Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Are YOU falling out of love with Roberto De Zerbi?

Are YOU falling out of love with Roberto De Zerbi?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mad as my Mother

May 21, 2013
Dorset
Not one bit of love lost for me.
He gave us our best ever season last year, resulting in Europe this year.
He slid on his knees as we tore Arsenal a new one, fell out with the awful referees along the way, he told the world that they can buy our players but can’t buy our souls.
He got us talked about across the globe with his style of play and raised the club’s profile hugely.
What’s not to love?

Blues Guitarist

Oct 19, 2020
St Johann in Tirol
I'll also blame it on officials for the third goal, which I remain convinced shouldn't have counted (for offside, IIRC). If they hadn't been counted, then I very much doubt they'd have scored their fourth, which came immediately after. We would have had a chance in the second leg if it were two nil, and would have probably approached that game somewhat differently.
On another day, Welbeck scores a hat trick, we come away with a 3-3 draw and RDZ is a hero.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I think with Solly's form before RDZ came in, it begged the question whether he was good enough to take us to the next level. A good player, but lets not pretend his finishing was any good. I think RDZ took him to a much better level. The only similar player I particularly credit with Potter improving was Dan Burn. I think the likes of Bissouma and Trossard always had quality (although I always thought (and still do) think Trossard is incredibly inconsistent) they would have always improved. Mac Allister was very inconsistent under Potter, until the very end.
The key difference is position. March is predictable as a left winger, but fine as an overlapping left back.

Where he’s at his best is as an inverted right sided forward. The stats back that up, and anyone that knows anything about football can see it.

Quite frankly, it’s amazing it took as long as it did for him to make that his position, albeit he had Knocky in front of him for a period, some bad injuries, and then Potter playing with wing backs…

But the potential was always there for those who’d seen him play that position in the Champ.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
On another day, Welbeck scores a hat trick, we come away with a 3-3 draw and RDZ is a hero.
:lol:

On 'another day'? Welbeck has scored ONE hat-trick in his entire 15 year year career. Chances were pretty slim!

He did have three presentable chances though - agreed. To be fair, he didn't do much wrong with the two headers - just two good saves from their keeper.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
Solly has long been my favourite player, probably starting when he was getting dogs abuse. I always favour the underdog! To my mind two things happened when RDZ arrived. He was approaching his most productive age as a player, 27/28? RDZ played him consistently on the RW. Those two things unlocked his potential we all knew he had but were frustrated with him up till then. Then he gets injured, again.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
If he changed his name to Giovanni Potterini then I don't see what the problem would be, tbh.
Giovanni Succhiatore di denti, shirley?

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
The key difference is position. March is predictable as a left winger, but fine as an overlapping left back.

Where he’s at his best is as an inverted right sided forward. The stats back that up, and anyone that knows anything about football can see it.

Quite frankly, it’s amazing it took as long as it did for him to make that his position, albeit he had Knocky in front of him for a period, some bad injuries, and then Potter playing with wing backs…

But the potential was always there for those who’d seen him play that position in the Champ.
However,... only 14 goals across 8 seasons is a very low outcome, however you try to stretch the mitigation of his position switches during that time..... I think Dunk has more goals during the same period, from centre half.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Solly has long been my favourite player, probably starting when he was getting dogs abuse. I always favour the underdog! To my mind two things happened when RDZ arrived. He was approaching his most productive age as a player, 27/28? RDZ played him consistently on the RW. Those two things unlocked his potential we all knew he had but were frustrated with him up till then. Then he gets injured, again.
Whilst playing left back!!

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
However,... only 14 goals across 8 seasons is a very low outcome, however you try to stretch the mitigation of his position switches during that time..... I think Dunk has more goals during the same period, from centre half.
But the mitigation about his position changes is valid. As soon as March was played in his best position by a manager who gave him the confidence to perform his stats have gone through the roof. That shows how much he was misused for a majority of his PL career (granted sometimes it was because we had limited options)

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
A valid point, but one that overlooks the context needed, I would argue.

There’s a reason wide forwards often play on their wrong foot now, and it’s because it has them going towards goal rather than staying wide, away from it.

March is good cover on the left, but he’s never been a natural out there. And he certainly doesn’t naturally come inside into the areas needed to score goals when he’s on that side.

Nope

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I just want a manager who wants to be here firstly. Then someone who doesn’t blame the chairman for their own shortcomings. Then, if being greedy, someone who has more than one plan according to how the game is going and/or opposition.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here