Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are You Being Served - 2016 Reboot

SicilianHungary

Dec 5, 2015
Can we have remakes (politically correct ones, of course!) of 'Love Thy Neighbour' and 'Mind Your Language' too?

You'd think with a more 'multi cultural society' and more international students that something like Mind Your Language would be as relevant today as it was in the 70s. I love watching it on YouTube, only 70s sitcom I've ever liked.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
"The BBC are also reportedly planning reboots of Porridge, The Good Life, Up Pompeii!, and Keeping Up Appearances as part of the landmark sitcom series"

Ye gods, what next? Fawlty Towers?

Noooooooooooo !!!!!!!!!!!!!

:tantrum:

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Kenny Everett was a genius. Not only a superb DJ but have a look at the Bee Gees sketch. Or the Rod Stewart 'Do You Think I'm Sexy' sketch.

John Byrnes Mullet

Global Circumnavigator
Oct 4, 2004
Brighton
Never really worked in the first place did it? Was always a bit cringeworthy, the kind of shallow unfunny crap like Dick Emery or Kenny Everett that your parents made you watch under the guise of Peak Time Light Entertainment. Even as a kid you knew that much.

You obvioulsy don't understand British Humour. Kenny Everett, Dick Emery where very clever comedians and under great restrictions in the humour they could give us in the good olde days with the toffs in charge at the Beeb.

Can't wait for a remake of Are You Being Served, I am sure the former cast would have loved to make a remake but not possible. I was recently abroad with some friends from America and NZ and we watched a couple of episodes of Are You Being Served and they didn't stop laughing from start to finish.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
just isnt going to work in this PC age is it?

of those other old classics, the Good Life might work, not sure the charaters exactly, but the back ground situation would have some relevance. could reset it with DFLs in the country, a small holding adjacent to a richer than you pop up glamping site or somthing.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Cannot see a 21st Century series working... We live in different times. It will either be modern PC , or late night smut.
The original air of innocence is what made it funny... Same goes for all the other great comedy shows of the past .
NB I have sadly lost the tape of the radio show "Around The Horn" . You have to be old to remember that. Hilarious on hearing now as an adult, when I was a kid it was still funny but I was too young to get the double entendre of the jokes... It worked on all levels...
Nostalgia rules...

D

Deleted User X18H

It is further rumoured the BBC are approaching NSC to provide the characters

Ernest as Mr Rumbold
Beachhut - Mr Humphries
HB&B Mr Lucas
Bombardier Botty - Mrs Slocombe
Frutos - Miss Brahms
Bozza - Captain Peacock
HItony - Young Mr Grace

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Never really worked in the first place did it? Was always a bit cringeworthy, the kind of shallow unfunny crap like Dick Emery or Kenny Everett that your parents made you watch under the guise of Peak Time Light Entertainment. Even as a kid you knew that much.
dick emery was SUPERB viewing !

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Oooòoh you are awful...........but I like you !!

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
In the canteen whilst eating their dinner, they would all cram down one side of the long table rather than sit around it because it was filmed live on a stage and they had to face the audience.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
It is further rumoured the BBC are approaching NSC to provide the characters

Ernest as Mr Rumbold
Beachhut - Mr Humphries
HB&B Mr Lucas
Bombardier Botty - Mrs Slocombe
Frutos - Miss Brahms
Bozza - Captain Peacock
HItony - Young Mr Grace

And HB&B will provide the series title: 'Are you?, Being Severed'