Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are we really getting in a huff over Stephen Ward?

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Yes.

The only reason anyone is concern about anything to do with Brighton is our inability to sign Stephen Ward.

:dunce:

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
No strop here, I said a while back we needed to move on and look at other left backs.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Chicksen looked much better second half against Cheltenham when he had Lua Lua in front of him and a certain midfielder stopped telling him what to do who can't cross a ball to save his life ! And should focus on his own game. Not mentioning names as I only praise players in public.

storer

Nov 28, 2010
Can't agree. Ward was excellent last season and with Upson was the reason why our defence was so mean.

Even if he isn't your cup of tea, it would be ridiculous to say that he was just an average squad player.

Not an average squad player...an average Championship player...and I don't believe that is our 'Ambition'

Would much prefer to see, like I said a young premier league full back, or us spend money on a full back who can make the spot his own for the next few years

examples being...

Wisdom at Derby last year
Trippier at Burnley
Ward at Palace (just chucked my guts up admitting it)

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
I think in reality no need to panic about it. There are other left backs. People are more in a flap as the window has seen a lot leave and little come in return.
However there is time yet for this window to be a great one. The next 16 days will tell.

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
I liked Ward last season and was hoping we could sign him. I now look forward to seeing who our board have lined up as a replacement as I'm sure with the way we have messed about this summer with signing a left back we must have other equally good options on the radar. Surely we didn't have all our eggs in one basket and a signing of equal quality can be made swiftly so we can all move on. I live in hope but fear we may have dicked around so much with this that there is no plan B or possibly Ward was the plan B which is why this took so long to not be resolved.
Any opposing manager with half a brain will see we have no quality left back and exploit that, I feel until that hole is adequately plugged that points are going to be hard to come by. Playing a right back in the left back position is not a suitable alternative.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Reminds me of everyone getting wound up about Joe Mattock. Ward's nothing special.

kemptown kid

Apr 17, 2011
Ward a very decent player, but not a game changer and we certainly don't need to pay 10,00 plus p.w. for players who don't really want to be here. Give Chicksen a run of games - he's speedy and skilful and will only get better with matches. Hughes or Caldy could step in if Chicksen proves to be out of his depth.

Agreed it would only be a disaster if we had to play Chicksen regularly, Calderon is an OK fill-in.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
As gutted as I am with us failing AGAIN with a target I still maintain that Chicksen suits Sami's style of play more than Ward. Ward is a better defender but Chicksen has the pace and ability to play that wing back role quite well IMO. He just needs a run of games.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Has he definitely signed for Burnley yet? How would anybody feel if he listened to their offer, but decided that he still wanted to play for the Albion (just speculation)?

sllugaes

Dec 15, 2012
Are we all really getting in a strop because Stephen Ward, the 27 year old left back is off to Burnley?

Yes he played well last year to fill the gap, as a loanee, but offer him a three year deal and I think our opinions of him would of quickly matched those of Wolves fans a few years ago...

He was playing to prove a point last year.

Id personally rather see a young Left back on loan, who like Ward last year, has a point to prove

Just because we have lost players, I don't want to see us piece together an ageing/average squad just to shut the moaning fans up. Ie Dobbie and Kemy

Keep the faith

When you say "you personally rather see a young left back on loan", what are we doing with Chicksen? Is he not strong enough? for me pacey, solid left foot, appears strong in the tackle, and provides some width, maybe! tactical naïve, positional, although what is wrong with him? If we are not going to play him, does he become in the same mould as Maksimenko, ((fringe)) - something is missing from them being a true first team left back. Why are they on our books then.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here