Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Are we safe already

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Yes, of course they can. They might not have much talent but they do have the right attitude and they’re prepared to fight for points. The only banker defeats there are City, Liverpool and United. I’d give them a chance of at least a draw in all the others. Having said that, they won’t get results in all of them because they’re Cardiff. If I had to predict, I’d have them down for about 34 as it stands.

Agree totally, they are very unpredictable and what they have proven so far is that their lack of individual skill is somewhat compensated by their drive to play and go for it. Often it is who wants it most that wins games not pretty football.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yes, of course they can. They might not have much talent but they do have the right attitude and they’re prepared to fight for points. The only banker defeats there are City, Liverpool and United. I’d give them a chance of at least a draw in all the others. Having said that, they won’t get results in all of them because they’re Cardiff. If I had to predict, I’d have them down for about 34 as it stands.

If than pans out, what an incredible thought that we only need a win and draw to stay up, when it’s still the beginning of March and we’ve been dire.

Aided by three really awful PL teams, for the second season running.

I hope TB invests well in first team players this summer, as we can’t bank on the same next season.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
We could easily get lucky by staying up with 34 or 35 but if Huddersfield and Cardiff go down this summer we’ve lost two of the guaranteed strugglers for next season. If they’re replaced by Leeds and Norwich then I wouldn’t have either of those down as a definite relegation candidate so it could all catch up with us next season unless, as you say, we significantly strengthen.

Lots lf chaff has been removed from the the PL in recent seasons. The debt ridden basket cases of Villa and Sunderland, finally got their comeuppance. Swansea, Hull and Hudd struggled to compete financially.

Yep, time for TB to improve the first team.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
... if you think we're in the same position as Huddersfield - who are in deep shit - okey-doke, whatever.
Huddersfield aren't in deep shit, they're in the Championship.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
We could easily get lucky by staying up with 34 or 35 but if Huddersfield and Cardiff go down this summer we’ve lost two of the guaranteed strugglers for next season. If they’re replaced by Leeds and Norwich then I wouldn’t have either of those down as a definite relegation candidate so it could all catch up with us next season unless, as you say, we significantly strengthen.

Shouldnt we just channel our efforts into this season at the moment, then worry about next season in the summer.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Agreed. If we say Fulham, Huddersfield and Cardiff go down and are replaced by Leeds, Norwich and one other who would we be targeting as the three teams we can finish above next season? Obviously you’d assume at least one of the promoted teams will be down there (although none of them look like bankers to me at this stage) but who else is there? Bournemouth seem to have the signs of a team that’s starting to find life a little tougher, maybe Palace if they lost Zaha, Burnley’s 19th century football has to fail at some point. But that’s not many contenders and I’d have us down as more likely than any of them as it stands.

Unfortunately CP keep spending, their wages and squad cost figures are eye watering, plus borrowing matchwinners each season from top clubs. Whoring them a guaranteed mid tabke finish come each May.

You’d think Brighton, Burnley, Stains and Buff are always going to be in the bottom 7 mix.

Would love it TB took a significant incremental step this summer, to keep us out of that stressful pack.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Unfortunately CP keep spending, their wages and squad cost figures are eye watering, plus borrowing matchwinners each season from top clubs. Whoring them a guaranteed mid tabke finish come each May.

You’d think Brighton, Burnley, Stains and Buff are always going to be in the bottom 7 mix.

Would love it TB took a significant incremental step this summer, to keep us out of that stressful pack.

We'd have to increase our wage cap for starters, which would mean we'd need to bring in someone of significant quality enough to justify not giving raises to any current players in turn.

Rumours of match highest earner clauses will also be troublesome. Beyond that we would need to show real ambition to tempt players into signing.

That will be the 'next step' if ever there is one. Otherwise we can expect season after season of similar fortunes with perhaps the odd outlier before inevitable relegation.

I have a feeling we will be sticking to the current approach though, with very slow increments. Which is no bad thing, it got us this far.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
We'd have to increase our wage cap for starters, which would mean we'd need to bring in someone of significant quality enough to justify not giving raises to any current players in turn.

Rumours of match highest earner clauses will also be troublesome. Beyond that we would need to show real ambition to tempt players into signing.

That will be the 'next step' if ever there is one. Otherwise we can expect season after season of similar fortunes with perhaps the odd outlier before inevitable relegation.

I have a feeling we will be sticking to the current approach though, with very slow increments. Which is no bad thing, it got us this far.

Agreed.

This summer, I’d rather we bought in one Mitrovic type and a CM creator who can run PL games, on the wages the other clubs are prepared to pay, than another large bundle of £5m to £17m players. (I am aware than we do get great value sometimes e.g. Andone).

theboybilly

I think that Cardiff will get a maximum 6 possibly 7 more points especially if Sol Bamber is out for any length of time. A win for us against Cardiff will send them down with Fulham and Huddersfield

I don't know how much you've seen of Bamba lately but I would suggest his absence is a positive for Cardiff. Against Watford alone he went missing for 4 of their goals. I really don't know what Warnock sees in him

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Huddersfield aren't in deep shit, they're in the Championship.

Apologies for hijacking thread.
Screenshot_20190304-170614_Chrome.jpg

This is the image, but this is copied from Meds Facebook page :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here