging for the Championship as has been said by Knight/Wilkins, then Knight should be reasonably confident that Hammond WON'T go for bugger all in 4 months time???

whose to say he will stay even if we do win promotion? if a club comes in and offers him more money, and one that is likely to be higher than us in the championship, then he may well sign for them, regardless on how our season goes

if he doesnt sign soon id look to get rid - that money can then be used on a replacement for him, rather than gambling on the fact that we get promoted and he does decide to stay

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
whys that? i dont see what he has to gain by doing that. sign in february for a side that, to all intents and purposes, looks like heading for mid table mediocrity in league one. alternatively, wait until the end of the season and see what offers come in from bigger clubs?

he may not be having the best of seasons this year, but a player of hammonds abilities on a free is something that a lower-championship club, ie sheffield wednesday, should be seriously considering

Well, it's more in hope than anticipation that he'll sign in February.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Under The Bosman He Can Go For Free In Four Months Time - Dick Has Messed Up Again - I Believe Dick Wants Investment When He Can Get More For It At Falmer And He Can Say I Got Us Here!!

But he did get us there...

"I Believe Dick Wants Investment When He Can Get More For It At Falmer"

.. what ?

If Knight sells him then it really does suggest there's little aim for play-offs/promotion - he's practically ruling out the possibility of us being there next year

Why is Hammond is sold does that mean there is little aim for playoffs/promotion?

I think you are putting too much emphasis on Hammond's contribution to the side personally.

I think TLO is right, this is all about money, it seems like Hammond's agent is saying he wants to play for Brighton but only if they are in the Championship. An easy get out clause to get maximum money for Hammond as a free agent.

But until we hear from the club about their side of the story I think we have to be cautious with what the Argus is saying.

Having said that though, there does seem to be some pattern with contract negotiations at the club, it seems that not much goes on until the last minute, this seems to point to me that the club are keeping a lid on cash flow problems.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Bit of a tangent.

Who believes Hammond is captain material ?

Personally I think he's a key player for us and I wouldn't want to see him go. But he doesn't seem vocal or imposing enough to be captain to me.

Mind you, I'm struggling to find an obvious alternative. I'm perhaps thinking Forster has a bit of fire in his belly and is starter for every game , but most of his outbursts seem directed at the ref. What aboiut Kuiper's ? And of course if Thomson settles then he has pedigree in that role.

Any suggestions ?

Zesh Rehman

Sep 6, 2006
Oxford
For a player that hasnt even played that well this season hes being a bit greedy, i dont think hes at all good enough for the Championship. There must be something wrong at the club, why does our captain want to leave? Show some loyalty Dean for f*** sake.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

Dick put in an offer tow months ago - plenty of time for someone to make their mind up. They have had ongoing discussions (which started five months ago), and yet Hammond still doesn't want to sign. So tell me, where did Dick mess up?

Plus, Dick is getting us to Falmer anyway, so either your post makes absolutely no sense or can you explain what 'he can get more for it at Falmer' means?.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
whose to say he will stay even if we do win promotion? if a club comes in and offers him more money, and one that is likely to be higher than us in the championship, then he may well sign for them, regardless on how our season goes

if he doesnt sign soon id look to get rid - that money can then be used on a replacement for him, rather than gambling on the fact that we get promoted and he does decide to stay

I would too....but i think getting rid now shows a lack of ambition, something which he claims the club don't have.

However, if, as you say, the money was spent on a replacement, everything would probably be alright!

Bit of a tangent.

Who believes Hammond is captain material ?

Personally I think he's a key player for us and I wouldn't want to see him go. But he doesn't seem vocal or imposing enough to be captain to me.

Mind you, I'm struggling to find an obvious alternative. I'm perhaps thinking Forster has a bit of fire in his belly and is starter for every game , but most of his outbursts seem directed at the ref. What aboiut Kuiper's ? And of course if Thomson settles then he has pedigree in that role.

Any suggestions ?

Forster would make a far better captain than Hammond, IMHO.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Relax everyone. Hammond aint going anywhere, for one simple reason.

He aint f***ing good enough!!

His agent is trying to get as much money for him as possible. He'll sign a contract in the summer, when he discovers thats all he as on offer.

I would like to think he will learn from Bas Savage and O'Callaghan's experience. We agreed a fee for O'Callaghan, but only got him on loan because he wanted too bigger contract. Now he's goiong home to play in the Irish league!! Big bad Bas, thought he was better than he is (mind you doesn't have to think very highly of himself) and where is he now. He''ll end up at some conference club in Febraury, just to earn a wage for the rest of the year.

Hopefully Hammond will have a think, and reliase he's not the player his agent thinks he is, and will sign what's on offer. Agents don't work for the players interest, they look after number one, so of course he's going to get Hammond to wait, becuase the agent knows, if Hammond don't sign now, he can in the summer, but if he waits, theres an outside chance that he'll earn a little more commission.

AS I said before, I'm not Dick Knight's number one fan, but with regards to Hammond, Savage, and O'Callaghan I think he's right to let them go.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
For a player that hasnt even played that well this season hes being a bit greedy, i dont think hes at all good enough for the Championship. There must be something wrong at the club, why does our captain want to leave? Show some loyalty Dean for f*** sake.

He looked alright in it in the 04/05 season:)

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Of course. Everyone should have ambition, and if you're a league one footballer the ambition must be to become a championship footballer. But, the difference between Hammond and most of our squad is that, based on things like last season, goals scored from midfield, and the prestige of being captain, he can afford to turn down contracts from us KNOWING he will get one from a championship side (even if it is only a Colchester or Blackpool). A lot of our other players wouldn't be in such a good negotiating position, because they know they wouldn't get anything better than what they've got here.

You'd think that was the case, but Bas didn't think so, and look where he ended up...

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
For f*** sake dickhead, read the f***ing report, it says he doesn't want to sign until he knows if the clubs are going up. HE DOESN'T f***ing WANT TO SIGN NOW.

Zesh Rehman

Sep 6, 2006
Oxford
Relax everyone. Hammond aint going anywhere, for one simple reason.

He aint f***ing good enough!!

Maybe he'll learn from all the players that left us recently

Savage - No Club
O'Callaghan - No Club
Richards - Came Back

Why does he think he can move to a championship side? Hes only had 1 good season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here