Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are you a wealth creator or paid from tax receipts?

Slowhand

Aug 24, 2005
Near Lewes
One of the huge ironys of any recession is that those most at risk of unemployment are typically in the private sector were the wealth is created, and not in the public sector which is funded by tax income.

Too many of those in the public sector think they are recession proof because they are paid by 'the government' to service the populace. There are undoubtedly public servants who add real value, then there are the myriad of others who simply ride the tax merry-go-round of jobs begetting jobs.

When the weath creators are paying less tax, surely we need less public employees to manage and spend it.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I'm paid by tax.

I work in a University and I am not recession-proof. I have been told that my employment will end on March 3st. This is because the University is heading for a £5/6million budget defecit and need to reduce staff costs to save as much money as they can.

Last edited:

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
Mmm, I'm in the Public sector and I really do not feel secure in a job. You will have seen that 25,000 jobs are still being cut in HM Customs & Revenue, that 11,000 jobs in the Ministry of Justice are still being cut. Plus, the Chancellor has already said that he is looking for £5bn in effciency savings, which in the public sector means job cuts.

I think the last bit of your sentence says it all i.e "to manage and spend it" Yes I am being paid out of tax receipts, but my salary is currently being spent in the private sector. As an example I am currently having my kitchen done. I have a joiner who is doing it. If I was on the dole, I certainly wouldn't be having that done.

So if I was on the dole, not only do I suffer, but so does the joiner, so does the kitchen company that provide the units, so does the garage that services my car, so does the milkman that deliver my milk, so does the local pub that I buy drinks from and so on and ultimately you as a tax payer for paying my benefits to do nothing.

Multiply that by thousands.

At a time of recession, you want people like me to spend. There is a case for cutting the public service in times of boom, becuase there is no need for fiscal stimulus of public servants spending, but right now its madness to do that.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
You've essentially hit upon the fundemental differnece between Labour and the Conservatives. Labour will spend more and so have more public servants while Tories will spend less and so have less public servants.

BTW I'm a public servant involved in helping business grow. Not sure if that makes me good or bad?

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
As someone who works in the Private Sector, but whose wife works for WSCC I see both sides of this.

First of all, there has to be a clear split here in how you class Public Sector Workers - those that work in essential services (Fire/Hospitals etc) compared to Civil Servants in National /Local Government etc...

My first question is if the Chancellor thinks that he can make £5bn savings in the Public Sector then why wait until now to do this? Why has this money been spent (wasted) in the past if it can be saved now?

My wife who previously worked in the Private Sector cannot believe the sheer amount waste in the Public Sector - in her words some of these people need to go out and work in the real world to realise the gravy train that they are on.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
As someone who works in the Private Sector, but whose wife works for WSCC I see both sides of this.

First of all, there has to be a clear split here in how you class Public Sector Workers - those that work in essential services (Fire/Hospitals etc) compared to Civil Servants in National /Local Government etc...

My first question is if the Chancellor thinks that he can make £5bn savings in the Public Sector then why wait until now to do this? Why has this money been spent (wasted) in the past if it can be saved now?

My wife who previously worked in the Private Sector cannot believe the sheer amount waste in the Public Sector - in her words some of these people need to go out and work in the real world to realise the gravy train that they are on.

The £5bn efficiency savings are on top of the £35bn already identified and saved. I can

Slowhand

Aug 24, 2005
Near Lewes

I suspect that there are many in the public sector who have no real comprehension of what it takes to survive in the private sector. I have met several people from the public sector who would not survive for more than a couple of days in a commercial environment. I am sure that there are many capable civil servants but I'm afraid that a lot of local and national government employees seem to manage to get through by just keeping their head down because so much of what they are measured by is subjective.

This is not a pop at any particular party or sector but I do think some people need to recognise that there is far more uncertainty and job instability when you are at the sharp end of the economic environment.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Mmm, I'm in the Public sector and I really do not feel secure in a job. You will have seen that 25,000 jobs are still being cut in HM Customs & Revenue, that 11,000 jobs in the Ministry of Justice are still being cut. Plus, the Chancellor has already said that he is looking for £5bn in effciency savings, which in the public sector means job cuts.

dont believe the half of it. most of those "jobs" are unfilled positions and likewise the savings come from unspent budgets getting cut. ie planed expansions and wishlists get pulled. Its virtually imposible for actual filled civil service jobs to get cut with the unions power over Labour. those workers are just voters they are more often than not paying subs that go towards funding Labour. im not saying there is no public sector job cuts coming, just the headlines dont tell the whole story.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Paid by taxes.
But as I am a tax payer too, I guess that makes me self-employed...?

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
but even if you are paid with taxes you are still spending your money on other things so really you are helping the economy via the multiplier effect.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here