Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are you one of those people that hear and song and almost instantly know the lyrics?

HarryNT

Kele is God
Dec 15, 2009
Yesterday as I was listening to songs with my girlfriend I noticed how she had somehow learnt all the words to a song I had only shown her for the first time earlier that day, when I still didn't know them having listened for years!

How do people pick up lyrics so easily?!

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Yes, yes I am. Islands in the Stream, Fade to grey, lady in red, my perfect cousin, blockbuster..... I know the words to a lot of cheesy songs

Last edited:

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
Yep, my colleague is often shocked at how many songs I know the lyrics too. Even if its a few years old. Clever these brain things, aren't they...

Sometimes I can even learn the lyrics before the end of the song. I don't know if thats down to me being clever, or the song being shit though.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Females pick up music lyrics and language quickly. Males are more likely to remember the tune or the main riff. This just proves that Buzzer is a PROPER metrosexual.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
I find myself singing along to tunes ive not heard in 30 years word for word..
Wish I could retain something that made more money...

HarryNT

Kele is God
Dec 15, 2009
Females pick up music lyrics and language quickly. Males are more likely to remember the tune or the main riff. This just proves that Buzzer is a PROPER metrosexual.

Nail on head id say. Certainly in general it seems that women pick up lyrics better but it isn't the rule. Some men can do it too :wink:

Spanish Seagulls

Nov 18, 2007
Ladbroke Grove
Wish I could retain something that made more money...

Same, can't remember peoples names but songs, even new ones I can finish the line before it's sung! ( That's probably because they're so predictable )

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
DJed for a very long time (compared to what age I am, obviously not Jimmy Saville definition of "long time") so I know a few thousand tracks by lyric snippets and probably know the full lyrics and exact timings of a thousand or so.

Can hear something twice and know all the words, five times and I'd be able to knock the tune out on a keyboard very accurately. I couldn't tell you where I left my car keys or the name of someone I met last week though!

Trash gritty sockers

Yesterday as I was listening to songs with my girlfriend I noticed how she had somehow learnt all the words to a song I had only shown her for the first time earlier that day, when I still didn't know them having listened for years!

How do people pick up lyrics so easily?!

BLEACHING SOCKS IN THE HOT SUN I FOUGHT THE INLAWS WHEN THE INLAWS COME, I LEFT MY GRAVY AND IT FEELS SO BAD,ITS THE BEST GRAVY THAT I EVER HAD!!!!!:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
Yup, me too - not quite on the same time scale, though. It's amazing how much easier it is to memorize words when they have a tune/rhythm behind them. Even a song I'll have heard perhaps a couple of times on the radio 5-10 years ago, listening again, I'll perhaps slightly recognise the opening tune then will somehow find myself reciting every single word along with it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here