Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are you or have you been a qualified ref?

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Stockdale should have been booked despite it being a foul. You don't get to berate the ref and wander off with the ball because you don't like a decision. The one thing I wish refs would deal with more often. Mouthing off at a ref should be an instant booking.

But if he had given the free kick like he should have done, none of that would have happened, was the point I was making.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I thought Stockdale got booked because he thought it was a free kick and went out to take it from where Ridgewell was shoved - the ref then thinking he was time wasting! Stockdale then berated the assistant ref for not indicating that it was not a foul clearly!

The ref booked him after he then picked up the ball and carried it as he walked back to his area, not because Stockdale thought it was a free kick. He was time wasting and showing dissent. No different to kicking the ball away.

jgmcdee

Mar 25, 2012
How has this thread managed to go for 5 hours without pointing out that it's objective not subjective?

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
The ref booked him after he then picked up the ball and carried it as he walked back to his area, not because Stockdale thought it was a free kick. He was time wasting and showing dissent. No different to kicking the ball away.

Okay, I blame Sky's poor coverage of tthat event, as the way I described it was how it appeared on TV to me.

Dawn Korus

Oct 17, 2010
Christmas Island
Yes qualified in 93 and reffed up until 2000. Reffed one of our SE counties games and booked Duncan McArthur. Did quite a few decent games including an FA vase 4th round game but as linesman. This was 3 games from the final

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Referee for 20yrs and yes Dunk's challenge was a pen. I would also clamp down on all the holding and backchat which I have never tolerated

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
How has this thread managed to go for 5 hours without pointing out that it's objective not subjective?

More importantly, for a match that was live on Sky, why has no one posted the relevant clips, ie Sidwell and the flailing elbow and Dunk's challenge?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Yes...gave it up after being asked to do a few Sunday league games. Wasn't worth the hassle .

I would have given a pen against dunk, however I would give a penalty very time we have a corner against us and Bruno tries to wrestle any player within a yard of him. How he gets away with it I have no idea

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I have expressed my disagreement with a referees decision many times, but only once did I witness a referee give decisions that made it appear that he had an interest in the result. Mr. Prosser

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Spot on. Was about to post the same. Stockdale pretty much forced the ref to book him.

In fact he could have booked him three times earlier in the incident - for rushing across to shout in the linesman's face, or for putting the ball down to take a free kick that he knew full well had not been given, or for shooting at him - before finally snapping once he walked away with the ball.

Players are now allowed to vent at the officials, and this is generally overlooked to reduce the number of cards.

Take from the an interview with Mike Riley:
Referees' chief Mike Riley has admitted top Barclays Premier League players are routinely allowed to get away with swearing at match officials.
Riley, general manager of the Professional Game Match Officials Limited, says that is why the number of cards shown for abuse or dissent has gone down.
TV cameras have frequently captured players swearing at officials, but Riley said: ‘There are very few reds for foul and abusive language because it depends on the way it is said.
‘If a player turns round after a decision saying, “**** off, ref” then it’s different from someone standing in front of you, staring, saying, “**** off”.
‘We have to understand the demands of the game at the highest level and the pressure that players are under. But levels of dissent have gone down.’

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
Referee a lot and have done for nearly 10 years. On the RA committee and I really enjoy it most of the time.

I've done some games which have been on the TV (LFCTV for example ) and academy games when you see players now in the first team it's good to look back on them.

Aiming to go as high as I can, having played football you talk to players in their language , get them onside and it's much easier to 'sell decisions' let the gme flow and you're away really!

Reffed at The Withdean and can't wait to do the Amex one day! Did some senior football lines when I was younger and it's bloody horrible when the crowd are right behind you! Much prefer being in the middle (and it's easier!!)

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
A mate of mine Mr Smith from Woking was a Ref in Non League and even got to Linesman standard in the Championship. He went for a medical at The Fa as they reguarly do and was found to have a Brain Tumour ,ended his career but saved his life.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Are you now or have you ever been a practising homosexual?

What, with these feet?

Sorry - that was all I could think of after reading the thread title.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here