Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are we really building a squad?

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
what's the score with Toko....?? i know you are reasonably well informed and don't spout bollarks...! serious question...seemed like an exciting signing ...not settled ..? rubbish..?

He's supposed to be a good pro but has not stood out during run outs with the Under 21's and can't break into the weakest first team midfield for 4 years. He's another Burke buy and on a 3 year deal so hopefully he can progress as it may be hard to shift him under contract.

David Baboulene

Windy Bloke
Jan 1, 2013
Brighton
If you take this squad: Stockdale; Bruno, Greer, Dunk, J. Bennett; Ince, JFC; Solly, McCourt, LuaLua; Bent. That is a seriously competitive line-up with TWO loaners, and players like Walton, Taxi & Calde on the bench and Stephens and Crofts to come. This is FINE! Excellent, even. With a couple of great loans for top quality, I think this is a return to 'business-as-usual'. Without loans we wouldn't have had Bridge: the best player I've seen in a Brighton shirt. Used wisely loans get premiership edge into the team.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
If you take this squad: Stockdale; Bruno, Greer, Dunk, J. Bennett; Ince, JFC; Solly, McCourt, LuaLua; Bent. That is a seriously competitive line-up with TWO loaners, and players like Walton, Taxi & Calde on the bench and Stephens and Crofts to come. This is FINE! Excellent, even. With a couple of great loans for top quality, I think this is a return to 'business-as-usual'. Without loans we wouldn't have had Bridge: the best player I've seen in a Brighton shirt. Used wisely loans get premiership edge into the team.

I'm not against loans in any way so long as the squad evolves rather than see-sawing.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Here is a stat that worries me, we have signed 26 players since Gus left and yet each week the team has a majority of Gus signings still in the side. A few of these are getting on now, but it appears we are still unable to find better who can displace these players. How much have these 26 cost the club?

Add Forster Caskey, Ince with Calderon, CMS, Walton on the bench all Gus signings.

Go back a week against Blackburn and you had Dunk, Greer, Calderon, Forster Caskey, LuaLua, Ince, Walton in the side and Ankergran on the bench.

You can add to that Fenelon, Harris, Maksimenko, Walton, Rae all in the current first team squad on the official site.
All these player's listed signed by Gus, I make that 16

What an utterly bizarre argument. To attempt to label JFC, Ince, Walton, Dunk, Fenelon, Harris, Maksimenko and Rae as "Gus signings" is ridiculous.

For instance, when Walton was signed, this quote was in the official announcement - Albion Sign Christian Walton

Albion goalkeeper coach Andy Beasley has been impressed by Walton’s approach to the game and is looking forward to developing him as a player.

He told seagulls.co.uk, “I’m delighted to get him signed up. The scouting system did a great job in highlighting him so I went to watch him and straight away I was impressed by him.

Head of football operations David Burke added, “We’ve brought in some very talented young players during the past few months and the arrival of Christian again highlights the positive strides we are making for the future.

“Rohan Ince, Emil Asmundsson and Vitalijs Maksimenko all have a lot of potential so we looking forward to helping them develop, and Christian is exactly the same.

If you think Gus played any significant role in identifying and signing Walton (as opposed to our recruitment team) I think you are deluded. The same goes for Ince and Maksimenko.

All of JFC, Dunk, Fenelon, Harris and Rae were with the club before Poyet joined.

There were certainly some very good players that signed during Poyet's reign, and I'm sure he played a personal role in identifying many of them (or persuading them to sign), but your apparent need to completely discredit our football operations department does you no credit whatsoever.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
What an utterly bizarre argument. To attempt to label JFC, Ince, Walton, Dunk, Fenelon, Harris, Maksimenko and Rae as "Gus signings" is ridiculous.

For instance, when Walton was signed, this quote was in the official announcement - Albion Sign Christian Walton

If you think Gus played any significant role in identifying and signing Walton (as opposed to our recruitment team) I think you are deluded. The same goes for Ince and Maksimenko.

All of JFC, Dunk, Fenelon, Harris and Rae were with the club before Poyet joined.

There were certainly some very good players that signed during Poyet's reign, and I'm sure he played a personal role in identifying many of them (or persuading them to sign), but your apparent need to completely discredit our football operations department does you no credit whatsoever.

This.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton

One question.
Are we not told that all players brought into the squad have to be approved by the manager, Yes or No?

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
One question.
Are we not told that all players brought into the squad have to be approved by the manager, Yes or No?

Into the first team squad - yes, of course the manager will have the final say.

But none of the eight players I mentioned in post #48 were signed for the first team squad; they were signed for the development squad.

In Naylor's article about the reasons for Garcia's departure that ran a day or two after his exit, he categorically stated that Oscar had no involvement in the signing of Monakana. And when we signed Kandi a few weeks ago, Chike himself stated that Simon Ireland had seen him when Albion played WBA; Ireland had contacted Mark Anderson, academy recruitment manager, who had subsequently contacted Kandi's mum and he came to Albion on trial (despite having an offer from West Brom on the table). To suggest, therefore, that Kandi would be a "Hyypia signing" would be to completely misunderstand how the recruitment process works.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Gus built a squad.
Garcia dismantled it.
Hyppia is just randomly throwing teamsheets together.

We're on a hiding to League One unless we get in a proven, quality manager who we allow to build a squad. Sticking with SH is just pride coming before the fall for Bloom.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here