[Albion] Are we as good as I think we are?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

deslynhamsmoustache1

Apr 25, 2010
RAF Tangmere
Your comparison is not like for like. Man City were taken over in September 2008, the week that we knocked them out of the League Cup on penalties at Withdean.

In the next two transfer windows they spent £141.62 million on players and sold £23.85m, leaving them with a transfer fee balance of -£117.77m.
In the two transfer windows since their takeover, Newcastle have spent £150.39m and taken nothing in sales, leaving them with a current transfer fee balance of -£159.39m. That will become -£210.39m if the spend £60m on this striker.

As, in their first two transfer windows City spent only 56% of what Newcastle will have spent, it is not really possible to argue that Newcastle haven't spent the big bucks.

Incidentally, the signings of Mendy for £51.75m and Walker for £47.43m were made in the summer of 2017, nine years after the City take over. During that nine years City had won two league titles and, at the end of the previous season, had just had 6 consecutive top four finishes, meaning 6 consecutive Champions League qualifications. To take these two two full back signings into account in a comparison, you would have to be looking at what Newcastle will be spending in the winter of the 2030/31 season.

I think we all have a good idea how this is going to go. Last season it was about survival and steadying the ship. This season is about finishing just inside/outside the top 6
then they will really start spending silly money going for it in 24/25/26, with some of the best players in the world arriving at St James park.
Its important not to underestimate the hierarchy that exists in the Arab world.
The Saudi's have always seen themselves as the kings of the middle east and will stop at nothing to nock their near neighbours off the top spot. With an every growing fund,(250 billion +), combined with a beating chest full of pride, they have the ammunition and will to do this. Burn, Woods and co will be moved on in 18 months as they simply will not be good enough to fuel the beast. Will Howe last? I think we all know the answer to that as well.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I think we all have a good idea how this is going to go. Last season it was about survival and steadying the ship. This season is about finishing just inside/outside the top 6, then they will
really start spending silly money going for it in 24/25/26, with some of the best players in the world arriving at St James park.
Its important not to underestimate the hierarchy that exists in the Arab world.
The Saudi's have always seen themselves as the kings of the middle east and will stop at nothing to nock their near neighbours off the top spot. With an every growing fund,(250 billion +), combined with a beating chest full of pride, they have the ammunition and will to do this. Burn, Woods and co will be moved on in 18 months as they simply will not be good enough to fuel the beast. Will Howe last? I think we all know the answer to that as well.

They ‘bought’ world golf and will think nothing of usurping the rest of European/UK clubs by cheating.

Expect to see colossal commercial income with sponsors who happen to be variations on the Saudi state. Little old Newcastle will almost overnight be a sponsorship draw supposedly bigger than Manure, Bayern, Barca and Real.

Citeh and PSG have cheated in this exact way, the Saudis will take it up a notch.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
They ‘bought’ world golf and will think nothing of usurping the rest of European/UK clubs by cheating.

Expect to see colossal commercial income with sponsors who happen to be variations on the Saudi state. Little old Newcastle will almost overnight be a sponsorship draw supposedly bigger than Manure, Bayern, Barca and Real.

Citeh and PSG have cheated in this exact way, the Saudis will take it up a notch.
You say that like it’s a bad thing.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
You say that like it’s a bad thing.

:lolol:

Every time this happens and it will happen again and again, the Albion long term will fall down the natural hierarchy. We’re punching above our weight just now due to a wonderfully clever trio of TB/PB/GP. That can’t last forever.

It makes our chances (and other clubs playing by the rules) of say European football or a League Cup win ever more distant.

I envisage Gold/Sullivan being the next who sell to a money laundering billionaire/state.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Your comparison is not like for like. Man City were taken over in September 2008, the week that we knocked them out of the League Cup on penalties at Withdean.

In the next two transfer windows they spent £141.62 million on players and sold £23.85m, leaving them with a transfer fee balance of -£117.77m.
In the two transfer windows since their takeover, Newcastle have spent £150.39m and taken nothing in sales, leaving them with a current transfer fee balance of -£159.39m. That will become -£210.39m if the spend £60m on this striker.

As, in their first two transfer windows City spent only 56% of what Newcastle will have spent, it is not really possible to argue that Newcastle haven't spent the big bucks.

Incidentally, the signings of Mendy for £51.75m and Walker for £47.43m were made in the summer of 2017, nine years after the City take over. During that nine years City had won two league titles and, at the end of the previous season, had just had 6 consecutive top four finishes, meaning 6 consecutive Champions League qualifications. To take these two two full back signings into account in a comparison, you would have to be looking at what Newcastle will be spending in the winter of the 2030/31 season.

If you're going to do those sorts of comparisons you need to reflect the market rates at the time. Robinho was the most expensive signing in 2008 and according to the site below, his value adjusted for inflation would be £95m

https://theshortfuse.sbnation.com/2...sfer-inflation-transfer-records-top-transfers

larus

They haven’t spent mega-bucks though have they.

They’ve not done what both Manc clubs have done and, from what they’d said, they don’t intend to. Now that may change, but IMO a lot of the improvements is from Howe and sensible recruitment.

Your usual garbage.
Newcastle fans think £13m Burn was a good buy - so it’s subjective.
£25m for a proven PL striker is nothing - so the fee for Wood is not extortionate. Strikers cost more.
Trippier - £12m - wow. How do you know what his wages are? Guesswork and probably wrong.
Pope - £10m

So, £63m. Less than 1 Cucu. Yep, they’re really splashed the cash.

As for what they do in the future - that’s frigging irrelevant to what Howe has done with a lot of the same players which is what I stated. You really should think before posting.

I’ll keep it simple for you.

