Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are we REALLY playing long-ball?

Maybe it is just a different approach to playing passing football. Gus forced them to pass from day 1 whether they were comfortable with it or not and seemed to go nuts on the side if they didn't. Maybe Oscar is letting them do their own thing more if they feel uneasy, hence a few longer balls than usual, and will either coach them to get better off the pitch or replace them slowly when the right players come available. Pure speculation.

This is a perfectly rational post, and I agree with it. At times I thought some of our players really didn't look comfortable with the ball at their feet.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Greer for one, and Agustedenyarnstein

Kush was kicking long from his hands quite a lot more than previously. Greer lumped several up the pitch as well.
But I think, and hope, it is more due to the players getting used to each other and a slightly different system than it being a deliberate tactical thing.
Is that the same Greer that spent all of last season sending 60 yard passes down the channel for Bridge to chase?
Is that the same Kush regularly turned on for Kush to Greer to Bridge to Upson to Kush to Calde to Kush to Bridcutt?
Is that the same Kemy would apparently didn't complete one accurate pass?

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Long ball is probably a bit harsh but the players have certainly been told to get it forward quicker. It is clear some players are better at this that others and there were countless balls knocked forward that players almost seemed to have rushed forward with little or no consideration to if it will reach one of our players.

I still believe we will end up somewhere between the more pedestrian possession style of last season and more attacking intent. At the moment we have probably gone to the other extreme but think with time Oscar will get us to the happy medium we all want to see

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
In all fairness, these long balls aren't unaimlessly kicked. I remember Greer's longball to Bridge who crossed it to Orlandi who then scored that marvelous goal against Newcastle. As long as there's a reason for the long ball, I don't have a problem.

Teams like Stoke and West Ham were notoriously lumping it up the field for anyone to pick up. These long balls will open us up to a new style of play which will enable CMS to take advantage of. Ulloa loves headers, so I think we can open up the wings more for then crosses to come in for these too.

This style of play is a lot different to what we're use to, so I'd imagine it's hard for players to get use to straight after Poyet's regime of small and patient build up.

mac04

Nov 15, 2011
RH12
I didn't see too many long balls. Anyway, long balls are not always bad. Remember Bruno's pass to Buckley for the second goal (or third) against Wednesday last year.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
One thing is for sure. We've had more shots from outside the area in the last 4 games than we've had in the last 4 years.

And that is a true fact.

BHAZiggy

Pedant
Jan 12, 2011
Hastings
It reminded me of the way West Ham played against us when they visited 2 seasons ago. It is not as pretty as Gus's style but I suspect that it will result in more shots on goal over the season.

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
There were several occasions where Kush kicked if down the middle to Ulloa for the flick on or lay off. The two wide men we were playing then tried to get the 2nd ball, unfortunately the ball went straight to Derby and possession lost. Definitely Ulloa has players nearer to him and the front three inter change positions more, so given time things will improve. Long range shooting is an improvement.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If we lose every game but Rohan Ince 'traction engines' a 30 yarder, I'll end the season happy :lolol:

NO - We are not playing long-ball. We are just playing a much harder version of passing football that demands way more from the players in terms of skill. And we are playing it badly, so it looks dreadful and long-ball-ish.

Gus knew his players and their limits - Oscar is still finding out about what they can do but I hope he learns quickly because, unlike others on here happy to have a nothing season, I don't think we should be wasting the progress we made last year under Gus

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Despite being a season-ticket holder, I have not yet made it to a game this season for varying reasons. Anyway, I have now heard several murmurings that we are playing a long-ball game. Is this hyperbolic nonsense, or is it true?

If true.... WHAT THE ACTUAL F*CK?

Come off it Chesney - you have not seen us and start a panic thread ?

Of course the answer is No. The manager has not established his style of play - but it is not the control the game by possession of the football we have been used to. but it is too early to make any definitive statements about how we are going to play.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
There were a few longer balls, which was a nice variation.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Listening on Player there appears to be a new signing playing for us. I think he played a couple of times last season, but this season he is getting shots off at goal a lot. I keep hearing stuff like Barnes to Ulloa to some one else and then too............................... Ooo Just wide, whoever he is.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Listening on Player there appears to be a new signing playing for us. I think he played a couple of times last season, but this season he is getting shots off at goal a lot. I keep hearing stuff like Barnes to Ulloa to some one else and then too............................... Ooo Just wide, whoever he is.

It was quite possibly a shot by Derby. Seagulls player has you thinking that we are attacking and a few seconds later we have conceded or had a shot whizz over or past OUR post :lolol:

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
We need to practice the long ball options now so when CMS is back it works out perfect for him all the time

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
No. Nonsense. Just moving the ball quicker and, as a result, currently losing it more often.

i feel we are hoofing the ball forward now

I'm not sure Mark, there was a bit more in the way of "longer passes" on Saturday but the players are adapting to Oscar's style and are probably a bit less comfortable when trying to impress the new boss.

All will be well.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Agustien tried the direct cross field gerard-type pass quite a few times, kuszczak booted it most of the time. Both lost possession too often. Hopefully that's just about getting used to the team/style of play or match fitness.

Gordon the Gopher

Jul 16, 2003
Hove
For most of the game Derby had a high line of 3 players preventing us playing it out from the back. Usually Bridcutt would come and collect to get round this but often we were forced to go longer as no-one could do this as well which partly explains it. It's the usual thing; last year we were all clamoring for a plan B when our passing game wasn't allowed to work and now we are mixing it up more, some people are still moaning. Ironically the attack from which Leo hit the post was very direct so it can work!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here