Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Are we having more "BIG games" this season than last?

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Villa totally out sung us and it lifted the Villa team no end. We simply have to improve on our noise from that night as it really wasn't good in comparison and set the tone for what happened on the pitch.

We can go top tonight, TOP !

Massive game.

Neck a pint and give it a go. Players need us tonight

Stuart Munday

Jul 6, 2003
Saltdean
Southern killed the atmosphere for the Villa game, took me an hour and a half to get to the ground and was shattered after a days work, at least I got there in time, there were thousands behind me and a lot turned up late for the game.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Villa totally out sung us and it lifted the Villa team no end. We simply have to improve on our noise from that night as it really wasn't good in comparison and set the tone for what happened on the pitch.

Massive game.

Can't neck a pint as Southern Failway has FORCED me to drive :nono:

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I think the reason is that expectations are higher this year.

It wasn't really until pretty late in the season last year that I thought automatic promotion was realistic and the start was just a bit of a bonus. I've been thinking automatic promotion is realistic for some time already now.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Contemplating tonight's game, I don't remember as many BIG games from the first half of last season. Maybe that's just me.

We need a big atmosphere tonight - think Norwich rather than Villa. Be on top of your game please.

Last season we had no level of expectation, and were enjoying the ride after narrowly missing relegation the season before. It slowly changed when we realised we were only winning by one goal, or drawing games we should have won.

This season, there's a greater dose of pressure we've put upon ourselves, so every game, if we're to stay ahead of third place, is a big game.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013

Massive game.

I didn't hear a peak out of villa after we scored

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Totally agree with our overlord about the necessity of us making that noise in the hope of inspiring the team.
I also agree with SHC that expectations are that much higher this season.
What hasn't been mentioned on this thread is that, unlike last season, ticket sales (rather than necessarily attendances) are that much higher. This will be our fourth game in a row that's either a sell-out or close to that (with a fifth to follow: check out the availability for the QPR game) and, in that sense at least, there have been more big games so far this season. I'd be surprised if too many future home games aren't close to being sell outs (the Burton offer seems to be having some effect already, for instance). Having been to Fulham on the last two away trips, Jan 2nd will be even busier. Let's hope what happens on the pitch can be similarly joyful.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Great noise and atmosphere. First time I've really noticed the West stand leading with a decent burst of Albiiiiiiionnnnn in the second half. Good work by all!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Not a big game tonight.

Decent of Leeds to give us a second gear warm-up before the proper tests ahead.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Atmosphere was dire tonight

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
This. Safe standing can't come any sooner to be honest, so the noisy lot can congregate. The North appears to be full of sit down with yer binoculars types and kids.

You know it's bad when the West are starting the songs :facepalm:

It amazes me people think it was good tonight. Even Leeds took the piss out of us. It was shit

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
It amazes me people think it was good tonight. Even Leeds took the piss out of us. It was shit
Not great by our high standards. Affected by a very easy win without any controversy.

Atmosphere was not, however, "shit". Compared to most grounds in the country the general noise/buzz and singing from the home stands was more like "not bad".

2,500 pissed up Leeds fans would normally completely dominate the noise in a ground and that didn't happen (can be checked on TV broadcast...).

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This. Safe standing can't come any sooner to be honest, so the noisy lot can congregate. The North appears to be full of sit down with yer binoculars types and kids.

You know it's bad when the West are starting the songs :facepalm:
We never sang when standing was just standing, we don't sing when sat down, why should it be any different when it safe standing?

FWIW I think recently the AMEX atmosphere has been pretty good, just not last night.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here