Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Argus goes way OTT on trialists

Albionite83

Aug 27, 2003
Reading today's Argus report of the Woking game, you would have thought we'd signed Thierry Henry, Wayne Rooney and Michael Owen on trial. Their assessment of our trialists' performances at Woking is way OTT. Sure they did some good things, but they also did some not very good things - and it was only Woking.

It is early days and not really fair to judge yet, but I suspect Rougvie may be right when he says they won't be good enough for our division.

As for McGhee saying he would consider signing all 3 if they turn out to be good enough, that really is crazy when we have a limited budget, we already have Leon and our very weak midfield is crying out to be revamped :angry: :angry: :angry:

I'm going to put a bet on us to go down.

Last edited:

Albionite83 said:
Reading today's Argus report of the Woking game, you would have thought we'd signed Thierry Henry, Wayne Rooney and Michael Owen on trial. Their assessment of our trialists' performances at Woking is way OTT. Sure they did some good things, but they also did some not very good things - and it was only Woking.

It is early days and not really fair to judge yet, but I suspect Rougvie may be right when he says they won't be good enough for our division.

As for McGhee saying he would consider signing all 3 if they turn out to be good enough, that really is crazy when we have a limited budget, we already have Leon and our very weak midfield is crying out to be revamped :angry: :angry: :angry:

I'm going to put a bet on us to go down.

If we sign a 6ft 5 striker who is good, I doubt we will need a midfield. Long ball game alert!

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I suspect if we sign a 4 foot 5 striker it will still be the long ball game judging by last season

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
all 3 did look pretty good - especially the itallian? who came on. early days yet though, and i havent read the argus to know

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
Just goes to show how far out of our depth we are in the divison while we only have a limited capacity. Anyone decent will not even look twice at us.

I think the Argus assessments look understandable from what I saw today at Crawley. Good supportive reporting of the team's efforts, something it frequently gets accused of not doing enough of? Damned if you do, damned if you don't!

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
I couldn't get to the game today but can anyone advise on how the trialists compare with Iwelumo and McPhee in terms of their ball control and general skill levels?

:wave:

I reckon all 3 are better than those 2 at control/skill, but Big Chris did make things happen for us and it is too early to tell if any will be able to fit into our current team and have a similar impact as Big Chris, but the signs are promising if you read what people are saying on the Crawley match thread.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Kerekas much the same as Iwelumo bit clumsy prepared to have 'a pop'
Molango more ball skill than McPhee.
Takanary appears to have the skill but not the cutting edge required of a striker lays the ball off well.

I wonder if MM is resigned to not strenthening the midfield because he is trying all the defenders there bar KM who I would try on the left of midfield. So far he tried Harding and today Hinshlewood and Virgo. Or was it just to give them a run out?

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I liked what I saw and think Molango will certainly be good enough.

The other two have potential.

Kerekes better than Iwelumo at ball control.

Albionite83

Aug 27, 2003
Having seen both the Woking and Crawley games, I would say Sugar Boy Malinga looks promising and certainly the best bet of the 3. The others have done some good things and some not very good things.

We have been playing Conference teams, not Reading, and it's only July.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Molango looked useful, he certainly knows where the goal is and can only improve when he gets used to the rest of the team.He is only just 21 and must be worth a gamble,but I wasn't impressed with the other two though.
My man of the match would be Danny Marney,why did we let him go?.:drink:

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
I haven't seen any of them in action but from what i've been reading i have come to these conclusions...

Tankary sounds as if he has some good skill, perhaps he'd be worth trying in a creative/attacking midfield role?...

Molango appears to have that strikers instinct, 3 goals in 2 games is a fantastic start.

Kerekes is a big lad and they are always useful to have up front for the long balls...

I personally would like us to sign all 3.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
We have to sign Kerekes because has such a COOL name. He sounds like a European Champion and we're WINNERS.

spidey

Jun 17, 2004
B Hill
Purely on the basis of today's game:
Molango looks good & should be signed.
If that's how kerekes plays against a non-league defence when playing for a contract, don't think he's good enough.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Molango's first goal was superb. I stood in the home end and got a view of the way he turned the defender and hit the ball.
Sheer class. Don't think the other two will make it on today's showing.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
My impressions seem to be the same as most who were at the game today. Molango - yes please. Looks good. Forget the other two.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Molango and Kerekes for me... then go out and strengthen the midfield (winger and creative midfielder), and we're there... I would give the defence the lowest priority...

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Dear LI,

The Ar$egas probably only went OTT on the trialists in an attempt to stimulate interest from other clubs (mainly, Reading)!!... :lolol: :lolol:

Mandy Naylor Out!!...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here