My point was that they’ve not spent big like the Manc clubs, Chelsea etc. Yes, they’ve added players but not to the extent that was predicted when they were bought by the Saudis. People were saying that they would be throwing hundreds of millions and buying big players. Well, that clearly hasn’t happened.

I never said they’d not bought players - I said they were still using a lot of the same players and had done some recruitment. Most PL clubs buy/sell players all of the time.

Here’s my original post for you:

“They haven’t spent mega-bucks though have they.

They’ve not done what both Manc clubs have done and, from what they’d said, they don’t intend to. Now that may change, but IMO a lot of the improvements is from Howe and sensible recruitment.”

My original post was that they haven’t spent the big bucks and that is correct and I EXPLICITLY referenced the Manc clubs as an example. Man C (another oil club) spent more on 2 fullbacks than we spent on our stadium.
So I stick to my point, Newcastle have not done that. Jeez, Burn was £13m, less than we spent on Webster.

The wage list is ONE measure. You said I wouldn't know what Trippier was paid. It's easy enough to find out that he's on 145k a week or so and that Newcastle's wage bill has grown significantly under the Saudis.

Never mind. Let's try net transfer spend. In fact, let's move on from Burn and Wood, neither of whom will feature significantly in a season or so and just look at this window. Ignoring the rumour that they're about to spend £60 million (very much Man City area money) on Isak (Ornstien is an even more reliable source than the BBC) and look at the difference between spend out and income in.

Here Newcastle lie in 8th place but will go top 4 if they spend 60m on Isak and don't sell anyone significant.

https://www.sportingnews.com/uk/soc...ez-Richarlison-Jesus/l0rj2wd9arkzt7goqkkri6ps

Furthermore Man City have MADE 34 million this window. The only club to have a better net spend? Brighton.

As previously stated, IMO they have not spent like Man C, Man U nor Chelsea, even though that was the expectation. Based on when I made the original which was before they broke their transfer record, my point at that time was correct.
Some investment was required and none of the fees were really extortionate. Jeez, not like Sock-Boy for £100m - and you want to use Man C as a benchmark for financial propriety :shootself. Anyone apart from a re_tard would realise that Man C have paid high/excessive transfer fees over the years and also pay high wages, but oh no, you want to use one window where they've sold a number of players as evidence of prudence.

Why move on from Burn and Ward? - the discussion was based on the improvement in Newcastle since Howe took over. Do you understand that? How were they preforming when he took over and how are they performing now based on who they have bought. As you say that they overpaid for Burn, you must think that Burn is a relatively poor player, so he must be getting coached well to be playing so well. It really is not that complicated - well, unless you have limited brain cells.

Also, trying to use transfer activity which happened after my original post is pathetic - but coming from you that's par for the course. You really are a sad individual - lose the debate and then try to reframe.

By the way, I won't be replying to whatever you post back - it would be a complete waste of time as you don't have the capacity to stick the the original point.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
As previously stated, IMO they have not spent like Man C, Man U nor Chelsea, even though that was the expectation. Based on when I made the original which was before they broke their transfer record, my point at that time was correct.
Some investment was required and none of the fees were really extortionate. Jeez, not like Sock-Boy for £100m - and you want to use Man C as a benchmark for financial propriety :shootself. Anyone apart from a re_tard would realise that Man C have paid high/excessive transfer fees over the years and also pay high wages, but oh no, you want to use one window where they've sold a number of players as evidence of prudence.

Why move on from Burn and Ward? - the discussion was based on the improvement in Newcastle since Howe took over. Do you understand that? How were they preforming when he took over and how are they performing now based on who they have bought. As you say that they overpaid for Burn, you must think that Burn is a relatively poor player, so he must be getting coached well to be playing so well. It really is not that complicated - well, unless you have limited brain cells.

Also, trying to use transfer activity which happened after my original post is pathetic - but coming from you that's par for the course. You really are a sad individual - lose the debate and then try to reframe.

By the way, I won't be replying to whatever you post back - it would be a complete waste of time as you don't have the capacity to stick the the original point.

THIS is what you were doing five minutes before kick off?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
THIS is what you were doing five minutes before kick off?

Silly people.PNG

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

200m+ in the last two windows.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

[MENTION=240]larus[/MENTION] is quite capable of stating that black is white despite an absolute mountain of evidence to the contrary. If the conspiracy threads aren't sufficient evidence then the 750+ posts on another well known long running NSC thread on another sub forum should provide it :lolol:

larus

Maybe if you read the whole thread you’d realise how stupid your post is.

My post was BEFORE their recent signing and based on a comparison to big signings from he limes and Man C, Man U, Chelsea.

I never said they’d not designed players, but paying £13m for Burn does not equate to £63 for Cucu for example.

Try reading before commenting - you might not make yourself look so foolish.

larus

[MENTION=240]larus[/MENTION] is quite capable of stating that black is white despite an absolute mountain of evidence to the contrary. If the conspiracy threads aren't sufficient evidence then the 750+ posts on another well known long running NSC thread on another sub forum should provide it :lolol:

Says the guy who supplied paper clips to the government - what a loser 😂

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I don’t want to say it. But yes. We have played every team we have played so far off the park. Not even close.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I don’t want to say it. But yes. We have played every team we have played so far off the park. Not even close.

To be fair we've only beaten Manchester United away, a team in Europe away and the Champions of Europe.

Let's see where we are when we play someone decent.......

:moo:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

My post was BEFORE their recent signing and based on a comparison to big signings from he limes and Man C, Man U, Chelsea.

I never said they’d not designed players, but paying £13m for Burn does not equate to £63 for Cucu for example.

Maybe wait until the window has closed and spending finished next time before posting your horseshit :laugh:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

….and what are ‘he limes’ ? :laugh:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports