Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are we looking for a new DoF?

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Baby out with the bathwater, issue was with the ludicrously inexperienced, inept & inert Hyypia.
Powers that be trying to disguise their own dreadful managerial appointment by throwing in a red herring & get people off THIS topic
If we go a few unbeaten to add to the last two with the same squad would they have made the same rush to judgement call @ end of Jan?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Can you explain why it's a lot, not a bit (sincere question BTW). I always assumed the most significant of Burke's roles was leading player scouting and recruitment, but that itself can change depending on how much say TB/PB give to the manager. For example, it looked on the outside like Sami was given more of a say than Oscar, but I couldn't be sure. And now Paul Winstanley will "head the club’s network of scouts and work with the new manager to drive the Seagulls’ recruitment" - which is the same thing. I expect Chris will have the final say, but then I think Sami would have too.

My understanding is Burke's role included (in addition to player recruitment), the academy / player development, performance analysis, women's football, and a few other things besides. I presume these other elements can be absorbed into existing employee's jobs, but maybe a new hire required? For me, the key point is that our manager now takes the lead in player recruitment, supported by Paul Winstanley. Once Gus left, it seems to me Burke took far too much of a lead in our player recruitment. I'm sure this issue has now been addressed.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
For me, the key point is that our manager now takes the lead in player recruitment, supported by Paul Winstanley.
Have we been told that Sami wasn't to take the lead in player recruitment, but the Hughton will? I don't think we have, but if that's the case, I'd agree with you, that's the significant part.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Could David Burke turn up at Palace as they are looking for a new D.o.F to replace Moody.
Burke worked with Pardew for a short time at Southampton. Go agent Burke. go and destroy.:lolol:

Probably be a case of everything he touches turns to gold,give it 6 months and they would have plucked the next Ronaldo from some obscure club worth £100m.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
PB interview on Player:

Paul Winstanley head of player identification.
PB, CH, PW and TB to work together on recruitment.
The whole structure of that side of the club is under review, so PB not sure if DB will be replaced or not. Review will effectively take place after the window as that is more important at moment.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Have we been told that Sami wasn't to take the lead in player recruitment, but the Hughton will? I don't think we have, but if that's the case, I'd agree with you, that's the significant part.

No. Not as bluntly as that. However, Burke's removal was completed to clear the way for a more experienced manager to take the lead in player recruitment. We now have a more experienced manager, and the recruitment team is confirmed as Hughton (more experienced than Sami, including WRT recruitment), Winstanley (less senior than Burke), Bloom (financial input, I presume).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here